No Bottle Policy on Carnival?

nancyfancy40

Hope this can be cleared up here for me. Am traveling on many Carnival ships this year with different parties. On one of the cruises one of the ladies is getting everyone all in a panic. She telling everyone that Carnival has a no-bottle policy. I never heard of this on all the cruises I have taken with Carnival, nor have I been able to find anything on line or on the Carnival site about this. What I understood up to know on Carnival is that you are allowed to bring water bottle and one Bottle of wine for each person over 21. Has this really changed? I know some of you pros will know the answer.

Nancy

From Carnival's website:

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of the exceptions referenced above are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Bottled Water

We know some of our guests are accustomed to bringing on their own supply of bottled water so as part of this policy we have significantly reduced the pricing for (purified) bottled water which will be conveniently delivered directly to your stateroom. Once onboard, the purchase is non-refundable; guests may take home any unopened bottles.

Pricing is as follows:

$3.99 USD for a 12-pack of bottled water (16.9 fluid ounce per bottle) for pre-cruise purchase. Please visit The Fun Shops at http://www.carnival.com/FunShops/in-room-beverages/water to place your order before your cruise to ensure we have an ample supply onboard.

$3.99 USD (plus gratuity) for a 12-pack of bottled water (16.9 fluid ounce per bottle) for purchase onboard by contacting Room Service.

Edited by Scurvy Seadog

They changed their policy about a year ago. Each person 21 and over in a cabin may bring on 1 bottle of wine. No bottled water or sodas. You can still bring on canned sodas.

You can order a 12 pack of water. We pre-ordered ours and they were in our cabins when we boarded. They were $3.99 a 12 pack. I don't know how much they are if you order once on board.

It seems this is a new rule because of all the smuggling of alcohol onboard. It's a shame that the cruise line has had to change their policy.

The shame is not on the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You heard correctly, you can no longer carry-on bottles of water or soda, however can soda and 1 750ml bottle of wine per person is still allowed.

They banning of bottles in response to the smuggling of alcohol, however carnival drastically dropped the price of their bottled water to $3.99 for a 12 pack. While still expensive compared to on land, $3.99 for water on a cruise is a pretty good deal if you look at the big picture.

There is at least one other major cruise line that won't let you bring sodas oor water on board. They are charging $40 for package of water AND if you bring your allowed wine on board with you there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle. I am fine with Carnival's policy.

Really? A shame? Water is so much easier than having to carrying on. And as far as soda, just bring cans. That's not too hard for people, is it?

Yes, it is a shame that the policy had to be changed because people cannot follow the rules.

There is at least one other major cruise line that won't let you bring sodas oor water on board. They are charging $40 for package of water AND if you bring your allowed wine on board with you there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle. I am fine with Carnival's policy.

That would be NCL

That would be NCL

RCCL charges $40 too. And it's Evian or nothing. Talk about paying more for drinking water than gasoline.:eek:

Really? A shame? Water is so much easier than having to carrying on. And as far as soda, just bring cans. That's not too hard for people, is it?

I moved out of the way for one guy who had the family supply of soda for the week in his arms. It looked hard for him :)

It is always up to the buyer to agree to any beverage policy. No one is being forced to cruise with any cruise line if he/she doesn't accept the terms.

Well, the folks sailing on NCL from 7/15 on are being forced to since the terms changed unilaterally with only a two week notice period. There are a lot of people inside the final payment date that have no choice.

Yes, it is a shame that the policy had to be changed because people cannot follow the rules.

I'm glad the policy changed. It dropped the price of water. When i cruised April 2015 it was $36. When i booked in October 2015 it was $2.99...much better so i don't have to lug it around

Edited by babygrljaz

Well, the folks sailing on NCL from 7/15 on are being forced to since the terms changed unilaterally with only a two week notice period. There are a lot of people inside the final payment date that have no choice.

Same thing happened when Carnival unceremoniously changed its carry-on beverage policy in July 2015 with just as much notice.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy-q%26a

Notice the same "for security reasons" that have the NCL boards in a total tizzy.

It's now a distant memory and hasn't seemed to send the company into ruin. I suspect NCL will survive as well. Carnival passengers haven't "jumped ship" in droves as many claimed they would (and NCL passengers similarly claim will).

Don't bother with the price-gouging claim for the price of bottled water NCL charges. They'll charge what they feel they can get with the least loss of passengers.

Same thing happened when Carnival unceremoniously changed its carry-on beverage policy in July 2015 with just as much notice.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy-q%26a

Notice the same "for security reasons" that have the NCL boards in a total tizzy.

It's now a distant memory and hasn't seemed to send the company into ruin. I suspect NCL will survive as well. Carnival passengers haven't "jumped ship" in droves as many claimed they would (and NCL passengers similarly claim will).

Don't bother with the price-gouging claim for the price of bottled water NCL charges. They'll charge what they feel they can get with the least loss of passengers.

CCL did two things that NCL did not- they lowered the price of their water and they only excluded bottles, passengers may still bring on cans and cartons.

As for the security issue, I believe CCL when they say it was changed to reduce smuggling since CCL does have an issue with that (just search "rum runners" and see how many results you get, and multiply the results by 3 since most of those threads are deleted). Checking every water bottle at security to make sure it was really water had to have slowed lines substantially. On the other hand I don't believe that NCL has the same issue with smuggling since most of the passengers receive the beverage package as part of their booking.

Finally, nothing that NCL does is being done in a vacuum- when Del Rio took over he asked "can I get $5 to $10 per day from you and your wife" and since then has been working diligently to squeeze every penny he can out of the passengers. Yes, it's a business and that's what businesses do but every change that has been made has been to the company's advantage and to the passenger's disadvantage.

CCL did two things that NCL did not- they lowered the price of their water and they only excluded bottles, passengers may still bring on cans and cartons.

As for the security issue, I believe CCL when they say it was changed to reduce smuggling since CCL does have an issue with that (just search "rum runners" and see how many results you get, and multiply the results by 3 since most of those threads are deleted). Checking every water bottle at security to make sure it was really water had to have slowed lines substantially. On the other hand I don't believe that NCL has the same issue with smuggling since most of the passengers receive the beverage package as part of their booking.

Finally, nothing that NCL does is being done in a vacuum- when Del Rio took over he asked "can I get $5 to $10 per day from you and your wife" and since then has been working diligently to squeeze every penny he can out of the passengers. Yes, it's a business and that's what businesses do but every change that has been made has been to the company's advantage and to the passenger's disadvantage.

Absolutely correct. There's nothing wrong with anything you've said. I actually agree with you 100%. However, I suspect our interpretations are vastly different.