HAL Cruise Terminal in San Diego

There are shuttles between the airport and the cruise terminal. And there is a hotel shuttle between the train station and the Wyndam hotel that is right across the street from the cruise terminal. If you get a front balcony room in the tower, you can watch the ship come in and even hear some of the announcements. if the old family-owned Anthony's Fish restaurant is still there right close by (they lost their city lease), it was really very good despite its old style delivery and menu.

The newly revamped pier area shops and restaurants and the historic USN carrier Midway right next door are very worthy spots to visit. The airport and cruise terminal are fairly close so getting a taxi is no problem and there may be a downtown hotel bus that also leaves from the airport. This is a city build on tourism -so they go the extra mile here to try and make it work for you. Plus there is a CVS "drug store" a few blocks away that lets you pick up any items you forgot or did not want to pack for weight. We buy our bottled water to take on board here - jug size.

San Diego tries to encourage a good cruise experience, but they still built one of the worst new terminals and their security lines on our last cruise were a nightmare. HAL felt they had to provide a welcome sparkling wine and appetizer event after we finally ran the gauntlet and got on board, it was that bad.

Just pray you are not in port the same day as one of the sailing behemoths.

Edited by OlsSalt

It is not hard to get a cab there.

Our experience at that terminal was NOT good.

I wouldn't rush there. Wait until the bulk of the people have gone through. It took forever when we went.

If you do want to board early, be one of the first. Anything in between is a zoo and it is not well organized.

Lots of close hotels....the Marriott is the one we used for a January cruise, and it was perfect. While technically within walking distance to the pier, it's only about a 5$ cab ride, and it's right across the street from the amazing barbecue place made famous in Top Gun. Another option is to get to the pier early, check your bags, and then go visit the aircraft carrier, about a block from the pier. Great presentation of the ship and aircraft. Take a leisurely tour and then head back to complete the boarding after the hoards have gone through.

It is not hard to get a cab there.

Our experience at that terminal was NOT good.

I wouldn't rush there. Wait until the bulk of the people have gone through. It took forever when we went.

If you do want to board early, be one of the first. Anything in between is a zoo and it is not well organized.

We are departing on a Friday, so I'm hoping that might help. I've seen some reports here of the lack of organization at this particular port, but we like the cruise itinerary so we'll grin and bear it! Thanks for your help.

Lots of close hotels....the Marriott is the one we used for a January cruise, and it was perfect. While technically within walking distance to the pier, it's only about a 5$ cab ride, and it's right across the street from the amazing barbecue place made famous in Top Gun. Another option is to get to the pier early, check your bags, and then go visit the aircraft carrier, about a block from the pier. Great presentation of the ship and aircraft. Take a leisurely tour and then head back to complete the boarding after the hoards have gone through.

That's good to hear the Marriott was our first choice for hotel. How far is the Marriott from the airport? Thanks again.

While I know lots of people have had horrid experiences, I'm happy to report 2 good ones. It likely had to do with the fact that ours was the only ship in (and it was "little" Veendam, there were a lot of locals aboard, and I took the train. Both times I arrived around noon, walked the 8 minutes from Amtrak to the dock, and was onboard in a reasonable time. The second time it was only 45 minutes through the lines.

The biggest problem were the large number of pax who seemed to think that the muster drill did not include them, and they had to be rounded up. It took WAY more than 30 minutes to get everyone accounted for. Our station had about 70% show up within a few minutes. It took another 15 or so minutes before a very long line of pax started to appear and take their places. So we were treated to an extended time in the hot direct sun (it was about 104 that day). So thanks to a large number of pax, muster was well over an hour. Keel hauling was sounding appropriate.

DO NOT put any electrical cords/extensions/adapters in your checked luggage as the San Diego x-ray screening picks it up as "not authorized" and your bag will be redirected to the "naughty room" behind the Front Desk. Of course nobody will tell where it is until you inquire late in the afternoon. You will be asked to open the luggage and the cords will be confiscated (even if they do not have surge protectors) until the evening before the end of your cruise.

You can put your electrical cords/adapters/extensions in your carry-on bags with no issues. The TSA-type scanner folks seem to only care about weapons and booze.

We always stay at the Best Western Plus on Ash Street (five blocks from the terminal) and they provide free shuttle service to the port. There is an attached restaurant with a killer flat iron steak salad and a 24-hour Rite Aid across the street for beverages, toiletries, sundries, snacks, meds, etc.

