Muster Drill change?

No we are not the "Royal Experts" that are usually on here. But has there been a change fleet wide regarding the Muster Drill?

We cruised Oasis in 2013 and Freedom in 2014. Both times, we waited in our rooms until the "start" of the Muster Drill. IIRC, this came with an announcement saying "please report to your muster station" followed by the horn blasts. Both times, we left the room, and followed all the other passengers to the appropriate station.

Fast forward to 2016. We were just on Freedom. We're sitting in the room waiting for the drill to start. There's an announcement about 10 minutes before the drill saying (paraphrasing) "the drill will start momentarily. There will be seven short blasts and one long blast of the horn. When the drill starts, please proceed to your muster station with your sea pass in your hand." Then nothing. So we wait some more (no sense standing in the heat longer than you need to, right?).

About 5 minutes later (at least 5 minutes before the "start" of the drill), there's a knock on the door. It's our cabin attendant saying we need to head to our muster station. I told him we were waiting for the horn blasts and he said they've changed and want everyone in place before that.

As we leave the room and walk down the hall, I see cards in every door lock saying "evacuated". We get to our muster station (still before the official time of the drill), and line up. I think about 8-10 folks from our muster showed up after we did.

I know it's been debated on here whether you should be at your muster station when the horn blasts happen or head to your station when you hear the horn blasts. Does this mean Royal has decided that for us?

FWIW, I saw nothing (that doesn't mean there wasn't signage) about being at the muster station at the start of the drill.

Personally, I think it makes more sense for everyone to go at once so people can see how organized it is moving massive amounts of people (and not using all the emergency stairs).

Other recent experiences?

I hope you do realize they must take roll at each muster station. By waiting in the comfort of your cabin, everyone is waiting on you to complete the roll call for your particular muster station. Your attitude is why muster takes so long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The announcements have always been counter to what is actually expected or needed.

By the time they blast the signal, everyone should be lined up and expectant at their muster stations.

Do not wait for the alarm.

Go about 10-15 minutes before the "scheduled" time.

That is the right way to muster.

:)

ETA: If you wait to leave your cabin until the alarm sounds, hundreds of pairs of eyes will GLARE at you as you stroll to your muster station. You are keeping everyone waiting FOR YOU.

Edited by Merion_Mom

I hope you do realize they must take roll at each muster station. By waiting in the comfort of your cabin, everyone is waiting on you to complete the roll call for your particular muster station. Your attitude is why muster takes so long.

I hope you do realize the instructions ROYAL gives is to head to your muster station when the drill starts.

How about this... everyone should go to their muster station an hour ahead of time and the drill can end early. :rolleyes:

The announcements have always been counter to what is actually expected or needed.

By the time they blast the signal, everyone should be lined up and expectant at their muster stations.

ETA: If you wait to leave your cabin until the alarm sounds, hundreds of pairs of eyes will GLARE at you as you stroll to your muster station. You are keeping everyone waiting FOR YOU.

No disrespect, because I know you are a wealth of knowledge here, but if Royal (and they're really the only ones that count) wants everyone AT the muster station when the horns sound, shouldn't they tell people that?

We used to wait for the horn to sound for the drill, but found we seemed to be considered to be almost late, even though we left when it sounded, per the instructions.

On the Oasis and Allure, we never got to sit down in the lounge or dining room where the drill was held because we left when the drill was sounded.

We have started leaving earlier. It is amazing that the instructions given are not what is expected.

No disrespect, because I know you are a wealth of knowledge here, but if Royal (and they're really the only ones that count) wants everyone AT the muster station when the horns sound, shouldn't they tell people that?

Yes, and isn't that just how I started my post?!?!?!?

agreed :)

every cruise we have ever been one, whenever its like 15-20 minutes before the horn starts blasting, when they are announcing "Look on your card and go to your assigned muster station" we just go and then get checked in.

I just assumed that WAS what the rules were????

I had the same experience in Freedom in 2014. We waited till the alarm sounded, because they came on the PA system and told me "when the alarm sounds move to your muster station." No one told us to get there before, and my cabin attendant didn't come Looking for us. It seemed this was the way everyone was doing it because I remember making my way down the flight of staris on a very crowded stairwell. We got there, maybe half the group was there and the other half filled in soon after.

