Is NCL really that bad?

andnosyd

I haven't been on NCL since 2005 and I didn't really enjoy their product back then (NCL Spirit), but figured I'd give them another shot. We have a 14 day Panama Canal trip with them in November. Since 2005 we've been on Disney, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, and Silversea (expedition, so not a fair comparison). I booked this trip on NCL because the suite was really a lot less expensive than any of the other lines, they seem like they have a decent kids program, and I wanted to try out the Haven (on the Jewel).

However, I see a lot of cutbacks mentioned and obviously the no beverage onboard policy. Since it's been 11 years since we've been on them, I was hoping the product has improved, but now I'm second guessing this trip. Is it a much inferior product to Celebrity (our mass market favorite)? I could cancel and switch to Celebrity, but for a comparable suite, Celebrity is about $5,000 more, which I don't think that additional cost would be worth it. But I also don't want to spend so much money on a Haven Owners suite and regret the trip.

Can anyone offer insights or comparisons or should I cancel and stick with what I know (Celebrity for thousands more)?

Can anyone offer insights or comparisons or should I cancel and stick with what I know (Celebrity for thousands more)?

I cruise on both NCL and Celebrity and find both to be excellent products, although different. If you feel apprehensive, then I would cancel the NCL cruise and stick with Celebrity.

While I have yet to be willing to afford a suite (haven or otherwise), I have a couple of times been given VIP status which means we got all the perks of being in a suite but were still in a regular cabin...in the case of our last cruise which was through the canal, one of the two best balcony staterooms in the fleet. These serve as the second bedrooms to the Owner's suite so with the exception of a regular bathroom, they are fitted just like the suites. We were offered an upsell which I almost accepted because of how wonderful the Suite/VIP benefits are....but decided the cost wasn't worth it just for those since we already had a room that was larger than what we were being offered....and I can live without a butler which is the only thing that a VIP doesn't get.

Anyway, from what I know, you should have a great trip. The canal is interesting and a quiet breakfast and lunch in the "Suites" restaurant makes it all the suite-er!

You mentioned the kids program....while I know nothing about this program, I can tell you that on our canal trip there was only one teenager and no younger children. I happen to know this as we got to talking to the youth coordinator one evening and he mentioned it was his easiest cruise ever....but also the most boring! The lack of kids may have been because our trip was in April not near most schools spring break and it was extra long...we went from Tampa to Vancouver for 19 glorious days....but from what I have read, any cruise longer than 7 days if not during a typical school holiday, tends to have few kids.

Have a great cruise!

How many kids and what ages are the kids?

2 kids, Ages 4 and 1. It doesn't take much to entertain them, they both like music and the shows so if there aren't many other kids they'll be fine onboard.

Thank you for the reassurance, it sounds like I could be overthinking this trip.

I think if you go into your cruise with a positive attitude, you will have a good time. If you go in all Negative Nelly and compare everything onboard to other experiences, then you are guaranteed to give yourself a bad time.

For what it's worth, I think NCL is comparable to Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Celebrity is largely considered the "premium" sister to RCCL and Princess is considered the "premium" sister to Carnival, and I do believe they cost more than the "standard" lines of NCL. RCCL, and Carnival.

I believe the kid services for a one year old are limited. A parent has to be present. the 4-year -old should fit into a group.

As to your overall anxiety about NCL; don't be concerned. NCL has a fine product and the suite services are fantastic.

Just remember: You can please some people most of the time, some people all the time and some none of the time. The nones tend to vent more on CC.

The Jewel is gorgeous, you will have amazing service in your suite. Sadly, Cruise Critid has become more of a bashing board than a helping board lately.

Too many cruisers seem to take each change made as a personal assault.

We enjoy the NCL product as we do RCL. Celebrity isn't what our family of 3 teens needs, we have outgrown Disney. Our kids are older (171715) but we have been cruising with them since they were babies.

I have seen much CC negativity on several other boards, comments critical of MSC, DCL, RCCL. Have to ignore it unless here are specific, not broad, real complaints. Here at the NCL boards the threads get bogged down in name calling, "what ifs" and "how will NCL Screw me NEXT??" posts, none of which are helpful.

