British Isle tour and time in port

I have been thinking about a 12 day Princess British Isle tour w/over night in Dublin. When cruising, do you feel like you have enough time in the ports to get a good feel for the culture of the countries? I just got back from my first cruise ever and went on an Alaskan cruise with Princess. I wish we had more time to spend in ports on excursions. I'm not sure if an all-land tour is my better option for Ireland to see the most of the country.

If you want a "taste" of a country, cruising is generally the way to go.

If you really want a good look at a country, a cruise is definitely not the way to get it. A land tour is. For Ireland, I would think I would like at least 2 weeks in country, maybe 3. Others will like more.

This has been true in most of the countries we have visited via cruise ship. Only a few of the small islands in the Caribbean have satisfied us with a 6 to 8 hour visit.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I have been thinking about a 12 day Princess British Isle tour w/over night in Dublin. When cruising, do you feel like you have enough time in the ports to get a good feel for the culture of the countries? I just got back from my first cruise ever and went on an Alaskan cruise with Princess. I wish we had more time to spend in ports on excursions. I'm not sure if an all-land tour is my better option for Ireland to see the most of the country.

An overnight in Dublin will not give you a true experience of Ireland, but why don't you look at extending your trip with a few days either before or after your cruise?

Fly in/out of (Dublin or Shannon)Ireland from New York and take domestic flight to you cruise embarkation.

If you want to see some of Ireland, then Fly to Dublin, stay there for a couple of night, then hire a car and tour round - staying in pubs or B&Bs.

A short visit on a cruise gives you a tiny window on a city, to do the regular tourist things and head back for a nice dinner on the ship.

An overnight in Dublin will not give you a true experience of Ireland, but why don't you look at extending your trip with a few days either before or after your cruise?

Fly in/out of (Dublin or Shannon)Ireland from New York and take domestic flight to you cruise embarkation.

Good suggestion to combine your cruise with a land tour, this is what we always do. We have a BI cruise booked for next June and will be spending a week each in London and Dublin before and after the sailing:)