which beach to go in St.Thomas

jopal

me and my wife will be arriving in St. Thomas on July 24 on carnivals sunshine I believe the port is Charlotte Amalie that's what its listed as on my itinerary I would like to know which beach we should go to that is not a long drive of 30 to 40 min. from the port and cost 40 to 50 dollars round trip for a taxi for the both of us and than pay a fee to get on the beach,I would like the beach to be calm and to rent lounge chairs and umbrellas or clam shells for shade also to have food and drink, also is there other transportation other than taxis such as buses or group vans and the cost of these, I would appreciate any information anyone can give me

On one visit, we stopped at the visitor info booth and they told us about Hidden Beach (also known by a couple of other names, I think) and it was a WINNER! Very small area, but there is some great snorkeling, a restaurant and a tiki bar as well. We have been back several times since and always enjoy it. It is not a quick trip from the ship and some cabbies seem to be less than impressed that you want to go there! But, if you do, I think you would enjoy it.

Megan's Bay or Sapphire Beach, cant lose with either, both beautiful. We went to Coki Beach this past January and cant say we would go back. We found it crowded, litter everywhere and several groups smoking weed in plain sight, we did not encounter that at the other 2 beaches in the past.

We are not prudes but as we had our 13 yr old with us it wasn't exactly the environment we were looking for to spend quality family time. It just wasn't our thing and there are nicer beaches in St. Thomas.

Edited by Drazil65

I just posted this on another St. Thomas thread ...

----------------------

We came back from our cruise in June ... and a cab driver took us to a beautiful beach ... it was one of the best beaches I've been to ... it's like an endless beach, silk carpet feeling sand and not crowded at all (even though there were several hotels there).

We just took the cab from the port ... if you want here are my notes from each and every port we visited :)

https://imaginairie.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/on-board-the-carnival-funship-fascination-is-like-living-with-aladdins-lamp/

If you want a REALLY nice beach, get yourself to St. Johns.....it's a ferry ride, and cab...but Lordy, is it worth it! Most beautiful beach, clearest water, warm...gorgeous....that I've EVER seen! Worth the trip!

On one visit, we stopped at the visitor info booth and they told us about Hidden Beach (also known by a couple of other names, I think) and it was a WINNER! Very small area, but there is some great snorkeling, a restaurant and a tiki bar as well. We have been back several times since and always enjoy it. It is not a quick trip from the ship and some cabbies seem to be less than impressed that you want to go there! But, if you do, I think you would enjoy it.

Hidden or Secret beach is also known as Lindquist Beach on Smith's Bay, just around the bend from what is now a Secrets Hotel (used to be the Wyndham).

I went there on a Celebrity excursion and was just as impressed as the poster above.

One can Google St Thomas beaches and pictures and descriptions come up, including food options, rentals, facilities, imagine that!

The Secret Harbor

No crowds, great snorkeling, and a bar with reasonable prices and great food. Cab ride is about 20-30 minutes.

I'll second the great snorkeling here, as Secret Harbor is a protected marine sanctuary. Spent a week there, nice resort.

If you want a REALLY nice beach, get yourself to St. Johns.....it's a ferry ride, and cab...but Lordy, is it worth it! Most beautiful beach, clearest water, warm...gorgeous....that I've EVER seen! Worth the trip!

Been there once and it is a beautiful beach, just wish the ship stayed longer in St Thomas so we would have had more time there.

