onboarding/offboarding/ports/etc?

texswing

heading out on carnival in 17 days. i have checked the fttf every day for 3 months with no success so i assume i am not getting it. family of 4 (13, 11 yr old kids) and curious about what to expect. i know my "checked" bags will be taken away, scanned and delivered to our room later. is that typically 2-3 hours later? i have read (thanks to this awesome site) to take a "carry on" loaded with pool gear, etc to get us through those few hours before we go to our room. any input on what to have with us? what about at ports? how long does it take to get off the boat? i am booking a fishing trip but it leaves 30 minutes after the boat docks, will i have enough time to get there?

give me all the tips/tricks to getting on the boat...i get a bit impatient waiting with large crowds (mental deficiency of mine, i know). i am in "cruise mode" so i can handle it but just wondering if getting on the boat is a 5 hour long beating? preparing myself ahead of time.

thanks in advance.

heading out on carnival in 17 days. i have checked the fttf every day for 3 months with no success so i assume i am not getting it. family of 4 (13, 11 yr old kids) and curious about what to expect. i know my "checked" bags will be taken away, scanned and delivered to our room later. is that typically 2-3 hours later? i have read (thanks to this awesome site) to take a "carry on" loaded with pool gear, etc to get us through those few hours before we go to our room. any input on what to have with us? what about at ports? how long does it take to get off the boat? i am booking a fishing trip but it leaves 30 minutes after the boat docks, will i have enough time to get there?

give me all the tips/tricks to getting on the boat...i get a bit impatient waiting with large crowds (mental deficiency of mine, i know). i am in "cruise mode" so i can handle it but just wondering if getting on the boat is a 5 hour long beating? preparing myself ahead of time.

thanks in advance.

Without FTTF or Priority status I would expect bags to arrive after 3pm, but sometimes they do not arrive until after the ship sails. You will be able to access your room at 1:30. Good idea to have pool gear etc for the kids so they can swim. Just will have to change in a public restroom if they want to swim before then.

Is your fishing trip in a docked port or a tendered port? That makes a huge difference.

Once the ship is docked the local authorities come onboard and "clear" the vessel. They will make an announcement that the gangway is open and you can proceed to your meeting point for the fishing trip. You should have no problem meeting your tour.

If you booked a fishing trip in a tendered port, you may have a problem. Those first off will be people who booked a Carnival tour. Those who want to go ashore early will have to secure a tender ticket from the announced location. You need to have your entire party ready to go when you get the tender tickets. Then, they call them by number. If you get a high tender number you won't be getting off the ship for a couple of hours. After a certain point they open the tenders to all, and you don't need a ticket.

As for embarkation, are you leaving from a port with staggered boarding? If so, then you need to get an early check in time so that you can get in the terminal and get checked in and get a boarding card with a low number. After the weddings, Diamond and Platinum and FTTF then they start calling the numbers. You will have a wait in the terminal, but will be onboard quickly if you get there early.

Your other option is to arrive late, but at least 90 minutes before departure is scheduled. Most people will be onboard already, rooms will be available for all and you should be able to check in and just walk onboard.

Debarkation in the home port will depend on where your cabin is located and/or whether or not you have an early flight unless you do self assist. Then, you will have to be able to take all of your stuff off the ship without any assistance. If you have too much stuff for that then you put your checked bags out the night before and they will be in the terminal. You keep your citizenship documents and carry on bags with you. You will be assigned a numbered tag and told where to wait. When it is time for your number to debark they come to that area and let you know you can proceed to the gangway. They provide a sheet with the estimated departure times.

I am Diamond and DH is Platinum so we always get a #1 and are off between 8:00 and 8:30 am on most cruises. We have not had to do regular embarkation and debarkation since September 2006, so I am sure others can fill in the details I missed.

If you don't pack some patience you will be miserable. You have to get in line to get in the terminal, get in line for security, get in line to check in and get in line to board. How long the process takes depends on when you arrive at the terminal and when you get off depends on which deck your cabin is located. Not much you can do except grin and bear it. Personally, I find the long boat drill the most mind numbing part of the first day.

thanks in advance.

Welcome to cruise critic. First you will be boarding a ship, not a boat. If you need to get in and out of the boat you are in big trouble guy :D. Boats are those little things that hang on the side of a ship. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Getting on the ship at the beginning of the cruise is much different then at each port. All you need to get on and off is your sea pass and a DL. You don't say if you are tendering or not. Tendering is when you take those little boats and put them in the water to get to shore. I'm assuming you are not. That means that under normal circumstances you will be off the boat shortly after it docks. Saying it arrives at 7:00 usually means you can get off around 7:10. Whether you can make your fishing depends also on whether you are meeting on the dock or must meet somewhere else. If you are meeting on the dock then 30 minutes is probably fine.

Be aware on any excursion you will take, most likely the tour guide knows what time your ship is due in. They don't want to lose your business or have you bad mouth them on line so they are going to do everything possible to make sure you make your tour.

Also, when you board you will probably grab something to eat. This will take up part of your wait time. In all my cruises I have never seen more then a handful of people swimming upon boarding. They are too busy eating lunch or have already found their room or are exploring the ship. For your first cruise I recommend starting at the top of the ship and walking each deck. That way you know what is there.

