NCL Does Not "Nickle and Dime"

boatseller

Did not NCL start charging for upcharges in the MDR?

Does NCL not charge for some of their better entertainment? Other cruise lines never charge anything for any entertainment venue.

No charge for taking pictures? How nice!

EVERY cruise line and EVERY vacation resort nickel and dimes their customers. Some are worse than others. Why should NCL be immune from criticism or discussing it?

I stay at Hilton resorts all over the country. They are even worse for nickel and diming than NCL. They have a huge outdoor parking lot but they charge you to park your car, even on your own. They add $10 "resort" fee to your bill every night of your stay. In a sense they are charging you to use the pool, hot tubs, bikes, etc even if you never use any of it. The resort "fee" entitles you to one free appetizer each day. However no drinks are included so the resort actually makes money because most people would order drinks to go with their appetizer (pure genius on their part). They charge you for internet service. They charge you extra if you bring a dog. The list goes on and on. If this was a hotel forum, would it not be fair to discus these extra charges without some going crazy and leaping to defend Hilton resorts?

Get the idea?

Actually I think Carnival was the first to charge for specific items in the MDR, that was for the steak. NCL followed with that trend but Carnival started that one.

So ... the people who serve drinks to those in suites shouldn't be compensated as well? The 18 percent gratuity is waved for suite members.

No, the 18 percent gratuity charged on drink packages is not about the gratuity. It is about another way to increase revenue. If it was really about the gratuity, NCL would apply it to each drink ordered, not on the entire package, which is grossly overpriced.

When we cruise on another cruise line where we have certain loyalty perks, like a daily free happy hour, we tip our servers for every drink we order. We are not opposed to tipping. We tip on each drink served -- not on an entire package.

Yes, we are don't have to sail on NCL and we don't have to accept their 'free' drink package. Unfortunately, we purchased a future cruise deposit the last time we sailed on NCL a couple of years ago and we need to use it within several months or we lose it. That is why I still look at NCL's message board and still look for cruises with them.

The first cruise we ever went on was with NCL ten years ago. We are one cruise away from Platinum. We used to really like it. But I don't think we are alone in being annoyed at the way they advertise Free At Sea when it is anything but free.

No. As I indicated earlier NCLH, the parent company is listed on the US stock market. That means that it has to follow US accounting rules in its filings. Gratuities collected and paid out to employees are not reported as income or expense. If NCL was keeping any of that money then it would need to be reported as revenue and their SEC filings would have to list changes in the program as material information. They do not in any of their filings.

Apparently the system that NCL uses, not unlike other cruise lines is to collect all gratuity money into a pool and then distribute all of those funds to employees in one form or another. An employee does not get money from services he individual performs but instead collects from a pool where all gratuities are placed. That is also why some employees say that they are just getting a salary because from their prospective they do not get the tips from each drink served or room cleaned, but instead receive a fairly consistent amount paid from the pool.

Where do you think most of the bottled water comes from? If you said your tap, you would be right. It's, again, mostly a marketing ploy. There are a few that are spring water, but most of it comes from the local tap, good or bad. There is no regulation.

Actually some of the companies that market as being spring water come from very questionable springs. One plant I know of is actually using ground water from under a dry lake in eastern California.

It would be interesting for someone to file a claim under the PTR for the increased cost to them for the change in policy concerning water. All they should have to show is that water was allowed to be carried on when they booked, that they were not informed of the change in policy prior to their last cancellation date and that they were denied cancelling without penalty in accordance with the requirements of the PTR.

Nothing in the US would allow it, but someone who purchased in the UK might be successful in filing a claim under the PTR.

I could theoretically do it as I'm in the UK. Although the new policy won't increase our costs at all.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Yes, you are because you don't know who actually proposed or made this decision. I guarantee, no C or E level executive proposed this and they certainly didn't draft the policy. That was done by a group of mid-level staffers or managers working with their equivalents at the terminal and onboard. These are the people I know.

I'd be genuinely stunned if Board level involvement went beyond a PowerPoint slide.

And you have no idea why they did this either. Maybe it was a problem at the terminal. Maybe the Porters complained. Maybe there was a theft problem on the ships. Do we all roll out eyes when Marketing says it was for 'security', sure, but I think it's more likely this was done for the crew.

If that's the case ,then the people you know blew it . I'm not sure I agree at what level this decision was made but wonder if it's the same ones who made the no take out from the buffet idea . Either way it is nickle and diming . Either way it is petty and not customer friendly .

This is not about NCL. This is about you and you keep beating a dead horse. What other cruise lines have your precious spring water? If none, then shut up about it. It's not NCL's issue. it's yours.
Wow ! How about ignoring what you don't like ?

CCL did not ban everything. In addition to allowing wine and champagne they allow canned products - they banned water and soda bottles due to the smuggling problem. You are welcome to being a 12 pack of cans for each person - although they won't stop you from bringing a little more, they may stop you from boarding with a few cases.

I didn't say that they did.

No. As I indicated earlier NCLH, the parent company is listed on the US stock market. That means that it has to follow US accounting rules in its filings. Gratuities collected and paid out to employees are not reported as income or expense. If NCL was keeping any of that money then it would need to be reported as revenue and their SEC filings would have to list changes in the program as material information. They do not in any of their filings.

Apparently the system that NCL uses, not unlike other cruise lines is to collect all gratuity money into a pool and then distribute all of those funds to employees in one form or another. An employee does not get money from services he individual performs but instead collects from a pool where all gratuities are placed. That is also why some employees say that they are just getting a salary because from their prospective they do not get the tips from each drink served or room cleaned, but instead receive a fairly consistent amount paid from the pool.

