Nickle and diming, no problem as long as NCL gives us a better product

skeeter195

I would have absolutely no problem with all of NCL's recent changes as long as they can give us a better product. Banning water, soda, etc and making people pay for everything on board is fine. Charging for room service, same thing. The list goes on and on, all no problem.

NCL can not have it both ways. They can either be a fine steakhouse and charge more for their product or a McDonalds. Both will make their owners boat loads of money, but you cannot serve a $1 hamburger at a steak house or charge $8 for an order of fries in McDonalds. NCL is just to big to be that fine steakhouse. If they want to become that type of cruise line then many, many changes need to be made. The whole freestyle concept just goes against finer things. The freestyle dress code is what it is and it is not by any means on the finer side of things.

NCL has a great product to offer the budget traveler with a high end, separate option for the traveler wanting more.

By forcing the budget traveler(McDonalds) to pay steakhouse prices it just will not work for long.

I myself like to travel either way, but when I am on NCL I do not want to be pressured into the "steakhouse" all of the time.

I really do not understand your point either. They started charging for room service, and increased the menu substantially. The quality of food offered for room service has also improved. You can sail NCL for not a whole heck of a lot of money. You can drink the included beverages, and eat in the included restaurants, without paying extra. Or, you can upgrade everything if you want. I don't see where anyone is being forced to spend more money.

Sorry, I don't understand your point. NCL offers a great all inclusive experience and a number of upcharge options for anyone who wants to pay for that experience.

They are not 'nickle and diming' anyone.

By forcing passengers to spend $47.00 for a 12 pack of water, instead of bringing their own supermarket brands for less than $4.00 per pack, they are going "overboard." We should not be charged over and above what we'd pay at our local market.

Water is a necessity for most of us. We need it for hydration, as well as taking meds. Soda is for pleasure and personal tastes.

Charging high prices for bottled water is not just nickle and dimeing, but absolute gouging.

By forcing passengers to spend $47.00 for a 12 pack of water, instead of bringing their own supermarket brands for less than $4.00 per pack, they are going "overboard." We should not be charged over and above what we'd pay at our local market.

Water is a necessity for most of us. We need it for hydration, as well as taking meds. Soda is for pleasure and personal tastes.

Charging high prices for bottled water is not just nickle and dimeing, but absolute gouging.

Water is free on NCL. Just bring a water bottle.

There are water dispensers at every drink station.

(I'm typically not one to defend these NCL clawbacks but I quite like the ship's drinking water, at least on GA, and presenting this argument as forced dehydration is specious.)

They aren't forcing anyone to buy water. Good grief! I've never paid for water on a ship! Many people don't. Some prefer to buy water, and that's fine. But it's not like you aren't given a choice.

They aren't forcing anyone to buy water. Good grief! I've never paid for water on a ship! Many people don't. Some prefer to buy water, and that's fine. But it's not like you aren't given a choice.

You have a choice between the ship's water or Aquafina, which is nothing tap water that has been purified. I don't have a problem with ship's water personally but I know that others do. There used to be a third choice- bring your own, but of course that is no longer a choice.

And if you can't tolerate the ship's water for some reason? Not everyone is able to for one reason or another.

Correct. Then those people choose to buy the water, or stay home clutching their perfect water.

It's a lie to say people are forced to buy water. Completely untrue. It's one thing to be unhappy about a policy, but it's another thing to make **** up to make it seem worse than it is.

.. and presenting this argument as forced dehydration is specious.)

+1 and getting tedious now.

You cannot expect things to be the same price as in your local market, that's completely unrealistic. You need to compare it to prices in a hotel or restaurant to even come close, they aren't hauling the items into the middle of the ocean.

Cruise on the Escape and you'll know exactly where NCL are going and it's exciting - especially as it's just the beginning. Let's see what Joy brings, then the builds after her.

If it means people can't bring Costco sized packs of water onboard then so be it.

Correct. Then those people choose to buy the water, or stay home clutching their perfect water.

It's a lie to say people are forced to buy water. Completely untrue. It's one thing to be unhappy about a policy, but it's another thing to make **** up to make it seem worse than it is.

Whether something is forced or not depends largely upon perception and while you or I might not see it that way if some does then I can certainly appreciate their position.

Whether something is forced or not depends largely upon perception and while you or I might not see it that way if some does then I can certainly appreciate their position.

It's not forced. Plain and simple. It's not. Never ever has NCL said that passengers are required to purchase water. It's not perception. It's a fact.