Fast forward to the Allure this April and we are sitting on the pool deck and the same announcement comes on telling us to prepare to move when the alarm sounds. Maybe a minute later I have a worker telling me I have to move now.

So why the difference in directions? Why tell me one thing but expect me to behave in another? When the announcement comes up why not us say "please move to your station now"? Makes no sense to me.

Edited by BigHouseFootball

On our most recent Explorer cruise, our daughter and her family waited in their stateroom for the alarm. They have been on about six Princess cruises and thought this was the expected routine. A few minutes before the alarm sounded, their room steward chewed them out saying they were trying to hide out and not go. He was NOT kidding. Needless to say, their relationship with him was strained for the whole cruise.

I do wish Royal did their musters like Celebrity (inside). That being said, we go to our muster station at the time indicated on the daily paper, get checked off & stand in line waiting for those that come when the horn blares.

If muster is at 4 pm you need to be at your station at 4 pm. Not heading to it. Our preferred method is to stake a claim indoors at the closest spot to sit to the door we need to go out to find our station. 5 minutes of, we head out. All the announcements I ever hear is : in 15 minutes the muster drill will begin. Please proceed to your muster station. Not once is there anything about waiting until horns sound.

If muster is at 4 pm you need to be at your station at 4 pm. Not heading to it. Our preferred method is to stake a claim indoors at the closest spot to sit to the door we need to go out to find our station. 5 minutes of, we head out. All the announcements I ever hear is : in 15 minutes the muster drill will begin. Please proceed to your muster station. Not once is there anything about waiting until horns sound.

If the announcements said that, I'd agree w/you. All the announcements I've heard have said "When the drill starts, proceed to your station." That's different than "Be at your station when the drill starts."

I do wish Royal did their musters like Celebrity (inside). That being said, we go to our muster station at the time indicated on the daily paper, get checked off & stand in line waiting for those that come when the horn blares.

Some RC ships have all of their muster stations "inside". All RC ships have SOME muster stations inside.

I found Princess' instructions on "how to jump off a cruise ship" bewildering and bemusing and just plain odd.

;)

Even though I always arrive a little early (to everything in life, not just muster), I agree that it should be you leave your cabin when the alarm sounds, for a few reasons: (1) that would be a more realistic simulation of the herd of people heading to muster in an emergency, (2) in a real emergency, you don't necessarily get the advance warnings, and (3) the wording of the announcements in no way indicates you should BE at muster when the alarm sounds, nor is there any indication of this in pre-boarding paperwork. If that is the rule, for something mandatory it should be much clearer. How are the first-time cruisers supposed to know what this unspoken, unwritten protocol is? :rolleyes: But regardless, on my last two cruises, I have noticed crew acting impatient with people who show up "late" because they waited for the alarm to sound, and even start marking people absent who eventually arrived within 1-2 minutes of the alarm.

Edited by emory2001

If the announcements said that, I'd agree w/you. All the announcements I've heard have said "When the drill starts, proceed to your station." That's different than "Be at your station when the drill starts."

Even though I always arrive a little early (to everything in life, not just muster), I agree that it should be you leave your cabin when the alarm sounds, for a few reasons: (1) that would be a more realistic simulation of the herd of people heading to muster in an emergency, (2) in a real emergency, you don't necessarily get the advance warnings, and (3) the wording of the announcements in no way indicates you should BE at muster when the alarm sounds, nor is there any indication of this in pre-boarding paperwork. If that is the rule, for something mandatory it should be much clearer. How are the first-time cruisers supposed to know what this unspoken, unwritten protocol is? :rolleyes: But regardless, on my last two cruises, I have noticed crew acting impatient with people who show up "late" because they waited for the alarm to sound, and even start marking people absent who eventually arrived within 1-2 minutes of the alarm.

Except you can't predict where you will be when/if it goes off. And sorry but I'd rather take my sweet @ss time twenty minutes before muster learning the closest landmark. I dunno, I was a first time cruiser once and it seemed logical to be on station at the scheduled time. It never even crossed my. Ind that I should be waiting until the horn blew