Cutting it close or?...

ravluis

My family and I will be on the December sailing on Vista. The ship docks back at 8am in Miami. I was looking to purchase a flight that leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 10am. would we be cutting it way too close?

What a terrible way to end a relaxing cruise.:eek:

I agree. We are looking at an 11:20 out of Jacksonville and even that is making me nervous, but the alternative is 6:25 and that seems like wayyyy too long to sit in an airport.

My family and I will be on the December sailing on Vista. The ship docks back at 8am in Miami. I was looking to purchase a flight that leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 10am. would we be cutting it way too close?

We make it a point never to book a return flight before 12:00 at Miami's airport, and it's a lot closer than FLL's airport. You'd have to be the first ones off of the ship doing self-debarkation, be the first ones to get through customs, go out front and hop in a cab, then have the cab driver drive like a bat outta hell to get you to the FLL airport by about 8:30, 8:45 tops. Then hope the line at the TSA checkpoint is very short and moving quickly. You'll need to be at the gate to board by 9:30. You might want to arrange to have some EMT's on hand at the airport in case you have a stress-related heart attack when you get there. Or, book a later flight and have a stress-free debarkation morning. ;):)

We made an 8:45am flight out of FLL when we disembarked in Miami last May. Self assist started at 6:30am, we were off the ship and through customs by 7:00am, we summoned an Uber, and we made it to FLL around 7:45am. Being that early in the morning, we were the only passengers going through the security checkpoint. Everything worked out flawlessly.

BUT, we didn't book that early flight. We were planning on taking a later flight but, since we arrived so early, we boarded the earlier flight as standby passengers (I was literally online adding our names to the standby list during our drive to the airport once I realized that we had time to make it).

I would NEVER buy a confirmed flight that early in the morning. While there are several times when we've been off the ship early enough to make a 10:00am (or earlier flight), there are just as many times when we haven't been able to debark until much later (there are times when we've literally still been onboard at 10:00am).

I would not do it, unless you have a backup plan of action and extra cash to cover the expense associated with new flights. And remember that if you buy flights outside of the cruise line's recommended guidelines and you do miss your flight, any insurance claim will be denied and you will receive zero compensation.

Edited by Tapi

Cutting it way to close for my comfort. I mean, yes, on a normal arrival and if you do self debarkation and nothing at all goes wrong, you probably could make it. but it takes just one thing to happen and everything can go downhill from there.

Our last cruise in May out of Miami debarkation was delayed over an hour due to weather related issues . There are bunch of things that can cause delays. A 10am flight is just begging for trouble.

Traffic between Miami and FLL can be horrendous at times. I would not attempt this.

It may work out flawlessly and then again your ship could dock at 9 or 10.

Just curious, why flying out of FLL instead of MIA?

I haven't booked a flight out of MIA before 11AM. If I realize I can make an earlier flight I'll try standby for it.

I do walk off (was platinum, now Diamond) with one piece of carry on, have Global Entry and am TSA Pre Check for US Customs and airport security dedicated lines.

If my circumstances were different,I would book a later flight or stay over in Miami.

Here is my standard answer,

Every other thread is about someone wanting to book a 7am flight home after debarking at 7:30.

If getting off the ship and being home in a hour, you had better live 15 minutes from the port.

The earlier flights are so much cheaper than the later ones and I hate that we have to spend more to fly home later, however, I do not want to end my vacation stressing about making it in time. The TSA lines alone could make it impossible.

We just take our time getting off the ship and to the airport, have some lunch and just wait until our flight time.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Don't even consider it.... We had 11:15 flight out of FLL in May, and almost didn't make it. I never book a flight that early, but it was only option. Kept fingers crossed... One of first groups off ship, had pre-arranged transport service reserved... all good BUT... standstill traffic on I-95 due to an accident. Driver exited freeway (on the berm) and went through local streets and alleys, etc. Get to FLL to find HUGE security lines - even the pre-TSA.

My next cruise in October, flight scheduled for afternoon, and I feel waayyy better about that.

The earlier flights are so much cheaper than the later ones and I hate that we have to spend more to fly home later, however, I do not want to end my vacation stressing about making it in time.

