Avalon-What's your favorite thing/memory

Rebel54

Please share what made Avalon special for you?

Hmmmm! Let me count the ways ;). Seriously, if I had to pick one thing it would be the beautiful "suite" cabins with the wall of windows. That one thing probably separates this company from the others that we have had the opportunity to sail with. Food, service and staff have all been great no matter the company. I am sure others will have different opinions.

Cole

It's been a while since we were on the Felicity but I do remember the fantastic dinners served every night, the wonderful people we met on the cruise, the friendly staff who always greeted you with a smile and most of all our CD - Robert, who always wore shoes to match his shirt. It was a fantastic trip.

I am thinking of doing another river cruise perhaps in 2018 depending upon world events. The only thing I don't like is the 12 hr journey to get there.

Last September we took our first river cruise with Avalon on the Creativity itinerary Paris to Normandy. This was our fourth river cruise .. We have been on two Uniworld's and one AMA. We loved Uniworld and last summer Avalon was having a fantastic sale we couldn't resist. A little apprehensive would we be disappointed but it was wonderful. Our favorite part of the cruise was the nightly entertainer by the name of Merlin from Bulgaria. After dinner we would proceed to the lounge and listen and dance to talented Merlin. Our friends traveled with us and they were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and Merlin made it a very special evening. Just comparing Uniworld with Avalon I think Uniworld was more upscale. But would defintely travel with Avalon again.

We have been on 5 Avalon cruises so there are many great memories.

Here are two examples from our 2015 sailings.

On our Rhone and Salone sailing, we were invited by our Captain to spend time with him on the Bridge. We went in small groups and he showed us the instruments and he answered our questions. We also were invited to tour the hot and cold kitchens on the ship after the Head Chef explained how their Culinary program operates. This cruise went from Arle to Chalone-sur-Saone and many of the other companies do not travel that distance. These tours are more doable on a ship that carries 130 max passengers rather than 190.

On our Mekong cruise on the Avalon ship named, Siem Reap, our voyage in late September was the first time in 2015 that there was enough water on the Tonle Sap lake to sail from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. It was special for us as passengers as well as for the crew since this ship was specially designed to sail between these cities. We saw only one other ship on this crossing. The "V" ships stayed docked in Phnom Penh.

Thank you guys. Helps add to my excitement. I can't wait until I can say ___ was my favorite thing about my Avalon Cruise!

One of my favorites on our first river cruise on the Avalon Affinity was at Viviers, we leisurely walked up (about 35 minutes) to the Cathedral St Vincent and listened to an organ recital put on for us, it was beautiful.The Cathedral itself would have been just a treat to visit.

In the afternoon locals from Viviers came in to supply us with a table laden with pastries, just wonderful.

I am about to depart tor my 10th Avalon cruise (with the 11th booked already for June 2017). Each trip was,fantastic. I have repeated several cruises and love that,while the ships and crew are wonderful, I love what a cruise director can do to make the cruise so special.

Robert was awesome! He was our first CD. I am still in touch with both of my France CD's: Yvette Laurent and Tony Jenkins.

One cruise was the President's Cruise on which Patrick Clark,and his wife joined us. So nice to meet both of them.

I have been on the maiden voyage of the Affinity and the final cruise of the Scenery.

This year's cruise is on the Passion. Can't wait.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmmm! Let me count the ways ;). Seriously, if I had to pick one thing it would be the beautiful "suite" cabins with the wall of windows. That one thing probably separates this company from the others that we have had the opportunity to sail with. Food, service and staff have all been great no matter the company. I am sure others will have different opinions.

Cole

That was my thought, I love the new Panorama suites on these ships where the window faces out the wall of windows. That was a major improvement in ship design compared to the traditional design.

I, also, love the ease of this kind of vacation. We travel on our own a lot, and it is kind of nice to not have to plan everything, but to just go with the flow.

The downside, to this kind (not specific to Avalon) is the much higher cost compared to doing the same trip on your own.

JC

That was my thought, I love the new Panorama suites on these ships where the window faces out the wall of windows. That was a major improvement in ship design compared to the traditional design.

I, also, love the ease of this kind of vacation. We travel on our own a lot, and it is kind of nice to not have to plan everything, but to just go with the flow.

The downside, to this kind (not specific to Avalon) is the much higher cost compared to doing the same trip on your own.

JC

The main reason I chose Avalon was how much I loved the suites. I do agree I could have done the trip cheaper on our own but the river cruise really appealed to me.

Just returned from Avalon Impression. The ship was beautiful, but the dedicated crew and an amazing cruise director, Valentin Gheorghe, made the trip so smooth and such fun. Would book Avalon again, but this first cruise (Legendary Danube) will be hard to beat.

I am about to depart tor my 10th Avalon cruise (with the 11th booked already for June 2017). Each trip was,fantastic. I have repeated several cruises and love that,while the ships and crew are wonderful, I love what a cruise director can do to make the cruise so special.

Robert was awesome! He was our first CD. I am still in touch with both of my France CD's: Yvette Laurent and Tony Jenkins.

One cruise was the President's Cruise on which Patrick Clark,and his wife joined us. So nice to meet both of them.

I have been on the maiden voyage of the Affinity and the final cruise of the Scenery.

This year's cruise is on the Passion. Can't wait.

Pat

We had Yvette on our first river cruise. We loved her style. She treated us as mature adults.

I have done Grand France twice. The first time my husband was having heart failure issues so I missed some of the ports. Last year

Grand France was a wine-themed cruise.

I have done Amsterdam to Budapest and Budapest to Amsterdam. This year I am repeating the Vienna to the Black Sea cruise and am taking different included and optional tours.

Pat

Just returned from Avalon Impression. The ship was beautiful, but the dedicated crew and an amazing cruise director, Valentin Gheorghe, made the trip so smooth and such fun. Would book Avalon again, but this first cruise (Legendary Danube) will be hard to beat.

Hello, I'm wondering if you can share you're experience on the Impression with regard to noise levels.i have a friend who has booked a suite on the Sapphire Deck Aft and is concerned if a light sleeper such as he can get a goodnight's rest at that part of the boat. Thanks in advance!