Mobility Scooters Onboard

PatyCake

PLEASE no posts about the rules, safety, etc. This is for pure information.

I work at one of the cruise piers in Cozumel and whenever someone has a scooter, I ask if they have a handicap room. The majority say NO. Then I ask about where they park it. More often then not I am told they leave it in a wide part of the hallway. like an indented cove area, and that they just take the battery in room to charge.

I want to hear from those who have done this or sen it. Gracias

Again, do not post if it is only to preach!!!

every line has their own polices as to where scooters can be left.

for instance, on my Disney cruise, they were left at the end of the hall by the elevators in an alcove to charge

others do not permit that and you must bring it inside the cabin ( some scooters really do fit even a regular cabin) or have it removed to be charged elsewhere in a non public area and not left in the passageway.

On my last cruse I had my own scooter for the first time, not a rented one. We had a suite so there was plenty room inside the cabin for it. But it was a very tight squeeze to get it thru the doorway. Many times during the day I left it near the elevators in a little alcove that had absolutely no pedestrian traffic. But I would only leave it there if I had to go back to the room to use the restroom or get something I had forgotten. It was never there more than 15 minutes and NEVER all night. I made sure it was never in anyones way. I can walk a short distance and our cabin was right at the doorway to the elevators so I was able to get to my room quickly.

More handicap rooms would be nice. We always book last minute and the HC cabins are always all booked .

Edited by Boozebabe

I work at one of the cruise piers in Cozumel and whenever someone has a scooter, I ask if they have a handicap room. The majority say NO. Then I ask about where they park it. More often then not I am told they leave it in a wide part of the hallway. like an indented cove area, and that they just take the battery in room to charge.

Again, as on the Carnival board, I will point out that Carnival rules, SOLAS regulations, and simply courtesy would demand that you park a scooter within your own cabin. That means that smaller scooters (those who are able to enter a regular cabin door) can be used by persons without a handicapped or modified cabin. Unfortunately, that means that those who travel with larger scooters are required to plan better than the general public, due to the small number of handicapped and modified cabins available.

Again, you did say on the Carnival board that you were NOT planning to take a scooter on your cruise, I am assuming because there were no modified cabins available?

So what's the point of your question ? Too justify parking the scooter in a public area when SOLAS Regulations require it be stored in your cabin ? I for one value the safety of all passengers and call Ship's Security for it to be removed so it does not impede the safety of other passengers particularly in the event of an emergency .

Mobility scooter with a width of 21" or less will fit through the doorway of a standard cabin door.

Edited by xxoocruiser

My wife uses a scooter that automatically folds up to about the size of a medium suitcase. It doesn't take up much room so it doesn't matter what kind of cabin you have. We fold it up and stick it in a corner and let it charge overnight. It is great for travel, even on the airplane.

My wife uses a scooter that automatically folds up to about the size of a medium suitcase. It doesn't take up much room so it doesn't matter what kind of cabin you have. We fold it up and stick it in a corner and let it charge overnight. It is great for travel, even on the airplane.

Would you mind giving me the name of your wife's scooter?

PatyCake - not sure if this is the same, but my sister uses a Luggie. It weighs about 50 pounds (including the battery) and folds to about the size of a carry on suitcase. Great little scooter. She's had it for a couple of years. She is not a full time scooter user but keeps it in the back of her car (fits unfolded in the back of her prius) for when she needs it.

It is a Solax Transformer. we have joked that we should be a dealer for Solax. On our cruise last month on Anthem we had atleast 5 people stop us and ask about it, especially if they saw it folding or unfolding automatically. When we went in a restaurant we would fold it up and leave it in an out of the way spot by the hostess stand.

When flying, if the plane has a coat closet as you enter the plane where they hang coats for first class, you can sit it in the bottom of that instead of them putting it underneath with the luggage.

We also bought a spare battery and charging station. When we go off the ship in port I carry the extra battery in my backpack just in case we need to change it out.