The courtyard on the jewel is great, a nice place for your little ones to splash in the pool. The staff is terrific as well.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Annmeat

No, there have been no "cutbacks" just changes. It's not like the passengers have to take turns stoking the boiler every day.

All the people who complain about mythical 'cutbacks' never list all the additions, such as:

Water slides

Kids water park

10x dining and drinking venues

Actual Theatrical Productions

Premium Coffee (I know people for whom this is huge.)

No more rigid, inflexible and repetitive dining

Continuous UBP and UDP Promotions

24-hour food service

High Speed Internet

More Balcony Staterooms

My last 3 NCL cruises have been fabulous. Some people get all bend out of shape by the silliest things. Make up you own mind.

No, there have been no "cutbacks" just changes. It's not like the passengers have to take turns stoking the boiler every day.

All the people who complain about mythical 'cutbacks' never list all the additions, such as:

Water slides

Kids water park

24-hour food service

High Speed Internet

More Balcony Staterooms

My last 3 NCL cruises have been fabulous. Some people get all bend out of shape by the silliest things. Make up you own mind.

Ditto.

The experience has really been elevated since our first NCL cruise in 2005.

I haven't been on NCL since 2005 and I didn't really enjoy their product back then (NCL Spirit), but figured I'd give them another shot. We have a 14 day Panama Canal trip with them in November. Since 2005 we've been on Disney, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, and Silversea (expedition, so not a fair comparison). I booked this trip on NCL because the suite was really a lot less expensive than any of the other lines, they seem like they have a decent kids program, and I wanted to try out the Haven (on the Jewel).

However, I see a lot of cutbacks mentioned and obviously the no beverage onboard policy. Since it's been 11 years since we've been on them, I was hoping the product has improved, but now I'm second guessing this trip. Is it a much inferior product to Celebrity (our mass market favorite)? I could cancel and switch to Celebrity, but for a comparable suite, Celebrity is about $5,000 more, which I don't think that additional cost would be worth it. But I also don't want to spend so much money on a Haven Owners suite and regret the trip.

We cruise with Celebrity and NCL and Celebrity has the edge, but we still book NCL sometimes.

We are not giving up on NCL. Look at the bottom line. If you get at great itinerary with a great price on NCL don't worry about the some of the minor issues like bringing water on.

Although I can't speak to the Jewel, I can say that I think NCL is a great product.

I booked our Escape cruise before the maiden voyage. After the Transatlantic, the reviews were terrible. Even now some people find things to complain about about the ship.

We just cruised a couple of weeks ago and had the best time. The food was great and so was the service. I've been on Royal Caribbean and Holland America and NCL is certainly not a lower standard from them.

You will have a great time!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Water slides

Kids water park

24-hour food service

High Speed Internet

More Balcony Staterooms

No cutbacks.???? Seriously ?????

You're saying that with a straight face???

OP is going to be in an Owner's Suite. No worrying about water since the butler will provide either in bottle form or in pitchers. Soft drinks (Pepsi products) will be provided. There's no additional charge for room service since that's provided by the butler.

Take the trip on NCL and give it a chance. The suite life is great on NCL.

No cutbacks.???? Seriously ?????

You're saying that with a straight face???

You knew someone was going to put it in reverse and run over the cat again. :/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by sctexan

I can't compare lines, but I've been on the Gem (sister ship to the Jewel) in the Haven several times. It is lovely there. Your Butler and Courtyard Attendant will be attentive. Your room will be beautiful. The specialty restaurants will be great; and the MDRs and Buffet and Poolside Grill will all be much more than good. There will be many fun onboard activities.

14 days is a long time to be anywhere, but the Haven is a very good choice.

Go and enjoy yourself.

I've only been on 5 NCL cruises, with the first being 6 years ago, but that one was the worst. Each one has gotten better and better, with the most recent being the very best. The food and menus have improved, service and entertainment have improved... If they have to make changes in order to support improvements in the overall quality, then I'm all for it. Whatever they are doing, I hope they keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm starting to look forward to our cruise now. Much appreciated.

As you should. NCL is a wonderful product and I've never booked a suite. You'll have all 5 perks and the services and private areas that are part of the Suite Life. Cruising with NCL is a good value, easy and fun. Make great memories and have a blast.