Can help with Q for Oslo if someone needs it;)

Hello

I tried a search but failed miserably. 
Oslo to Bergen train.  I’m on the by.no site.  Today is is 60 days out to purchase but I’ve read reports of people buying 90 days out?
Also, what time of day does it switch to the new day?  I want to be ready to pounce

Thank you

38 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Oslo to Bergen train.  I’m on the by.no site.  Today is is 60 days out to purchase but I’ve read reports of people buying 90 days out?

At vy.no the Oslo to Bergen train is 60 days out.

• Thanks 1

@purpleally 90 days from today is 18 of June.

So you will not be able to find a train ticket before 5.april 2023. Since 90 days from 5.april is 4.July. 

You might not be able to get a ticket on that day. Since it's in the middel of the easter holiday in Norway. And in Norway, we do take easter much more closed then compared to the US. So if they are not available, check again on the first working day after the public holidays. * you can see all public holidays in Norway in post 243.

That means 11 of April. 

2 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

So you will not be able to find a train ticket before 5.april 2023. Since 90 days from 5.april is 4.July. 

You might not be able to get a ticket on that day. Since it's in the middel of the easter holiday in Norway. And in Norway, we do take easter much more closed then compared to the US. So if they are not available, check again on the first working day after the public holidays. * you can see all public holidays in Norway in post 243.

That means 11 of April. 

2 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

That means 11 of April. 

Works for me.  Thank you very much. 

On 2/14/2023 at 2:56 PM, Norwaylady said:

So sorry for not answering you.... I had answered, but hadn't posted🥴

Concert 

Ticketmaster in Norway has a reselling ticket option. https://www.ticketmaster.no/feature/resale/?int_cmp_name=Ticketmaster-Resale&int_cmp_id=NO-Home-907&int_cmp_creative=Home-featured-3&language=en-us

If someone wants to sell their tickets, they can sell them official and guaranteed its real tickets. 

Normally they have some more tickets for sale a few days in advance or the same day online in the morning. They always keep some tickets for companies etc.... When they decline, they put it for sale to the public. 

Fjords of Norway

You will be in Oslo, so you have Oslofjorden. But it can't beat the fjords in western Norway...... It's really something special. 

I recommend if you have time to do Norway-in-a-nutshell tour. Just google and you will find a good company that has this trip as a package. 

You can take the train both ways or fly back to Oslo. Oslo-Bergen by air is only 50.min

Hope this helps you in your planning!

Thank you, I will probably ask you lots more questions!  I don’t think we will have time for the nutshell tour, our ship disembarks on 1 July 8 am but I have only found early morning Nutshell option, would want to commit to that then miss it by a few minutes.  And we have the concert 2 July and leave Oslo 4 July, so we’d have to get on the 3 July nutshell trip and then catch early flight from Bergen to oslo for flight to London…can’t miss that flight so I don’t think we can swing it.

I have looked at the links for visitoslo, only shows oslofjord 2 hour trips.  If you are aware of any speedy ships that might get us up to western fjords and back we’d be interested in trying that.  Our ship will not go through those fjords….I really messed up with this itinerary.😢

22 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

That means 11 of April. 

Do you know what time it switches to the next day?  Is it midnight?  Which would be 7 pm for me. 

18 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Thank you, I will probably ask you lots more questions!  I don’t think we will have time for the nutshell tour, our ship disembarks on 1 July 8 am but I have only found early morning Nutshell option, would want to commit to that then miss it by a few minutes.  And we have the concert 2 July and leave Oslo 4 July, so we’d have to get on the 3 July nutshell trip and then catch early flight from Bergen to oslo for flight to London…can’t miss that flight so I don’t think we can swing it.

I have looked at the links for visitoslo, only shows oslofjord 2 hour trips.  If you are aware of any speedy ships that might get us up to western fjords and back we’d be interested in trying that.  Our ship will not go through those fjords….I really messed up with this itinerary.😢

Very sorry to tell you that there are a distance to western part of Norway from Oslo. So there are no catamaran tours that can take you to the Fjords of Norway. You will have a lovely sailing into Oslo. You will pass Drøbak and Oscarsborg, it's a very narrow area during your sail in.  

Just to show how far in distance it is by car and why there are no day trips to areas where you will find the fjords. Skjermbilde2023-03-21kl_12_30_55.thumb.png.cc9dfb53a9c8bbe88be2314688052cec.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-21kl_12_31_54.thumb.png.6bd9fd876d388d550ce34a29720d0d9d.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-21kl_12_32_34.thumb.png.d6b904ea62c19ebfbd16c98967361731.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-21kl_12_33_03.thumb.png.1ba666c337526c736c17ac61509d17f0.png

Make the best of your visit to Oslo!

It's lots to see and do. We have 2 brand new museums, Munch and the national gallery.