But it's not a "matter of perception." It's an actual fact. There is free, drinkable water on the ship. It's available at every drinking station, not to mention the faucets in the stateroom. If somebody doesn't like that water it doesn't change the fact that water is available. It's safe, potable water and - absent some medical evidence that somebody is allergic to it - any choice not to drink it is just that - a choice. And when you have a choice, you are not being "forced" into anything.

It's not forced. Plain and simple. It's not. Never ever has NCL said that passengers are required to purchase water. It's not perception. It's a fact.

But it's not a "matter of perception." It's an actual fact. There is free, drinkable water on the ship. It's available at every drinking station, not to mention the faucets in the stateroom. If somebody doesn't like that water it doesn't change the fact that water is available. It's safe, potable water and - absent some medical evidence that somebody is allergic to it - any choice not to drink it is just that - a choice. And when you have a choice, you are not being "forced" into anything.

We aren't talking court of law. If someone feels that they have no choice and that they are being forced to do something then from their point of view that is all that matters, they'll make future decisions based on that perception. How you or I view it is irrelevent and telling them they are wrong isn't going to change their view or their opinion.

And if you can't tolerate the ship's water for some reason? Not everyone is able to for one reason or another.

Then that person should not be sailing, period, end of story. The same potable water is used everywhere on the ship, in all food prep, ice, beverages, sinks, showers. You can't avoid it.

The water on the ship is perfectly safe, probably better then most municipal sources.

I agree with Barb that $47 for water is way over the top. Yes, you can drink the water out of a faucet or carry a water bottle and refill. However for those who choose to purchase water the pricing should be less. It is $3.99 for a case of water on Carnival which is nice for those who wish to make that purchase. Affordable options for water should be offered.

We aren't talking court of law. If someone feels that they have no choice and that they are being forced to do something then from their point of view that is all that matters, they'll make future decisions based on that perception. How you or I view it is irrelevent and telling them they are wrong isn't going to change their view or their opinion.

But, again, someone's feeling or opinion isn't a fact. Facts are not optional and do not change based on someone's belief. That's not just true in a court of law, it's true in life. And it's a fact, a truth, that safe, drinkable water is available for free on the ship. Whether it tastes good or not is an opinion. And, as a side note, if this debate isn't the very definition of a first world problem, then I don't know what is. There are millions, if not billions, of people in this world who would kill for the water provided on cruise ships.

In any case, anybody who believes they are forced to buy bottled water on the ship is simply wrong. They are not forced to do so anymore than they are forced to pay for room service because they don't want to go to the buffet or are forced to pay for specialty dining because they don't like the main dining room. Deciding to pay for something because you don't care for the free alternative is - again - a choice, not a requirement.

And yes, there may be people who choose not to cruise on NCL because of this policy change. I would never tell somebody they were wrong to make a decision based on policies they disagree with. And I'm not telling people they are wrong to be unhappy about the new policy or wrong to change cruise lines. I very firmly believe that people should do what is best for them and NCL is not that, then don't sail on them.

But if somebody tells me that because of the new policy, they are "forced" to buy bottled water, I will tell them they are wrong. Because they are.

I agree with Barb that $47 for water is way over the top. Yes, you can drink the water out of a faucet or carry a water bottle and refill. However for those who choose to purchase water the pricing should be less. It is $3.99 for a case of water on Carnival which is nice for those who wish to make that purchase. Affordable options for water should be offered.
If you read MissJessicaB's response from NCL, they told her that they were looking into the price of bottle water.

I got a phone call from NCL today in response to my email to the VP. The person was polite and friendly and answered my questions about the quality of the water. He also let me know that they are looking into the price of the bottled water but that no decision had been made yet.

I really appreciate the personal response I got from NCL and I'm glad they are looking into it. Multi million dollar corporations don't usually change policies on a dime, but it's good to know they are reviewing it.

But let us all remember, that NCL is not Carnival and they don't have to mirror their policies. If it is important that someone pay $3.99 for a case of water, then they should consider Carnival over any other cruise line.

Then that person should not be sailing, period, end of story. The same potable water is used everywhere on the ship, in all food prep, ice, beverages, sinks, showers. You can't avoid it.

The water on the ship is perfectly safe, probably better then most municipal sources.

I used to live onboard ships so I'm well aware how safe it is.

