Any ideas for Ketchikan non-bear excursion in May?

fletcher57

Hi, I'll be on the Legend for her May 8, 2017 trip to Alaska. I've been told that they don't run the bear trips at that time because they are afraid of disturbing momma bears and cubs. Soooooo, do any of you have any suggestions for a Ketchikan land excursion? Thanks.

We were there last May and will be going again next May 23 , we did the zip line in Ketchikan and it was wonderful. When we go this next time our daughter and her boyfriend and another couple will go with us and we plan on zip lining again.

Creek Street and Dolly's House

Lumberjack Show

RainForest Museum

Deadliest Catch crab boat.

Check if there are any feasts--salmon, crab etc

They're smart not disturbing the bears. Most dangerous animal in the woods are unattended cubs. Never know where mama is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We prefer to sightsee on our own or book independent tours. Here are some of the possible things we might do in Ketchikan on our cruise next May:

Self-guided walking tours (See"Experience Ketchikan" website)

Totem Heritage Center

Totem Bight State Historical Park

Cape Fix Lodge (lunch) and funicular

Southeast Alaska Discovery Center

Kayak Tours (See: "Southeast Exposure", "Southeast Sea Kayaks" and "Ketchikan Kayak Co.")

Snorkeling (See:"Snorkel Alaska")

Hiking--Rainbird Trail or Deer Mountain Trail

Hi, I'll be on the Legend for her May 8, 2017 trip to Alaska. I've been told that they don't run the bear trips at that time because they are afraid of disturbing momma bears and cubs. Soooooo, do any of you have any suggestions for a Ketchikan land excursion? Thanks.

I've been on Alaska cruises 3 times. My very favorite excursion in Ketchikan is the Misty Fjord float plane, especially if the skies are clear. I did that excursion twice because I liked it so much, and booked it through the cruise line both times. You can google for the details. Ketchikan also has shopping right as you exit the ship if you have time to explore on foot. Enjoy Alaska!

Edited by winddawn

We just walked around and did Sourdough tours. Do some research to see how the tours are doing, running and service provided. Our tour was in 2006...so quite a bit could have changed.

Edited by jrmende63

There are numerous tours to take, but the reason there aren't any bear tours- is because there is no salmon. The tours happen when they can concentrate on specifc area where the salmon is and bears feed. Before that- they have hundreds of miles of range and any tours are NOT going to be very successful.

Take a look at your shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Head over to the Alaska board. Just about every option is well reviewed. I most always fly, and greatly enjoy Totem Bight. I've also done car rentals. Many many options

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

We did a float plane trip with Carlin Airservices in early June. Awesome people. My wife was suffering from a master migrane the am we arrived. Long story but they worked with us all day to get my wife her float plane ride. They could've just kept our deposit, but Laura did all she could and we got to do a flight in the afternoon. Great people, and great experience.

When we went there we got a cab to take us to the totem poles then we walked around town including the old "red light district".

There's a cool little museum with a lot of local "stuff" an easy walk from the docks we really enjoyed.

We finished by finding a mostly local bar and enjoyed a couple of beers while chatting with locals.