If you are a smaller person you can find numerous economical scooters. If you are a "fluffy" person as I am you will need one that doesn't fold up. Each scooter has a maximum weight limit. I own the same scooter that the rental companies supply to the ships. It is a Pride Victory. It does come apart in 4 pieces to put in the trunk of a car BUT a couple of those pieces weigh a little over 50 lbs each. I have a lift on the back of my car for mine. It takes approximately the same amount of time to take it apart as it does to lower the lift, drive the scooter onto it and raise the scooter up into driving position. I would estimate that time at about 2 minutes. If you have not looked into them just go to a medical supple place in your city. They will advise you. They also rent them so you could rent one much cheaper from them for a cruise. I think the price the rental companies charge is ridiculous. Before I purchased mine I rented one for a week in Vegas. That Vegas rental company only charged $69. for a 7 day rental. Its nearly 4 times that to rent on the ship. Do some research first.

I'm a fluffy lady and I use a folding scooter. It can be folded up and placed in a large duffel bag and easily lifted. I use a travelscoot. It can accommodate folks up to 350lbs and an additional 40lbs of luggage. They can be rented, I was lucky in that my medical insurance covered the purchase. I am using Princess and they require scooters to be placed inside your cabin and not in hallways. This was the reason I looked into the Travelscoot. A few companies offer to rent them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a scooter in a category D1 cabin on Royal Caribbean. I always took it in and out of my cabin, and never parked it in the hallway. That said, the D1 cabins are a little larger than most, and I was traveling solo, so I didn't have to worry about anyone else tripping over it.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the paragraphs below on another thread and hope all cruisers using mobility devices are aware not only of the fire safety issues for other cruisers, but their own safety as well. The issue is not just hampering emergency evacuations by mobility devices being parked in paths of exit travel - but also that the cruise line knows where disabled cruisers are berthed so that extra measures can be taken to ensure their timely and safe evacuation as well.

"As a former professional firefighter, former member of the NFPA committee on life safety, and safety official for a medium-sized federal agency with responsibility for implementing the ADA requirements for a range of occupancy types and planning for emergency evacuation of those buildings, I urge all cruisers with some form of disability or impairment to read and be aware of the National Fire Protection Associations guide for such situations. The guide can be found as a free downloadable PDF document here:

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informati...h-disabilities

Persons with disabilities or impairments need to be aware of ways to ensure they can evacuate or be evacuated safely in the event of an emergency at sea. When you book a cruise, make sure the cruise line is aware of your disability or impairment so that arrangements can be made for your safety and possible emergency evacuation. If you need assistance moving to an area of safe refuge – such as your muster station – ask the cruise line what sort of policies and practices it has in place to assist you in the event of an emergency.

All cruisers should be aware that parking mobility devices in corridors, stairway/elevator lobbies, exit access corridors, is a violation of SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) requirements and presents a hazard to other occupants. SOLAS requires that paths of exit travel be kept clear of obstructions - including corridors, stairways, stairway and elevator lobbies, fire doors, etc. There are no exceptions for only one or two scooters. Parking a scooter, a wheelchair, a walker, or even a baby buggy in a corridor or stairway/elevator lobby should not be allowed and if it is being allowed, the cruise line is being negligent regarding fire safety.

Fire safety requirements are for everyone's protection. If your cruise line is being negligent regarding your safety by allowing others to obstruct your path of safe exit travel with their improperly parked/stored personal mobility devices, it should be reported to the guest relations desk immediately and if corrective action is not forthcoming, report it to the corporate level.

As a former professional firefighter who has, on more than one occasion, zipped a fire victim into a body bag, I can safely say that it's the seemingly innocuous things that cause loss of life during fire emergencies.

Please be aware and protect yourself and others."

I posted the paragraphs below on another thread and hope all cruisers using mobility devices are aware not only of the fire safety issues for other cruisers, but their own safety as well. The issue is not just hampering emergency evacuations by mobility devices being parked in paths of exit travel - but also that the cruise line knows where disabled cruisers are berthed so that extra measures can be taken to ensure their timely and safe evacuation as well.

