Muster Drill change?

I first cruised on Royal in 2002 or 2003 (so long ago). We left for our muster stations at the sound of the horn. I think We also had to have our life vests with us.

I took a break and tried another line for a bit and came back to Royal last Feb. We experienced the written directions of "head to your muster stations at the sound of the horn", but we were at a bar when the 15-minute warning announcement came on, and the bartender said we would have to head to the muster station at that point. No life vests were required, though, which seems to be the current policy.

I know the life vest thing didn't come up in this thread, but I was mildly surprised that they were no longer required on Royal.

I know the life vest thing didn't come up in this thread, but I was mildly surprised that they were no longer required on Royal.

As ships have gotten larger, they are now capable of providing ample storage for life vests at muster. It's actually a safety concern to have people wearing them to and from the muster drill. They can impede vision and the straps can cause tripping.

I had the worst muster last cruise. I told myself I would NOT muster again without a drink in hand. Standing outside in Galveston harbor in the muggy heat for what feels like an hour is completely ridiculous.

Turns out you have to go well before the muster starts. I tried to go to the promenade and everything is closed during the drill. I ended up wasting time, showing up with no drink, and being pissed off at myself.

Next time I get two sodas as I walk on the boat and hold on to them until needed...

The sooner we complete the muster education session the sooner our vacation can begin.

The muster education can be more effective if people show up at the scheduled time. Stragglers are a distraction from the important presentation.

If it is important to you to act it out as if it were an actual emergency from your room, you can choose to do that. But try to arrive at the scheduled time regardless of whether there are bells and whistles going off.

I would say that 80% of the people on Oasis class find their way before the designated time. As a seasoned traveler, I am always there early. Oasis class is air conditioned muster locations.

The most important part of the muster education is located at the muster station itself. I know how to use a stairway already and would rather not be trampled for the sake of a drill.

Edited by TubbyMrT

There is a reason why these people are working on a cruise ship and not at the Mayo Clinic.;)

Actually some of those folks on the ships are swift enough to work at Mayo Clinic but they are not Americans and don't have the opportunity to do so.

The sooner we complete the muster education session the sooner our vacation can begin.

The muster education can be more effective if people show up at the scheduled time. Stragglers are a distraction from the important presentation.

If it is important to you to act it out as if it were an actual emergency from your room, you can choose to do that. But try to arrive at the scheduled time regardless of whether there are bells and whistles going off.

I would say that 80% of the people on Oasis class find their way before the designated time. As a seasoned traveler, I am always there early. Oasis class is air conditioned muster locations.

The most important part of the muster education is located at the muster station itself. I know how to use a stairway already and would rather not be trampled for the sake of a drill.

So if everyone on the ship showed up an hour before the muster drill, they would start the presentation early?:confused:

The announcements have always been counter to what is actually expected or needed.

By the time they blast the signal, everyone should be lined up and expectant at their muster stations.

Do not wait for the alarm.

Go about 10-15 minutes before the "scheduled" time.

That is the right way to muster.

:)

ETA: If you wait to leave your cabin until the alarm sounds, hundreds of pairs of eyes will GLARE at you as you stroll to your muster station. You are keeping everyone waiting FOR YOU.

Disagree. The other people are early. We are on time. Let them glare all they want.

The only time we have started the trek to muster drill before the horn was on Oasis, when we were on Deck 17 and our station was the Aquatheater. Otherwise we wait in the comfort of our cabin until we hear seven short and one long, then we go to the drill. We have had stateroom attendants try to shoo us along and we won't go until the horn sounds.

But they don't sound the horn until every one is in place and checked in! At least not on any cruise I have ever been on. They start announcements 30 minutes and then 15 minutes out. Hell the crew is practically herding you out of their spaces and to your muster station. It just makes no bloody sense to me to do it your way.

That's never happened to us. Yes, they start announcements, saying that the horn will sound in 30 minutes, AT WHICH POINT we should head to our stations. It's not like Keeneland, where the horses have to be lined up before the starter's pistol.

Edited by critterchick

oh I am with the OP. I was also told to go early. I'm D+ and have always waited for the horns. yes, many go early, but even when I arrive we still wait and wait for the drill to start. Are people now saying that the horn blows once everyone is in place?

Also, I now remember why I don't come to CC that often any more. It has become a slam the poster type of forum. I have checked in a few times lately and it isn't the helpful forum it used to be. more of "How can I tell someone how dumb they are?"

As ships have gotten larger, they are now capable of providing ample storage for life vests at muster. It's actually a safety concern to have people wearing them to and from the muster drill. They can impede vision and the straps can cause tripping.

This makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for confirming. I'm happy not having to pull it out of the closet for the drill.

This makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for confirming. I'm happy not having to pull it out of the closet for the drill.

Not to worry, you won't have a lifejacket in your closet to pull out anyway on Allure. They are at the muster stations and also at the lifeboats.