On the last night, if you are putting your luggage out for the crew/porters to take off the ship; please remember not to pack your next days clothes.

Unless of course you want to walk around the morning and getting of the ship in your jammies:eek::D

Edited by Philob

wow, thanks for the responses. we are leaving from port Canaveral on the magic. the fishing trip is scheduled for san juan (docked, not tender).

As for embarkation, are you leaving from a port with staggered boarding? If so, then you need to get an early check in time so that you can get in the terminal and get checked in and get a boarding card with a low number. After the weddings, Diamond and Platinum and FTTF then they start calling the numbers. You will have a wait in the terminal, but will be onboard quickly if you get there early.

Your other option is to arrive late, but at least 90 minutes before departure is scheduled. Most people will be onboard already, rooms will be available for all and you should be able to check in and just walk onboard

i dont know about embarkation, where would i find that? we are staying at a hotel near the cruise port so i guess we can show up at the boatship ;) anytime we want that day. what i am reading is that we show up, get a number and then wait for our number? sounds like getting there early isnt really a good idea since we have to wait for all the pros to get on board?

wow, thanks for the responses. we are leaving from port Canaveral on the magic. the fishing trip is scheduled for san juan (docked, not tender).

i dont know about embarkation, where would i find that? we are staying at a hotel near the cruise port so i guess we can show up at the boatship ;) anytime we want that day. what i am reading is that we show up, get a number and then wait for our number? sounds like getting there early isnt really a good idea since we have to wait for all the pros to get on board?

You probably can show up any time from 10:00 AM on - that would essentially guarantee at least a two to three hour boarding process. If waiting is not your thing, you might want to show up at about 1:30 PM - all the early birds would have boarded, and you would have a good chance of breezing right through. You could still get some lunch, and your cabin would almost certainly be ready for you as soon as you boarded. Your carry-on should have all your valuables, any meds, and a change of clothes just in case your luggage gets delayed.

Enjoy your cruise.

heading out on carnival in 17 days. i have checked the fttf every day for 3 months with no success so i assume i am not getting it.

Don't give up on FTTF. Keep checking. It is a long-shot, but it does sometimes still become available.

Be sure to pack your patience along with your carry-on. The check-in and boarding process is long, but the employees at the Port do their best to help it along and entertain while you are waiting. Basically, the earlier you arrive, the lower your boarding group number (they board by group). If you arrive at 10:00, it could take as long as 2 hours without FTTF. Arriving after 1:30, as mentioned before, will drastically reduce the wait and your room will be ready.

Be sure to pack at least your pool gear, medications, ID's, and anything else that you couldn't live without until after dinner. Chances are that your luggage will arrive before then, but it has been known to come after dinner on the first day. A little planning never hurts.

thanks again everyone. not worried about the bags being delayed, my only concern is sitting there waiting for 3 hours. sounds like taking the hotel shuttle around 1pm might be the ticket. on quick(er) and room ready, or at least close to being ready. did i get it?

thanks again everyone. not worried about the bags being delayed, my only concern is sitting there waiting for 3 hours. sounds like taking the hotel shuttle around 1pm might be the ticket. on quick(er) and room ready, or at least close to being ready. did i get it?

Yup ... as long as your hotel will let you stick around that long. At most hotels, check out is prior to noon.

I really wouldn't stress over it. The time passes quickly if you do have to wait.

I WEAR my swimsuit (under my clothes!) for boarding day! We eat a LATE breakfast so we don't have to do lunch as our first "onboard" thing! The pool is not crowded until later in the day, so heading to the pool, getting a drink and starting my vacation is how we do it! I would head to port around 11:30 or so....it will be about a 20 min ride, depending on where you're staying.

Edited by cb at sea

This may just be me but in 7 cruises we have always arrived around 10:30am and been on the ship before noon.

Also, remember you can bring on one bottle of wine per adult as well as pop/soda and water. Make sure it goes in your carry on though. Saves a lot of money.

This may just be me but in 7 cruises we have always arrived around 10:30am and been on the ship before noon.

Also' date=' remember you can bring on one bottle of wine per adult as well as pop/soda and water. Make sure it goes in your carry on though. Saves a lot of money.[/quote']

Can't bring bottles, even plastic ones, on Carnival anymore so unless the water is in cans (??!!) can't bring on water. And i think soda is now limited to one 12-pack.

Edited by NMLady

When we 1st board the ship, we like to explore. The kids may want to check out camp Carnival & the adults may want to familiarize themselves with the layout of the ship. Cans of soda are allowed in your carryon as well as a bottle of wine per adult (750ml or less.) Have fun

My wife and I seem to arrive at the port different times for each cruise embarkation. We've arrived as early as 11:30a.m. and as late as 2:30p.m. The best time was 2:30p.m. There were no lines and after we checked in, we just walked on the ship without delay. We don't expect to do much when we first board, so we only carry a small bag with us. Even with a small bag, it didn't feel like a vacation yet. So it is more important to us to get into the stateroom and put our small bags away than to get our checked bags. As far as port excursions go, we rarely book cruise ship excursions and there has never been a problem for us to book an excursion on our own. Never missed an excursion and never missed a ship leaving the port.