I previously wrote that me and my wife were arriving in St. Thomas on Carnival Sunshine July 24th. and wish to go to a beach close to the port of Charlotte Amalie and not have to take a taxi 20 miles and spend 40 or 50 dollars round trip to go to the beach,all of the responses have not responded to what I asked information on please read my original post and if you can give me the information I asked for regarding beach and amenities including calm waters loungers or clam shells and food and drinks, I would appreciate it also I was wondering how far emerald beach was as I heard it was a nice beach and had all I was looking for, not for nothing but it seems as if most of the people responding to my posts do not read the entire post and just respond to what they think Im asking, thanks to those people who have responded

I previously wrote that me and my wife were arriving in St. Thomas on Carnival Sunshine July 24th. and wish to go to a beach close to the port of Charlotte Amalie and not have to take a taxi 20 miles and spend 40 or 50 dollars round trip to go to the beach,all of the responses have not responded to what I asked information on please read my original post and if you can give me the information I asked for regarding beach and amenities including calm waters loungers or clam shells and food and drinks, I would appreciate it also I was wondering how far emerald beach was as I heard it was a nice beach and had all I was looking for, not for nothing but it seems as if most of the people responding to my posts do not read the entire post and just respond to what they think Im asking, thanks to those people who have responded

Not sure if you saw my post ... that's the beach we went to ... Emerald beach ... if it was me I would have named it "ZEN Beach" ... I mentioned the cost, the quality of the beach etc ....

Sorry about some of the non-answers you have gotten OP. There is one poster on this thread who is known for never giving direct answers.

In St Thomas we have been to Sapphire and Coki. Sapphire had relatively calm water and chairs to rent but just found the place very "blah" for lack of a better word. Now Coki we absolutely loved! Very calm water, chairs with umbrellas to rent (they set them up wherever you want). It was uncrowded when we went as we were the only ship in port. I have read it can get crowded when several ships are in. Food and beverages can be purchased and delivered to your chair. Food was excellent! Had some of the best snapper I have ever eaten. If you like to snorkel Coki has the best beach snorkeling we have found. Usually we prefer open water for better clarity and more coral, but Coki was excellent.

Last Feb. my wife and I took a short (15 min.) cab ride to Bolongo Bay. I believe the cost was around $15. The driver dropped us off and asked what time to be back and he was waiting when we were ready to leave.

The beach had a great bar and restaurant (Iggy's) at reasonable prices. Loungers were available for around $10. The beach was very quiet and relaxing and while we did not snorkel there were quite a few people in the water doing that.

Megan's Bay has been voted one of the best beaches in the world. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to spend some time there if you haven't been. One caveat though which can apply to other beaches too is that the taxi ride can be a white knuckle experience winding up the hills on very narrow roads.

I've been to Megan's Bay, Coki Beach, and Sapphire Beach. transport is by open safari vans easily available at the port. They seem to like to go to megan's bay more, but will take you where you want. transport for all three was around $7-$9 pp each way, so you're going to be spending about $40 for both of you. If you get there early, Megan's bay has picnic tables under trees that you can claim. Or you can rent chairs - not sure on prices of chairs - we bargained a group rate, but spent most of our time in water so we shared chairs.

water at all three of those beaches is pretty calm - they've all been calm every time I was there.

Megan's is gorgeous - very long, shallow. you can rent different water things that are people powered, including snorkel gear. Good water for lounging in. didn't go into the shop, not sure what's there. Bathrooms are decent beach bathrooms, water to rinse off in. think they have showers, too, didn't use them. Fee to get on beach, something like $3???

Coki beach has the most sea life of any I've seen. My favorite for snorkeling. You can rent gear. There's a dive shop and an aquarium near. beach is more crowded, I think because it's much smaller. You can rent chairs, there's a bathroom, food of some sort.

My favorite for a cruise excursion has been Sapphire, but I haven't been in several years. Great snorkeling, uncrowded on one side - fish, turtles. Nice white sand beach. It's in front of a hotel. There's a nice stand for food/drinks. You can rent chairs and I found the chair rental people there most helpful. There were some shade trees in one corner. Bathrooms were clean.

As for how long any will take, if taxi is going straight to Megan's bay, it's usually about 20 minutes. If people are getting off at Coki, or Sapphire or taking ferry to St. John they go a different way and it takes about 30 minutes. Usually the return trip you should count on a minimum of an hour - afternoons I've found more traffic but I'd leave beach at least two hours before sail away.

Edited by Genessa