Downgrades in Blu??

OBX-Cruisers

I read on another thread that there were noticeable downgrades in the types and quality of food in Blu for AQ passengers on Summit.

Have any recent AQ passengers seen these reputed downgrade on other ships????

We will be in AQ for the TA in October on Equinox and booked mainly for the AQ experience.

Say it isn't happening, please.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Recently in AQ on the Constellation. Food in Blu was as usual, I thought. Not downgraded in my opinion.

Thank you for this input, often times gourmands will over react as if X was on a level with Crystal or Seabourn in terms of food.

We have found that 'overall' in many aspects, X food to be superb. Always to our liking? No, but there have been other options in each dining venue to satisfy and exceed expectations, to a great degree.

Also, food is subjective in terms of like and desires, how can one actually 'correctly' respond? Service is one measure, and by most other measures X has great food, presentation, and service across the board.

For those who think not, then it was truly an off night for either them, the wait staff or the chef specifically for them and for few others at the time. You will 'find' reviews for the same sailing which are diametrically opposed to each other and then you have to wonder, which is the correct review?

Go, enjoy and report back as to how you found it....

bon voyage

Was AQ this January on the Summit, for four B2Bs and thought the food and service was excellent.

Was three more cruises in the Main Dining room and thought its was very good too.

Edited by A Sixth?

Thanks to all for the reassuring comments. The post I read may have been an exaggeration. We will look forward to our 13 nights in Blu (unless we choose a specialty restaurant in addition for a few nights).

We ate in Luminae, but sometimes got what was on the Blu menu because it looked so good! Also got main dining room food a couple times. I cant speak to how Blu's been in the past, but in May it was fabulous. Although, I think Celebrity has fantastic food just about everywhere :-)

One should always remember that reports are based on individual taste and on one specific cruise. I've been in Blu for B2B cruises where one cruise was great the other only so so. Ally depends on the ingredients and whose cooking. Now if lots of people over several cruises report the same problem we might assume that there is a problem.

We were in Aqua on SUMMIT May 1st and ate most breakfasts and all dinners in Blu.

The menus, food, and service were almost exactly what we have had in Blu on both CONSTELLATION and REFLECTION over the past couple years.

No noticeable changes or downgrading.

On our Connie cruise in February, as we boarded early in aqua class, we were approached by the specialty restaurant people offering a 50% off discount the first night only.

Because we had never eaten in Blu we passed. However we were not able to get them below 25 or 30% off the rest of the cruise.

Has anyone been offered more than 30% off a specialty restaurant on the Summit as they boarded in Aqua Class?

BTW we loved the food in Blu and the dining room was far superior to the MDR in food, service, ambience and noise level.

I read on another thread that there were noticeable downgrades in the types and quality of food in Blu for AQ passengers on Summit.

We will be in AQ for the TA in October on Equinox and booked mainly for the AQ experience.

I would not give a lot credence to a review like that unless they were really specific about what exactly they were unhappy with and how it was different.

First, we have enjoyed all of our cruises in Aqua Class and dining in Blu. The breakfasts and dinners have been of excellent quality. Service has generally been very good.

We have noticed some changes over the past couple of years. Of concern have been the number of tables our dining team were responsible for. On our last cruise, one night they covered 12 tables which is unacceptable. They really hustled but on a couple of nights, we left before dessert as it was a long meal. Another minor change was the substitution of a watered down orange juice concentrate instead of freshly squeezed. It tasted like the drink of astronauts.

Blu is still a quality experience.

Thank you all for your comments.........

Perhaps it is time to conclude that the original post I read was biased or inaccurate and move on to the next topic....Our next cruise in AQ class............Canadians that we met there in October have just left our house after their visit and we will be looking for more friends this coming October.

My thoughts on BLU (and we are hooked to AQ):

- there will always be complainers

- food in Blu (as in other venues) varies with a different cook and crew, even on the same ship

- when you cruise often, the 20th "Pecan Nut Crusted Duck Breast" will never be as special and fabulous as the first times - although still good.

- IMHO Blu still delivers good food in a more relaxed ambiance

Look at the following video clip You will see, that the same dishes look different on different ships or even just another month... but we still enjoy them :-)

[YOUTUBE]IZ5eFfLRz0k[/YOUTUBE]

I thought Blu was superb in terms of service and food quality on our recent Eclipse sailing.

I'm told by Blu staff that the menu has not change in Blu since 2008. They claim that this is because people enjoy the menu and come back to Blu so often that they don't want to change it...

We were in Blu in June on the Solstice. There was no difference in anything food wise. Maybe less servers. The menu was the same as in the past.

Food and service in Blu was excellent on our recent Silhouette cruise - what prevented us eating there more often was the incredible rudeness of some fellow guests.

Oh no! :eek:

Tell us a bit more.

I thought Blu was superb in terms of service and food quality on our recent Eclipse sailing.

I'm told by Blu staff that the menu has not change in Blu since 2008. They claim that this is because people enjoy the menu and come back to Blu so often that they don't want to change it...

On our sailing on Reflection, there was a new menu this season. Most of the items were the same. There were noticeably more duck dishes. Many changes were made with the dessert menu. On the first night, there was a supplemental menu which were additional appetizers available from the MDR. These included French onion soup, shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, escargot, etc.

Just guests who felt the servers who were there for them only, incredibly rude to them and making unreasonable demands. Don't get me wrong lots of lovely guests but those miniority put me off eating breakfast there a couple of times.