Taxi ride from the airport is about ten minutes.

I like the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway, 2 blocks over from the terminal. I just walk my roller bag over there, even though the HI has a shuttle to the port. The Hampton also will pick you up at the airport. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, including those in Little Italy.

Much like Ft. Lauderdale, the airport, cruise port, and hotels are close to one another.

Roz

Edited by Roz

We stayed at the Embassy Suites. Location was good and we had a view of the ships.

I like the one in FLL better even if it is older -must be the plants, koi, bridge, etc. ;) But it was a good spot.

I stayed right across the street at the Wyndam, watched my ship come in early in the morning and later, when I saw people getting off the ship I just walked down to the stoplight, crossed the street and was on the ship quickly. I'd shipped my huge bag ahead of time, so just had my carry-on to deal with.

Best SD advice I have heard in a long time.

DO NOT put any electrical cords/extensions/adapters in your checked luggage as the San Diego x-ray screening picks it up as "not authorized" and your bag will be redirected to the "naughty room" behind the Front Desk. Of course nobody will tell where it is until you inquire late in the afternoon. You will be asked to open the luggage and the cords will be confiscated (even if they do not have surge protectors) until the evening before the end of your cruise.

You can put your electrical cords/adapters/extensions in your carry-on bags with no issues. The TSA-type scanner folks seem to only care about weapons and booze.

Thanks for this great tip - I would have sinned! Now we will carry any cords in carry-ons. Heading out of SD in September on Amsterdam to the South Pacific. Alas, we will be boarding along with NCL Sun, although not a hug ship, maybe 2000 IIRC. We were on her in 2005. We have had the experience of getting off one ship and onto another in SD and it all went perfectly, so fingers crossed ;). m--

I stayed right across the street at the Wyndam, watched my ship come in early in the morning and later, when I saw people getting off the ship I just walked down to the stoplight, crossed the street and was on the ship quickly. I'd shipped my huge bag ahead of time, so just had my carry-on to deal with.

Getting a room facing the pier in the tower by it is great! And I think it is closer to the ship from your room than from your room to the hotel's front desk! Good tip about waiting in your room until you see alot of people coming off (many will walk over to the hotel or to the nearby train station) and then going over to the pier.

As to the nearby Hampton, we like this place as well, but be sure to ask for a room facing the front of the hotel as the rear facing rooms can be noisy due to the trains right by them. Last time we got in late and had a rear facing room and knew we were in trouble when instead of chocolates on our pillows we found ear plugs! - Not kidding!

Getting a room facing the pier in the tower by it is great! And I think it is closer to the ship from your room than from your room to the hotel's front desk! Good tip about waiting in your room until you see alot of people coming off (many will walk over to the hotel or to the nearby train station) and then going over to the pier.

As to the nearby Hampton, we like this place as well, but be sure to ask for a room facing the front of the hotel as the rear facing rooms can be noisy due to the trains right by them. Last time we got in late and had a rear facing room and knew we were in trouble when instead of chocolates on our pillows we found ear plugs! - Not kidding!

Ask for the South tower- higher floor. you'll be looking into the bow when you open the drapes in the morning. If you open the sliding door you will hear the announcements on board across the street.

Ask for the South tower- higher floor. you'll be looking into the bow when you open the drapes in the morning. If you open the sliding door you will hear the announcements on board across the street.

The first time we did this we thought the ship was going to come right into our room! Great sight.

..if the old family-owned Anthony's Fish restaurant is still there right close by (they lost their city lease), it was really very good despite its old style delivery and menu.

Anthony's is now reporting on their website that they will remain open through January 2017. It has been around since 1946, and is a great old-fashioned waterfront fish restaurant, for those interested. A nice local chain of fish restaurants called Brigantine will open a branch in that location after that, from what I've heard. So there will continue to be seafood dining within walking distance of the pier.

One reward for having run the potential "gauntlet" of boarding in San Diego is that you will be then sail from a beautiful port, perhaps second only to San Francisco on the West Coast for scenery.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Sailing outta San Diego, we prefer to stay @ the Days Inn a few blocks away, it is right by Little Italy and some CRAZY TASTY places to hit. Price isn't too bad, close to Little Italy & Enterprise is right up the street to grab a rental for a few days, drop the car off on the day you sail and they'll run you down to the terminal.

The only negative is that there is a rail line right behind the hotel.