Dublin Dock

We are currently booked on Caribbean Princess June 30, 2017. The itinerary includes an overnight in Dublin. Can anyone tell me if we will dock close enough to city center to enjoy our evening at a couple of pubs?

Yes I've read through quite a few, but some sound like the dock is closer to town and others seem like it is away. I can't find listing for Dublin 2017 online, so I thought someone might know which dock Princess generally uses. I'm thinking there must be 2 or 3 docks they could use.

I'm OK using taxis, but am bringing 2 teens with us that will stay on the ship. I just don't want to be a long way away because I'm a nervous mom. My husbands wish was night life in Dublin, so I'm trying to be sure it can happen! I can always assess when we get there, but was hoping someone might know. Other cruise line options with Dublin overnight are Celebrity and HAL if they dock closer to town

The Carribean Princess is scheduled to dock in Dublin Port on 3rd July 2017. Also in town that day is Crown Princess.

Here is a link to Dublin Port cruise liner docking schedule. Scroll down for 2017.

http://www.dublinport.ie/not-in-menu/cruise-ship-scheduled/

When the 'To Location' mentions D.L.2, then that ship has been sent to Dun Laoghaire, which is a tender port in the southern suburbs of Dublin.

The Carribean Princess is scheduled to dock in Dublin Port on 3rd July 2017. Also in town that day is Crown Princess.

Here is a link to Dublin Port cruise liner docking schedule. Scroll down for 2017.

When the 'To Location' mentions D.L.2, then that ship has been sent to Dun Laoghaire, which is a tender port in the southern suburbs of Dublin.

i have to say that I am amazed at the number of ships/berths that are listed as TBA. I am assuming it means To Be Announced or To Be Arranged and isn't the name of a pier? I will be there on Celebrity's Silhouette within the month and they still do not have our docking location listed. Do they just tell them when they get there?

Jim

The ship scheduled to be in Dun Laoghaire on the 9th August is starting a cruise from there - so this can hardly be a "tender port" as stated above. In fact it is a ferry port. Also, this is not Dublin city dock, but is a seaside resort in "County Dublin", so it is obvious that port is administered by the port of Dublin, but is not for cruise ships with a destination port of Dublin. I suspect turnaround facilities could be easier from there as traffic would not have to drive through the city and there may be parking facilities nearby - but I have no knowledge of that.

We have docked in Dublin a few times. There are a number of docking locations in Dublin, and we did notice on our recent cruise that it is often quite late when the actual docking location is confirmed, (as others have noted here). However, none of the cruise dock locations are within walking distance of the city centre and even the distance through the docks to the exit can be quite a long way.

Cruise companies run shuttle busses to St Stephen's Square, in the city, (usually for a small cost), and take up to half an hour, but in our experience, they finish in the late evening, so a taxi back would be needed for the return late at night. In early June we also found that the shuttle bus schedule for our small cruise ship, (30,000 ton), was only once every 45 minutes or so in the late afternoon, though the big Princess ship was providing more frequent shuttles, and they had more passengers using them.

I do not know about the cost of a taxi - perhaps TA boards would give better info regards that, but it should be easily affordable as the distance is not miles away.

Edited by tring

Great. Thank you. I'm not concerned with cost if taxi. I figure if we can afford the cruise- we can afford the associated costs or we don't go! I will talk to my husband and let him know that the ship won't dock close to downtown and then we can plan from there. Thanks again for all of the info!!

The ship scheduled to be in Dun Laoghaire on the 9th August is starting a cruise from there - so this can hardly be a "tender port" as stated above. In fact it is a ferry port. Also, this is not Dublin city dock, but is a seaside resort in "County Dublin", so it is obvious that port is administered by the port of Dublin, but is not for cruise ships with a destination port of Dublin. I suspect turnaround facilities could be easier from there as traffic would not have to drive through the city and there may be parking facilities nearby - but I have no knowledge of that.

We have docked in Dublin a few times. There are a number of docking locations in Dublin, and we did notice on our recent cruise that it is often quite late when the actual docking location is confirmed, (as others have noted here). However, none of the cruise dock locations are within walking distance of the city centre and even the distance through the docks to the exit can be quite a long way.

Cruise companies run shuttle busses to St Stephen's Square, in the city, (usually for a small cost), and take up to half an hour, but in our experience, they finish in the late evening, so a taxi back would be needed for the return late at night. In early June we also found that the shuttle bus schedule for our small cruise ship, (30,000 ton), was only once every 45 minutes or so in the late afternoon, though the big Princess ship was providing more frequent shuttles, and they had more passengers using them.

I do not know about the cost of a taxi - perhaps TA boards would give better info regards that, but it should be easily affordable as the distance is not miles away.

In most cases cruise ships will be tendered. Star Legend is 135m and 208 pax (+ crew) ship and is probably small enough us use the ferry terminal.

Dun Laoghaire is no longer a ferry port as Stena Line have ceased using it and consolidated their facilities in Dublin Port.

Dun Laoghaire is a stand alone semi state company under the remit of the Irish Minister of Transport. It is a separate entity to Dublin Port.

Apart from Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company, very few others in the locality want cruise ships docking there and have managed to stop a planned development of a cruise dock, so apart from small cruise ships, it will continue to be a tender port.

Edited by VMax1700

In most cases cruise ships will be tendered. Star Legend is 135m and 208 pax (+ crew) ship and is probably small enough us use the ferry terminal.

Dun Laoghaire is no longer a ferry port as Stena Line have ceased using it and consolidated their facilities in Dublin Port.

Dun Laoghaire is a stand alone semi state company under the remit of the Irish Minister of Transport. It is a separate entity to Dublin Port.

Apart from Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company, very few others in the locality want cruise ships docking there and have managed to stop a planned development of a cruise dock, so apart from small cruise ships, it will continue to be a tender port.

My point was though, that it is not in Dublin, so if a ship is scheduled to dock in Dublin, that is what it will do. I thought it sounded misleading to the OP.

I assumed the port was connected to Dublin Port as it was mentioned on the Dublin Port website - it seems strange that it is mentioned there if there is no link between the companies, but I have no knowledge of that.

I knew Stena was not using that port from Holyhead, but wrongly thought it may still be used for other ferries. I stand corrected on that.

Edited by tring

My point was though, that it is not in Dublin, so if a ship is scheduled to dock in Dublin, that is what it will do. I thought it sounded misleading to the OP.

I assumed the port was connected to Dublin Port as it was mentioned on the Dublin Port website - it seems strange that it is mentioned there if there is no link between the companies, but I have no knowledge of that.

I knew Stena was not using that port from Holyhead, but wrongly thought it may still be used for other ferries. I stand corrected on that.

Point taken.

Although Dun Laoghaire is not in Dublin City, it is still a lot more accessible than say Florence from Livorno or Rome from Civitavecchia.

Anyway, whether in Dublin Port or Dun Laoghaire port, OP should have no problem in finding a few pubs for bevvies and craic! :D

Point taken.

Anyway, whether in Dublin Port or Dun Laoghaire port, OP should have no problem in finding a few pubs for bevvies and craic! :D

Ahh the joys of Ireland......

We are scheduled to dock in Dublin with the actual pier listed as TBA. We want to take the LUAS tram to near Connelly Station where we will catch the DART to Malahide.

Does the port provide transport from the ship to the port entrance as is sometimes done in other ports that involve a long walk? Does anyone have an idea of the feasibility of walking to the Point LUAS stop if no transport is provided?

Thanks!