Tipping bartenders?

jabrown40

We were told by staff onboard that they are NOT getting 18% per drink when you have the drink package. What the ship does is take the total service charges for a cruise and apparently they decide how much a server will get per drink for that cruise, and it changes every cruise based on how many packages sold.

It makes sense though because if people are drinking more than the value of their packages, even if they paid the 18% and it wasn't paid by the cruise line, where is that extra money to tip coming from? It's not. So if I spend a lot of time in one area, I tip extra because I don't think they are getting enough tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This wonderful discussion has gone south. Having cleaned my first table in a resturant in 1968 I get it.

Let's agree that we all have variying and different out looks. Those of us that have taken an order and sat a hot plate of food on a table get it. Yet many that have been on the receiving end of this service will never understand.

Edited by wallie5446

I have the feeling that no matter what anyone says, it would not be good enough for you. BTW nobody suggested "skipping the line" Just admit that you don't like to tip.

If you frequent a restaurant without tipping, I wonder what they do to your food before serving it to you. :eek:

From what I read, the regular tipping wasn't even mentioned, just the extra tipping. Most restaurant employees are professional and will still give you good finished product no matter if you tip well or not, or a demanding customer. Apparently based on your last comment, that isn't the case where you live.

People will do whatever their conscience allows them and just about nothing that is said on these boards will actually change some people's tipping (or non tipping) habits.

As has been said many times we need a like button.

This wonderful discussion has gone south. Having cleaned my first table in a resturant in 1968 I get it.

Let's agree that we all have variying and different out looks. Those of us that have taken an order and sat a hot plate of food on a table get it. Yet many that have been on the receiving end of this service will never understand.

My feelings exactly....if you've worked a "tip class" job you get it.....many who haven't .... don't.....

Well said.

Cheers!

From what I read, the regular tipping wasn't even mentioned, just the extra tipping. .

Perhaps you should read his comment again. He referred to an 18% gratuity as "extortionate."

Actually the more common freely given gratuity in the U.S., is 20%. It has been for a couple of decades at least that I recall.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

If the drink package is included in your booking, is the basic tip included also?

Can someone be so kind to answer my question? I know on NCL you have to pay additional for the comped drink package to cover the tips. I'll palm you a $5! ;)

Thank You

If you have a drinks package as a perk, gratuities are included. You will not have to pay any further tip unless the price of any drink exceeds your package limit.

You can of course tip extra if you wish.

Edited by mike30542

Can someone be so kind to answer my question? I know on NCL you have to pay additional for the comped drink package to cover the tips. I'll palm you a $5! ;)

Thank You

If you get the drinks package, you don't need to pay any additional tips as 18% gratuity has already been included (even if it's a perk).

JIm

Perhaps you should read his comment again. He referred to an 18% gratuity as "extortionate."

Actually the more common freely given gratuity in the U.S., is 20%. It has been for a couple of decades at least that I recall.

But the Cruise line doesnt call itself a USA one - 'multinational' is what I was told . Even the ships aren't American [emoji41]

Surely we have to accept that different countries have different cultures- not right or wrong just different.

Personally I cannot see why I should be expected to pay a % tip / service charge . if i buy a £20 bottle of wine it is the same amount of effort to serve that or a £10 or a £100 bottle.

I have a simple approach .

If gratuities / tips are compulsory (eg Bar drinks) then I have no choice but to pay it , and regard the price if a $10 drink as actually $11.80 .

If they are voluntary then I opt not to pay them and / or adjust the level. Celebrity give me the option , so I take it.

But the Cruise line doesnt call itself a USA one - 'multinational' is what I was told . Even the ships aren't American [emoji41]

Surely we have to accept that different countries have different cultures- not right or wrong just different.

Personally I cannot see why I should be expected to pay a % tip / service charge . if i buy a £20 bottle of wine it is the same amount of effort to serve that or a £10 or a £100 bottle.

I have a simple approach .

If gratuities / tips are compulsory (eg Bar drinks) then I have no choice but to pay it , and regard the price if a $10 drink as actually $11.80 .