You can always get off the ship, relax in Miami for an extra day and then catch an early flight the next morning. We did that when we sailed to Alaska. We debarked in Seattle, went to a hotel and spent the day sightseeing. Then we caught a 6:00am flight on Sunday morning at a fraction of the cost of an afternoon flight on Saturday. The money that we saved on airfare (about $1,200) far exceeded the cost of an extra night at a hotel. We took the stress factor away, and we explored a city well worth the extra vacation time. Win win! [emoji3]

Chances you'll catch that 10am are slim and none. Because the ship docks at 8am doesn't mean she'll be cleared for disembarkation at that time. It can take at least 45 minutes to drive between Port of Miami and FFL - if there are no accidents. Then once at FFL you have the security lines - remember Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) also normally has a number of ships that dock and whose passengers will be in those same security lines.:rolleyes:

You can always get off the ship, relax in Miami for an extra day and then catch an early flight the next morning. We did that when we sailed to Alaska. We debarked in Seattle, went to a hotel and spent the day sightseeing. Then we caught a 6:00am flight on Sunday morning at a fraction of the cost of an afternoon flight on Saturday. The money that we saved on airfare (about $1,200) far exceeded the cost of an extra night at a hotel. We took the stress factor away, and we explored a city well worth the extra vacation time. Win win! [emoji3]

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, we did that in Ft Lauderdale a couple of years ago, stayed at Lago Mar, it was a great day. A little extension to the vacation.

Usually, we have to fly home same day due to DH's work schedule.

For our cruise next month, we have a 3:45pm flight so we'll just take our time.

The earlier flights are so much cheaper than the later ones and I hate that we have to spend more to fly home later, however, I do not want to end my vacation stressing about making it in time. The TSA lines alone could make it impossible.

We just take our time getting off the ship and to the airport, have some lunch and just wait until our flight time.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

The flights are cheaper, because the bulk unloading of cruise passengers can not make those flights. :)

We made an 8:45am flight out of FLL when we disembarked in Miami last May. Self assist started at 6:30am, we were off the ship and through customs by 7:00am, we summoned an Uber, and we made it to FLL around 7:45am. Being that early in the morning, we were the only passengers going through the security checkpoint. Everything worked out flawlessly.

BUT, we didn't book that early flight. We were planning on taking a later flight but, since we arrived so early, we boarded the earlier flight as standby passengers (I was literally online adding our names to the standby list during our drive to the airport once I realized that we had time to make it).

I would NEVER buy a confirmed flight that early in the morning. While there are several times when we've been off the ship early enough to make a 10:00am (or earlier flight), there are just as many times when we haven't been able to debark until much later (there are times when we've literally still been onboard at 10:00am).

I would not do it, unless you have a backup plan of action and extra cash to cover the expense associated with new flights. And remember that if you buy flights outside of the cruise line's recommended guidelines and you do miss your flight, any insurance claim will be denied and you will receive zero compensation.

Don't you just fly nonrev standby anyway? A whole different story. :) The early flights are your best chances.

That's cutting it way to close IMO, and even if you miraculously made it I wouldn't want to deal with that stress at the end of my vacation. Try to find a later flight, if the only other flights are in the late afternoon or evening and you don't want to sit in the airport all day look into renting a day room. I had the same dilemma back on 2014 on my first cruise out of FLL, the only flights back to NJ were at 9am (too early) and 7pm (too late to sit in the airport) so I rented a day room at the Roadway Inn, not the nicest place in the world but for $60 it was nice to have a place to hang out by the pool, take a nap, and a shower before the flight. Included pickup from the cruise port and drop off at the airport as well.

With the exception of one 5 day cruise, Vista docks on the weekend. That means that either Oasis or Allure will be docked in FLL along with a number of other ships.

Even if you stepped off Vista at 8am, were 1st in the CBP line, and stepped into a taxi as you walked out of the terminal, I doubt you would get through TSA clearance and to your gate before 9:50am.

Edited by broberts

Don't you just fly nonrev standby anyway? A whole different story. :) The early flights are your best chances.

Yes. Depending on where we are cruising from or how many days we have before or after the cruise, we will non-rev. But if we can't or don't want to take chances, we will buy confirmed flights. That's why I stressed that I would never buy a confirmed flight that early in the morning. And you're right. The early morning flights are a dream for standby flying. On our particular day, the 8:45am flight had 110 seats open! The 9:45am had about 40, and everything else later in the day was actually overbooked! [emoji85] If we'd missed those flights out of FLL, we would've needed to Tri-Rail it to PBI where availability was much better.

I did mention the 8:45am flight that we made in May just to show that it's physically possible to make a flight that early in the morning for those who say that it's impossible, but I still consider it a terrible idea to actually spend money on a flight that departs that early.

On standby? Yes! Confirmed? Heck no! [emoji6]

I did mention the 8:45am flight that we made in May just to show that it's physically possible to make a flight that early in the morning for those who say that it's impossible, but I still consider it a terrible idea to actually spend money on a flight that departs that early.

You made an 8:45 am flight out of FLL after docking in Miami? What time did they let you off the ship?