Gaps in Regent schedules

Hi flossie009,

Oceania (R's sister line and in the NCL family too) rolled out their new ships generally with a "friends and family" cruise before the Riviera and Marina (friends/family cruise was canceled due to late build challenges) joined the Oceania fleet. Believe the Christening for these Oceania ships were held in the US (Florida) after the maiden voyage (crossing). Believe since the Explorer's christening is in Europe, am thinking in this case most of the invitees to the "Explorer post Christening/Friends and Family cruise include; Regent employees and their family members, Regent European Travel executives/European Travel Agents, as well as special guests of the senior leadership of Regent/NCL. If memory serves, top cruise critic posters on the Oceania board (e.g, Stan and Jim and the recently passed Horndorner and his wife were invited on these cruises).

Edited by WesW

Hi flossie009,

Oceania (R's sister line and in the NCL family too) rolled out their new ships generally with a "friends and family" cruise before the Riviera and Marina (friends/family cruise was canceled due to late build challenges) joined the Oceania fleet. Believe the Christening for these Oceania ships were held in the US (Florida) after the maiden voyage (crossing). Believe since the Explorer's christening is in Europe, am thinking in this case most of the invitees to the "Explorer post Christening/Friends and Family cruise include; Regent employees and their family members, Regent European Travel executives/European Travel Agents, as well as special guests of the senior leadership of Regent/NCL. If memory serves, top cruise critic posters on the Oceania board (e.g, Stan and Jim and the recently passed Horndorner and his wife were invited on these cruises).

Wes, hadn't heard hondorner had passed away. What a loss! He will be missed.

Wes: I, too, hadn't heard of Horndorner's death. Like some others whom I never met-- OrpingtonT most particularly-- Horndorner had a real presence in my mind. I do remember that he wasn't in perfect health, but he sure was a Carpe Diem kind of guy. And always very helpful on these boards. R.I.P.

It is extremely sad. After having the WC rescheduled from 2015 due to a fire on the ship, they rescheduled for this year. They were very excited about the cruise. It was only a short time into the trip (February 20th) when he passed away. In his last email to us, he said that they were planning a long road trip and hoped to meet up with us again when they were in WA. He was really a dear man. I miss our Regent vs. Oceania debates. We could debate endlessly but never became upset and ended it with a hug.

Edited by Travelcat2

Am sad to learn about Don. We sailed with Betsy and him on their first Regent cruise on the Navigator. The ship had just been outfitted with its rear "porch" in the hopes of reducing vibration. Don was taking photos and posting them because CC folks were interested in it even though he did not have free internet. He was so pleased the next morning to find a note slipped under their door telling him he now had free internet.

He was a very special person and so giving in his nature. Our condolences to Betsy.