Also, I now remember why I don't come to CC that often any more. It has become a slam the poster type of forum. I have checked in a few times lately and it isn't the helpful forum it used to be. more of "How can I tell someone how dumb they are?"

I'm not sure it has gotten any worse - one just has to have some thick skin and wade through the muck to get to the info they need. Then, move on - unless you want to wade in.

I do wish Royal did their musters like Celebrity (inside). That being said, we go to our muster station at the time indicated on the daily paper, get checked off & stand in line waiting for those that come when the horn blares.

That's what we did on our last two cruises (not on Royal) and it worked out great.

Reallyitsmema, do you know why they decided to remove life jackets from the cabins and leave at the muster stations. Could it be the majority would not be in their rooms but out & about so faster for everyone to head immediately to their stations.

I really have no idea. It could be because of the way the Oasis class ships are designed, there is more room to have lockers full of lifejackets in those areas. The lifeboats open onto the jogging track on that class ship, not a outdoor promenade deck that has deck chairs.

I most likely am wrong but I was under the impression this change took place after Concordia hit the rocks. There were so many follks not able to get to their life jackets in their cabins. That is the first I have experienced not having to take our life jackets. So great as now able to get to Sail-Away faster without having to carry life jacket.

Saw posted that Oasis muster is inside. Is this true? She is our next crusie. Due to mobility issues and other medical issues, we are not able to stand outside so always have to report early so we can be assigned a seat inside. Also, reason you never have to worry about us hogging chairs at the pool...to darn hot outside and sun contributes to skin cancer. We enjoy our cruised from inside/air-conditioned ship, bars included.

I have never waited in my room waiting for the announcement. Sweated a lot through ].

On our first and maybe our first couple of cruises, the instructions (if I remember correctly) were to go to our cabins and put on our life jackets and when we heard the blasts go to our muster stations.

After our early cruises, the instructions seemed to change: first, we did not need to put on our life jackets and secondly, we did not need to start out in our stateroom.

In reality the muster drill to me, isn't really a 'practice run' but more a way to familiarize cruisers with where their muster station is and what the sounds of the siren will 'sound like' in the case of a real emergency.

In a real emergency going to your cabin first to get your life jacket, WASTES precious time getting to the muster stations and then to the lifeboat. In a real emergency, you will head to your muster station from where ever you are on the ship.

I know what time the muster drill is to begin and a few minutes prior to the drill make my way to the station, so I am there for it to start on time. We all know late arrivers will happen, it won't be me, nor my DH.

On our first cruise on Allure we were in the stateroom when the alarm sounded. Outside crew members directed us to use the crew staircase down if I remember correctly. However, on the most recent Norwegian Escape and Harmony cruises it seemed like they wanted people to be at the station before the drill.

I have a theory as to why: they are cheating!

A muster drill, like all fire/evacuation drills is an indicator on how they would perform in an emergency. Airplanes have a requirement that they should be fully evacuated in X seconds. I wouldn't be surprised that the cruise lines are facing similar demands (90% of passengers accounted for in 5 minutes?) or something like that, and by having most passengers at the muster station before they sound the horns their numbers look good.

It also seems that not nearly everyone gets to the muster station. I asked the guy responsible for our post how many were missing from his terminal and there was quite a few.

I'm try to remember to ask how many on Harmony next time

I'm not sure it has gotten any worse - one just has to have some thick skin and wade through the muck to get to the info they need. Then, move on - unless you want to wade in.

And find the ignore user feature. Its amazing how many of the same names show up in every thread with those type of posts.

Saw posted that Oasis muster is inside. Is this true? She is our next crusie. Due to mobility issues and other medical issues, we are not able to stand outside so always have to report early so we can be assigned a seat inside. .

Where you muster station is depends on your cabin location, though I don't know if accessible cabins are treated differently. Most Oasis muster stations are in doors, but twice on Allure we were in the aquatheater, so we arrived early to make sure we got seats.

oh I am with the OP. I was also told to go early. I'm D+ and have always waited for the horns. yes, many go early, but even when I arrive we still wait and wait for the drill to start. Are people now saying that the horn blows once everyone is in place? "

Nobody is saying the latter, but if I go early or wait for the horns depends on the muster location. If its outside on the promenade deck, you are punished for getting there early by being pressed against the back wall while people filter in around you. In these situations, we go as soon as the alarm sounds, but will hand around the landing area on the proper deck (out of the way) and watch the steady stream of people coming down and up the stairs and once it changes from a steady stream to a trickle, we walk out and assume our position. Indoor musters like we have had on Jewel, Oasis, and outdoor locations on Allure with chairs, we get there early.

Doesn't really matter what you do. Totally outdated and useless exercise. SOLAS is great overall. But the "muster" practice is an absolute waste...

Please elaborate.

Ships still sink. See Costa Concordia.

People need to be accounted for in smaller, orderly groups. See every disaster ever.

Kids need to be matched to their parents, if possible, or at least made aware of where each other are. See almost any parent.

You need to put a reasonable number of people in lifeboats in a disaster. See Titanic.