Electrical Points In Cabins.

bingo queen

Have any British ladies had a problem getting their hair straighteners to work on the Regal Princess ? I am going on this ship in March 2017.

On my last two cruises, Sapphire Princess and Golden Princess my straighteners did not work in any of the electrical plug points in my cabin. I know the points were ok because I could charge my mobile phone but not heat up my straighteners. !!

Anyone know the reason why ?

Many thanks in advance.:confused:

Have any British ladies had a problem getting their hair straighteners to work on the Regal Princess ? I am going on this ship in March 2017.

On my last two cruises, Sapphire Princess and Golden Princess my straighteners did not work in any of the electrical plug points in my cabin. I know the points were ok because I could charge my mobile phone but not heat up my straighteners. !!

Was your hair straighter 220VAC or 12VAC. If 220VAC might not work on 120VAC.

Your hair straightener is probably the wrong voltage for the ship. You may want to purchase a dual voltage hair straightener before your next cruise.

Unfortunately most cruise ships only have American power points which operate on 120V. British and Aus/NZ appliances work on 220V so the power supplied isn't enough to operate the hair straightener, but is sufficient to charge things like mobile phones.

Your hair straightener is probably the wrong voltage for the ship. You may want to purchase a dual voltage hair straightener before your next cruise.

Unfortunately most cruise ships only have American power points which operate on 120V. British and Aus/NZ appliances work on 220V so the power supplied isn't enough to operate the hair straightener, but is sufficient to charge things like mobile phones.

All the Princess ships I've been on have 2 120V outlets and 1 220V outlet at the desk. Plus one in the bathroom that's low voltage for things like electric toothbrushes, shavers and night lights.

edit: my brain just turned on...i think it's 110V, not 120V for the American style plugs.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

All the Princess ships I've been on have 2 120V outlets and 1 220V outlet at the desk. Plus one in the bathroom that's low voltage for things like electric toothbrushes, shavers and night lights.

edit: my brain just turned on...i think it's 110V, not 120V for the American style plugs.

In the US 110 volt and 120 volt are used interchangeably. In actual practice the usual voltage we use is 117 volts AC. Check it our sometime.

You're probably right re 110V. ;)

But I'm fairly certain there was no 220V outlet on Golden, just the two 110V US plug ones. The 220V outlet is usually a European socket - except on the ships that are permanently in Australia, they have Aus/NZ sockets.

But I'm fairly certain there was no 220V outlet on Golden, just the two 110V US plug ones. The 220V outlet is usually a European socket - except on the ships that are permanently in Australia, they have Aus/NZ sockets.

OP is asking about the Regal, so there is a 220V outlet at the desk. However it does take mainland-Europe type plug, not the UK style plug.

Edited by caribill

OP had a problem on the Sapphire and Golden and on those ships there is only 120V power except for a low amperage outlet in the bathroom. On the Regal and the Royal there is a 220V outlet at the desk. It is a European receptacle so an adapter would be required for British plugs. As others have posted, a dual voltage model should solve the problem.

Buy some GHD's. I am British but live in Canada I buy GHD's when I am "home" and I travel all round the world with them, they adjust them selfs to the voltage they are plugged into. I wouldn't be without them. For Europe they have their own plug, you adjust the plug thats on them but for the US you will obviously need the plug that converts 3 - 2 pins. I know they are pricey but you just put a price on a decent pair of straighteners in my opinion.

OP is asking about the Regal, so there is a 220V outlet at the desk. However it does take mainland-Europe type plug, not the UK style plug.

Yes, but the OP had mentioned not being able to use her straightener on Golden in the past and there had been some discussion about whether all ships had 220V. Edit - IECalCruiser also commented on this.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Buy some GHD's. I am British but live in Canada I buy GHD's when I am "home" and I travel all round the world with them, they adjust them selfs to the voltage they are plugged into. I wouldn't be without them. For Europe they have their own plug, you adjust the plug thats on them but for the US you will obviously need the plug that converts 3 - 2 pins. I know they are pricey but you just put a price on a decent pair of straighteners in my opinion.

Hi thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I have two sets of straighteners and I am almost sure I took my GHD's on my cruises and they didn't work. Also have the adapter plugs so not quite sure what to do next. !! Will probably just need to buy USA type ones when I get to America.

Thanks again and to everyone who took the time to reply.

Hi thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I have two sets of straighteners and I am almost sure I took my GHD's on my cruises and they didn't work. Also have the adapter plugs so not quite sure what to do next. !! Will probably just need to buy USA type ones when I get to America.

Thanks again and to everyone who took the time to reply.

I checked the GHD website ($200 and more [emoji33]). Glad that

I am a folliclely (is that a word?) challenged man [emoji6]. The website is not the best for finding information, but they claimed to be universal voltage so they should work in the U.S. or on board. Of course on the Regal you will have a 220V receptacle at the desk.

Hi bingo queen

I have some older GHDs which are UK voltage only but I have seen that they now do dual voltage. I ended up buying some other straighteners on-line that are dual voltage that I'll keep for holidays that were reasonable (£25ish), that will only need the US adaptor and work pretty well - variable heat etc.

Hi bingo queen

I have some older GHDs which are UK voltage only but I have seen that they now do dual voltage. I ended up buying some other straighteners on-line that are dual voltage that I'll keep for holidays that were reasonable (£25ish), that will only need the US adaptor and work pretty well - variable heat etc.

Thanks, I will start looking now for dual voltage ones,hopefully will solve the problem.