I looked at a financial report and it just gives income, it doesn't break down where that income came from. Of course it may have been a different report than what the SEC requires.

I looked at a financial report and it just gives income, it doesn't break down where that income came from. Of course it may have been a different report than what the SEC requires.

You have to read all of the text. If there is a change in practice that impacts revenue in a material way it must be disclosed. So they would not have to break out the revenue in the numbers, but they would have to disclose that have made a change in their revenue recognition practices and that they were now considering a portion of gratuities as revenue.. It would certainly be material because it would be a practice which is not standard to the industry and certainly impact how analysts view their financials.

There have not been any such statements in their filings over the past several years. That would certainly reinforce that gratuities are being pooled and redistributed to employees.

I wasn't trying to be rude, there are enough of those on this forum. I was just clarifying since a few of the news articles got it wrong.

Didn't take it as rude and thank you for clarifying. With the ability of news organizations to get facts wrong I'm surprised anyone pays attention to them:).

What do you call not reducing the high price of bottled water now that folks cannot bring bottled water aboard?

I agree that the new bottled water policy is ridiculous.

Also, I find the limits on wines that available on the free beverage packages are chicken ----.

I get tired of photographers pestering me for photos and sometimes blocking the way when I want to leave the ship.

I like the free glass of champagne that Celebrity gives me when I enter the ship for the first time and NCL charges for these drinks.

NCL's excursions are generally more expensive than Celebrity's.

Having said this, when I look at the bottom line and pick NCL for a cruise, if the price is good and the best overall deal (considering the above), then I plan on my cruise being a lot of fun and don't fret about the small stuff.

As for the poster that started this thread, all it shows is how much more nickel and dining NCL could become. Don't give them any ideas.

I have only cruised on NCL and really don't have that many cruises under my belt, that said I have never felt nickeled and dimed. I recognize that on the ship I am in a contained environment where I don't have many options - just like at a sporting event - I know that being a captive audience I must either pay the asking price or go without until I am out of that environment. If that means spending $8.00 for a stupid hot dog or $3.00 for a Coke that is only $1.00 at Mickey D's.

I recently read the Cruise Critics comparison of the drink packages across the major lines - most charge gratuities on the entire package, some include more drinks like water, coffee, juice, some have daily drink limits or time limits between drink orders. Some make everybody in the cabin purchase the package some don't.

Bottom line NCL is no better, or worse than the rest of the lines when it comes to beverage packages.

NCL started the DSC program early on in their freestyle concept. They went hand in hand as your servers in the MDR were not going to be the same each night. Plus it included more people behind the scenes - not unlike a restaurant where servers must split their tips with bussers and chefs. Now other lines have followed suit with their own version of the DSC. Do their customers complain as much as these here on the NCL board?

Bingo, art auctions, spa services are all on a do it if you want to - or not.

There is free filtered water all over the ship that is as clean or cleaner than bottled water. It is your choice to pay for bottled water. Once again this is another example of people taking advantage of something that NCL allowed and had to cancel due to abuses by a small minority.

I have to admit that after my last two cruises I realized that ship water has an adverse effect on me. This change is very important to me. It is patently unfair of NCL to make this change for "security purposes" without reducing the cost of bottled water on board.

Royal Caribbean does allow one to take sodas on board. I personally carried on sodas on the cruise we did with them earlier this year, no questions asked and no problems taking it on the boat. I had the alcohol card, but I don't drink coke products. My mtn dew is like other peoples coffee.

Though personally I think almost any business out there can nickel and dime their customers. Its whether we chose to purchase those items. For us we don't buy the pictures and just tell them we don't even want them taken, we don't play bingo. We do drink liquor, we will buy soda cards, we don't buy the ships internet packages, we don't use room service. I also buy the Premium dining package when I go to Disney. Personally I like some of the packages and prefer to have everything taken care of with just one bill. Not constantly tacking on extras.

Royal's written policy is no beverage except for the allowe wine is to be carried aboard. You we're lucky!

Disagree (others don't - fine.) It is not about a nickel (nickle, LOL) and/or a dime, anymore. To me and others, it's about rolls of quarters, rolls of half dollars and rolls of silver dollars. By the bucket fulls in coins - or, not just fives and tens, but twenties and higher (in paper currency, U.S. denominations)

Of course, I understood and respect disclosures by industry insiders and/or working for/affiliated with the cruise business to come here to post and defend.

Feel free to ignore my post - this is cruise critic, not everyone is required to agree. Carry on :D

You have to read all of the text. If there is a change in practice that impacts revenue in a material way it must be disclosed. So they would not have to break out the revenue in the numbers, but they would have to disclose that have made a change in their revenue recognition practices and that they were now considering a portion of gratuities as revenue.. It would certainly be material because it would be a practice which is not standard to the industry and certainly impact how analysts view their financials.

There have not been any such statements in their filings over the past several years. That would certainly reinforce that gratuities are being pooled and redistributed to employees.

The "past several years" comment causes me to question the validity of your statement since NCLH didn't go public until Jan 2013.

Find Norwegian Cruise Line (NCLH) IPO details including filing and offer dates,

... The company did not officially go public until Jan 18, 2013 when it offered ...

The "past several years" comment causes me to question the validity of your statement since NCLH didn't go public until Jan 2013.

Find Norwegian Cruise Line (NCLH) IPO details including filing and offer dates,

... The company did not officially go public until Jan 18, 2013 when it offered ...

Agreed, I thought the same thing.

I've read their financials and they distinguish the revenue by passenger ticket and onboard/other, so there's no breakdown that would show how they're handing the 18% service charge.