"As a former professional firefighter, former member of the NFPA committee on life safety, and safety official for a medium-sized federal agency with responsibility for implementing the ADA requirements for a range of occupancy types and planning for emergency evacuation of those buildings, I urge all cruisers with some form of disability or impairment to read and be aware of the National Fire Protection Associations guide for such situations. The guide can be found as a free downloadable PDF document here:

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informati...h-disabilities

Persons with disabilities or impairments need to be aware of ways to ensure they can evacuate or be evacuated safely in the event of an emergency at sea. When you book a cruise, make sure the cruise line is aware of your disability or impairment so that arrangements can be made for your safety and possible emergency evacuation. If you need assistance moving to an area of safe refuge – such as your muster station – ask the cruise line what sort of policies and practices it has in place to assist you in the event of an emergency.

All cruisers should be aware that parking mobility devices in corridors, stairway/elevator lobbies, exit access corridors, is a violation of SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) requirements and presents a hazard to other occupants. SOLAS requires that paths of exit travel be kept clear of obstructions - including corridors, stairways, stairway and elevator lobbies, fire doors, etc. There are no exceptions for only one or two scooters. Parking a scooter, a wheelchair, a walker, or even a baby buggy in a corridor or stairway/elevator lobby should not be allowed and if it is being allowed, the cruise line is being negligent regarding fire safety.

Fire safety requirements are for everyone's protection. If your cruise line is being negligent regarding your safety by allowing others to obstruct your path of safe exit travel with their improperly parked/stored personal mobility devices, it should be reported to the guest relations desk immediately and if corrective action is not forthcoming, report it to the corporate level.

As a former professional firefighter who has, on more than one occasion, zipped a fire victim into a body bag, I can safely say that it's the seemingly innocuous things that cause loss of life during fire emergencies.

Please be aware and protect yourself and others."

Well stated !

Having 12 first responders ( Police & Fire) in my family I learned long before my disability to be very much aware of not blocking access ways . After all no one knows when an emergency is going to arise, not even the person who thinks it OK to leave their scooter, wheelchair, stroller etc. in the hallway for just few minutes. I routinely basically the same thing , particularly regarding SOLAS, on these forums. Additionally I don't think twice to call the ships security personnel when scooters, wheelchairs, walkers, strollers etc left in the hallways and insist they be removed.

Edited by xxoocruiser

sorry to be personal but how much do you weight and do you find your scooter to be at all tippy as it looks to be rather narrow. My brother tipped his over twice when I took him on a cruise and rented a scooter for him.

sorry to be personal but how much do you weight and do you find your scooter to be at all tippy as it looks to be rather narrow. My brother tipped his over twice when I took him on a cruise and rented a scooter for him.

What CC poster are you directing the above question regarding weight?

The issue of a scooter tipping is more related to it probably having been a 3 wheel scooter rather than a 4 wheel scooter more so than the weight of the individual. When using any scooter but most especially a 3 wheel scooter it's important for the end user to know that they have to compensate for when they're riding over unleveled ground. For example if the side walk is higher on your left than the right side, the end user must shift their weight towards the left other wise they risk tipping the scooter. This was one of the first things I learned the hard way after first getting my scooter.

Makes you wonder why they allow the stewards carts to sit in the hallway all day...EM

In reality, it is easier to train the crew than the passengers.

In the case of an emergency, the first mandate is for the crew member to make sure his / her designated area is free of all hazards. Now if an unknown hazard is in that designated area, chances are the crew member may not be aware of it. Even the crew member is suppose to check the entire area, time is of the essence. If he or she has to remove scooter(s), that would detain that crew member from getting to the next assignment. Thus, someplace down the line, someone is not going to get assistance. Or if the crew member assumes the area is clear, an obstacle could restrict others from getting to safety.

Betty