But, again, someone's feeling or opinion isn't a fact. Facts are not optional and do not change based on someone's belief. That's not just true in a court of law, it's true in life. And it's a fact, a truth, that safe, drinkable water is available for free on the ship. Whether it tastes good or not is an opinion. And, as a side note, if this debate isn't the very definition of a first world problem, then I don't know what is. There are millions, if not billions, of people in this world who would kill for the water provided on cruise ships.

In any case, anybody who believes they are forced to buy bottled water on the ship is simply wrong. They are not forced to do so anymore than they are forced to pay for room service because they don't want to go to the buffet or are forced to pay for specialty dining because they don't like the main dining room. Deciding to pay for something because you don't care for the free alternative is - again - a choice, not a requirement.

And yes, there may be people who choose not to cruise on NCL because of this policy change. I would never tell somebody they were wrong to make a decision based on policies they disagree with. And I'm not telling people they are wrong to be unhappy about the new policy or wrong to change cruise lines. I very firmly believe that people should do what is best for them and NCL is not that, then don't sail on them.

But if somebody tells me that because of the new policy, they are "forced" to buy bottled water, I will tell them they are wrong. Because they are.

If someone thinks that Evian is a better product than Aquafina good luck trying to convince them that their opinion is wrong. (I do agree that most people mix the two up but if someone has a strongly held opinion to them it's fact and no amount of reasoning is going to change it).

I really appreciate the personal response I got from NCL and I'm glad they are looking into it. Multi million dollar corporations don't usually change policies on a dime, but it's good to know they are reviewing it.

But let us all remember, that NCL is not Carnival and they don't have to mirror their policies. If it is important that someone pay $3.99 for a case of water, then they should consider Carnival over any other cruise line.

Thank you for taking the time to write to NCL about the pricing. True NCL does not have to mirror Carnival pricing for water. It is nice they are looking into the pricing for those who choose to purchase water. Each company has to set prices according to the way they wish to do business. I seriously doubt one would choose a cruise line based on the price of the water. Well at least I would not.:)

I welcome and respect the opinions of everyone in this post.

My opinion is...I honestly don't think NCL charges more than other 4 cruise lines I have traveled on.

There are always activities that are included and some that are not. There are always going to be restaurants that are included and some that are not. I have taken cruises where I have done no excursions and some where I have done multiple. In the end, every cruise was still a great cruise!

As for the water/soda change, yes, I think it sucks, and I was frustrated when I heard about it. But change is change, I wasn't going to cancel my vacation over bottled water when I can bring a filtered water bottle with me on board to use. I doubt I will see anyone complain about the ice in their UBP drinks..

Charging for room service? I don't see this as nickeling and diming. You, as the passenger, are making the decision to have food delivered conveniently to your cabin, so that you don't have to go get it yourself upstairs. Providing that food delivered to you is above and beyond of the typical service that is offered in the dining room, so I think it's justified in the extra cost.

DCL Platinum Castaway Club ~ Ready for Norwegian Escape September 17-24 2016!

But that's what NCL says they're doing by banning water/sodas from being brought onboard:

From Fox News:

Quote "NCL claims its new policy brings it in line with its competitors. That’s true for alcohol, but most other cruise lines – including Celebrity, Disney, Royal Caribbean and Princess – either permit guests to bring soft drinks and bottled water on board, or do not mention those items at all." End Quote

Thank you for taking the time to write to NCL about the pricing. True NCL does not have to mirror Carnival pricing for water. It is nice they are looking into the pricing for those who choose to purchase water. Each company has to set prices according to the way they wish to do business. I seriously doubt one would choose a cruise line based on the price of the water. Well at least I would not.:)
It wasn't me who wrote, it was MissJessicaB, as I've got no issue with the policy, as I've never brought on water or soda on any of my cruises.

It is funny, I also cruise on Celebrity and yes, I can get water included in their beverage package, but it is going to cost me considerably more than I pay on NCL. Take December 16, 2017. I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Celebrity for $1,099/$1,204/$1,414 per person in a balcony (depending on if I pick 1, 2 or 3 of the perks offered: Beverage Package, $150 OBC, prepaid tips, unlimited internet). I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on NCL for $899 per person in a balcony and the choice of 2 perks offered (beverage package, shore excursion, 250 internet minutes, SDP). Even if you do apples to apples, Celebrity would cost me $1,204 (with two perks included) and NCL would cost me $899 (with two perks included) for a balcony cabin. I think with the $300 savings, I could afford to purchase the water at NCL's current prices. I think one has to look at the entire picture when picking cruises, not just one policy.