If they are voluntary then I opt not to pay them and / or adjust the level. Celebrity give me the option , so I take it.

You do have a choice, don't buy the bar drinks or anything else you feel isn't right. We quit buying the drinks several years ago and survive just fine. We can easily afford it but refuse to pay more than we feel is a fair price. Yes, there are local places that charge the same prices, or more but there are many many more that don't those are the ones we frequent.

Nobody is expected to pay anything additional. I understand the European culture is different and tipping is not expected there. I'm looking forward to going to Europe next year and not having to tip. :-)

Just because some of us feel like tipping extra, why are people getting their panties in a wad because they don't want to tip extra? We never said they had to. People who don't tip or don't tip extra, won't tip no matter what anyone else says.

If we get larger pours, smiles from the staff or faster service than those that don't tip, what difference does it make? Everyone has the right to tip or NOT as they see fit. And the servers have a right to react as they wish as long as it's professional, right?

I use tips as a reward, not a bribe that maybe the bartender will also shine my shoes.:rolleyes:

When I cruise, I don't worry about these things and I just enjoy my cruise. If I want a drink then I have it, I don't think about if the gratuities are an extra or if they are included, why do I want to spoil my holiday with such trivial notions.

Thank You

Last Nov the red wine the wifester was drinking cost $13.50, every glass :eek: we got a chit for .59 cents :o The 18% grat on the $13 is covered, anything over has the 18% charged agonist your sea pass account.

Sorry I gotta call BS on this one.....I have NEVER seen a bartender (and I've seen thousands) that thinks someone who tips DEMANDS special treatment nor one that doesn't appreciate a good tipper (but they SURE do talk badly about you non tippers) BUT I do know that when they get said tip they do provide it.....which is why I always pre tip when I settle on a favorite bartender ....I don't expect special treatment nor get upset if I don't get it but somehow my martini always ends up in front of me within seconds of me sitting down...:D I always wonder why non tippers always post that based on "their conversations" with staff....why would you have a conversation about tipping with staff if you don't tip, I never have and I do tip....again, calling BS on that one too!

What do mean by NON TIPPERS since everyone gets 18% added to their drinks and therefore has tipped?

I still would love to hear examples of this 'extra service' that justifies tipping more than the already extortionate 18%. If it's just "skipping the line", I feel it's unethical to pay for that.

What else are they doing for you? Shoe shines? Like, I legitimately cannot imagine what 'extra' 'above and beyond' service a bartender can provide that would justify any additional tips.

Have you ever had you lap crumbed??

Whatever happened to doing the job you are paid to do without expecting something over and above your agreed remuneration ?

I have sat at many bars on cruise ships and I don't think I have ever seen a green back pass across the bar as a tip but I have seen a green back once whilst getting an early morning coffee from Al Bacio.

What people say they do on forums like this and what they do in practice is a completely different matter.

If every passenger voluntarily paid an 18% gratuity then there would be no need for compulsory gratuities.

Perhaps coming from the Antipodes I am stupid and don't understand why after paying a compulsory 18% gratuity I should be expected, by some, to pay a further 18% because that is what a $1 tip is on a $6 bottle of beer.

What people say they do on forums like this and what they do in practice is a completely different matter.

Perhaps coming from the Antipodes I am stupid and don't understand why after paying a compulsory 18% gratuity I should be expected, by some, to pay a further 18% because that is what a $1 tip is on a $6 bottle of beer.

2 points -- What I say on this forum is what I do AND no one here has said you are EXPECTED to tip anything extra.... some do and some don't

Whatever happened to doing the job you are paid to do without expecting something over and above your agreed remuneration ?

I have sat at many bars on cruise ships and I don't think I have ever seen a green back pass across the bar as a tip but I have seen a green back once whilst getting an early morning coffee from Al Bacio.

If every passenger voluntarily paid an 18% gratuity then there would be no need for compulsory gratuities.

I know where you are coming from and I too have never seen the green backs on the bar. However, I don't think anyone is expecting people to tip extra on top of the 18% gratuity, some just do it for other reasons.