Input about which Zoo

We will be visiting Australia for the 1st time in March. While there, we want to visit a zoo or wildlife habitat. We will be in Sydney, Newcastle, Airlie Beach, Carins, Port Douglas and Brisbane. I've found the following and would appreciate some local advice! Also, let me know if I've missed any!

Taronga Zoo

Featherdale Wildlife Park

Carins Zoo

Port Douglas Wildlife Habitat

Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin)

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Thank you very much :)

Hi Cricketts, I would think it depends on what time you will have available. I am assuming it is the Australian animals you are wanting to see. If you have a few days in Sydney before leaving on a cruise then I would visit Taronga. You can take a ferry across to it and spend the time in the Australian area. Alternatively you could book a day trip to visit Featherdale. This would free up your port stops for other activities. If you don't have time in Sydney then perhaps a ship excursion that includes a wildlife park would be the way to go. The ones you have listed (although I haven't been to Cairns Zoo) have enough Australian species for you. It's been a long time since I was at the Port Douglas one so not sure what it is like now.

Australia Zoo would be my choice although I have not been to all on the list.

We found plenty to see and do and the various shows they put on during the day featuring Australian animals and birds were great.

Have a look ate the various websites for each to help you decide.

And don't forget the warning when cuddling a Koala!!

Australia Zoo would be my choice although I have not been to all on the list.

We found plenty to see and do and the various shows they put on during the day featuring Australian animals and birds were great.

Have a look ate the various websites for each to help you decide.

And don't forget the warning when cuddling a Koala!!

LOL, I'll ask for a poncho!!

Cairns Tropical Zoo has unfortunately closed.

There are however other parks around the Cairns area that have 'animal' attractions.

Hartley's Crocodile Adventures - predominately crocodiles with cassowary, koalas, birds, lizards, snakes http://www.crocodileadventures.com/

Bird World Kuranda - birds http://www.birdworldkuranda.com/

Kuranda Koala Gardens - Koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, snakes, wombats, lizards. http://www.koalagardens.com/

Australian Butterfly Sanctuary - yep, butterflies! http://australianbutterflies.com/

Rainforestation Nature Park - birds, reptiles and mammals http://www.rainforest.com.au/

if haven't been to Cairns or Port Douglas, but I've been to the others on your list. My choice would be Taronga. Australia Zoo was good but I was there 1 years ago and I don't knife it has changed.

if you change plans and go off the beaten track, Taronga also has a zoo in Dubbo.

The consensus is right, Taronga is the must see Zoo, for animals but location, location, location. The Birds of Prey show set against a backdrop of the Harbour, Bridge, Opera House and your ship at CQ OPT is a definite must see too. Enjoy your stay here

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would definitely go to Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney due to both the exhibits and the location on the harbour. If you have time then either Featherdale Wildlife park in Sydney or the Australia zoo just north of Brisbane.

Canberra zoo is pretty good too.

Yes, it is a good zoo that offers some unique experiences and well worth a visit if here in Canberra for a few days.

Note that it is a privately owned and run Zoo and is National in name only.

Edited by MicCanberra

Holy moly sorry about the typos in my above post. I'm sick with the flu and obviously the meds are knocking me. Or maybe it's my phone's fault? ;)

I haven't been to Australia zoo in 13 years. I don't know if it has changed.

It happens.

I'm on medication, at times, that makes my eyes gunk up... You may have seen some of my posts when I'm like that. But because I'm probably totally bed ridden at those times and bored out of my tiny little skull, I need to post to keep my self at least a little sane.

Taronga is wonderful. Ferry over, take the cable car to the top, walk down and ferry back. Gorgeous.

Oh and either take food or don't go hungry (or be prepared for massive sticker shock at the food and drink prices)

That'd be my way too.

Ferry, cable car to the top, it's a steep climb, plus you get a great overview of what's where, walk back down.

Mortgage your home if you want to buy lunch.