In the summer, the Royal palace has daily tours inside. The opera house has guidet tours also. 

Have a walk in Vigelands Parken, the sculpture park. 

You will have no problem of filling your time in Oslo. 

You can take the ferry to the islands, go for a swim on a hot day.

Rent a sauna boat for a good view of the opera house and a lovely swim.

Visit the folklore museum and Kon-Tiki. 

If you dear, go jumping in Holmenkollen ski jump. They have a fun zipline, so you can jump as the professional. 

The list is long and you WILL have a great time!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

You’ve been very kind and I’ve come to realize we will be staying near Oslo and that’ll be great. I was able to buy the concert tickets from a friend of a friend, so I’m excited about that (not excited that it’s all standing😳🤬) but will be very happy to be there.

im looking forward to reviewing all this again to refresh my memory in early June!  Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

@euro cruiser 

There are some companies that can help you. 

Oslo Taxi has 2 routes. It can be altered for your needs. 

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/sightseeing/?tlp=2983673&name=Oslo-Taxi-Sightseeing

HMK Sightseeing

They have private and shared tours. 

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/sightseeing/?tlp=2983283&name=HMK-Sightseeing

This is link to general site from Visit Oslo

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/sightseeing/

If you looking for a special thing or stop, you can also email Visit Oslo. They have an excellent crew that will help you plan and give you advice if you need more information about wheelchair friendly things to do. 

I asked Visit Oslo if they had information in English for those that needs to be able to bring a wheelchair on museums, service dog etc.  This is what they answered:

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/oslo/practical-information/accessibility/

AND

This is the lasted updated list they have for museums. So you will have an idea of what you can plan..... 

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_36_44.thumb.png.625063161f76449050f7f86c21abe426.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_37_03.thumb.png.c259e12fb2927990c70d6b9340c1cbe7.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_37_18.thumb.png.b9317bf853a9041b756694ecdb22f705.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_37_46.thumb.png.36354873df55b8b956da88345f4a0b05.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_42_01.thumb.png.c9f2e5cd81455ad476ee4992dedc69af.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_42_14.png.b208219d33eb2a08be4f8b9593272265.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_42_22.png.e7e71d241eb1635e6406a1e4290fd33d.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_42_36.thumb.png.b924184edc01cc6ed6ee58217cf94299.png

Skjermbilde2023-03-22kl_15_42_47.png.cbb40f92b2a739465fbf86155c7f0591.png

• Thanks 2

On 3/21/2023 at 7:44 AM, Norwaylady said:

If you dear, go jumping in Holmenkollen ski jump. They have a fun zipline, so you can jump as the professional. 

The list is long and you WILL have a great time!

@Norwaylady I just researched the zipline thanks to your suggestion and am now very interested in doing this!  Do we need to reserve in advance or can we just make our way there during our port visit and buy tickets that day?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with departing the ship early in Oslo? I am thinking about the May 27 on the Sky Princess and would like to spend a few days in Oslo instead of going back to Southhampton. I know this practice has become less common due to changing laws?

8 hours ago, CountyCarrie said:

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with departing the ship early in Oslo? I am thinking about the May 27 on the Sky Princess and would like to spend a few days in Oslo instead of going back to Southhampton. I know this practice has become less common due to changing laws?

You must speak to Princess cruises. They can help you and notify/applying for  this. 

On 3/28/2023 at 6:46 PM, queen_kathy1 said:

@Norwaylady I just researched the zipline thanks to your suggestion and am now very interested in doing this!  Do we need to reserve in advance or can we just make our way there during our port visit and buy tickets that day?

This is the drop-in hours for Kollensvevet:

Lørdag = Saturday

Søndag = Sunday

Alle Dager = All days

So in July&August is open everyday. In the lower season its weekends and in June from 17.6.23 they are open daily for drop/in. 

ZIPLINE
April
Lørdag & Søndag 11:00 – 16:00 

Mai
Lørdag 6. mai 14:30 - 17:00 (grunnet arrangement) 
Lørdag & Søndag 11:00 – 17:00 

Juni – til og med 16.juni:

Juni – fra og med 17.juni: 
Mandag – Fredag 11:00 – 16:00

Juli:
Alle dager 11:00 – 17:00 

August:
Alle dager 11:00 – 17:00 

September:

Oktober:

November:

Sorry for late reply. I have been on a cruise during the easter and its been crazy after arrival back in Norway🤪

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Has anyone been to the Viking Planet attraction in Oslo?

https://www.thevikingplanet.com

Thoughts?  Is it any good?  Or is it a very cheesy tourist trap?

That does look like something really different!  I will be interested to hear from anyone with firsthand experience.

TripAdvisor has a lot of reviews.  I'll have a look at them too.

Thanks,

~Nancy