What to do in Portland, ME and Halifax, NS

awestover89

. i would love to bring an italian from Amatos back on board to sit on my balcony that evening... :O

unless one is from ME, they will have NO idea what this is. :D Grew up in the Portland area myself (mother/aunt/uncle etc etc still live there) and that is the first place I go when I make a trip home. My mom just rolls her eyes when I say that is what I want for supper. :p Of course I would never take a cruise up there, I would rather just hop a plane and visit. I guess growing up there, going home and playing tourist doesn't appeal to me much.

We are going to be on the Anthem in Canada/New England next month and don't have anything planned for either Portland or Halifax. Are there any hidden gems or must see/do activities in either port?

We're going to be hiking in Acadia at Bar Harbor and doing a self-guided tour of the reversing rapids/Bay of Fundy in Saint John, but all I could think of for Halifax was the Citadel, and not sure at all for Portland. Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Hope I'm not too late but I recently wrote a review on my visit to halifax.

Here is a link for you which should give you some ideas...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

20842902048_a61c53f498_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed your reviews.

We were hoping to visit Peggy's Cove and still have time to tour the city during our Norwegian Dawn cruise in two weeks. Doesn't seem like we will have enough time to visit all of the neat places you have described, AND visit one (or two) brewpubs in town--my most important Places of Interest. :D

Thomas

Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed your reviews.

We were hoping to visit Peggy's Cove and still have time to tour the city during our Norwegian Dawn cruise in two weeks. Doesn't seem like we will have enough time to visit all of the neat places you have described, AND visit one (or two) brewpubs in town--my most important Places of Interest. :D

Thomas

Hi Thomas.

On the link I gave there is another link for a previous visit when we did go to Peggy's Cove. Here it s...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/17/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia/

9737967491_5d60a49a11_z.jpg

I have read that there are taxis at the dock willing to take you to various places. And yes local busses do go there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863077

Here is the bus website but I think you are better off just asking as the people in the post above did: http://www.halifax.ca/transit/Schedules/documents/routemap.pdf

Hi Thomas.

On the link I gave there is another link for a previous visit when we did go to Peggy's Cove. Here it s...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/17/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia/

HI SR,

Yes, I did see your other link, it was posted in the original link! I looked at, and enjoyed, them both! Thanks.

Now my question is, how much time will we have back in the city and what/how should we prioritize the city sights (realizing this is a subjective decision)? If we get our rental car by 9:00am, any thoughts on how much time we would need to explore Peggy's Cove--I can't imagine more than 45-60 minutes, not including travel time--and/or when we can reasonably expect to get back to the city?

Appreciate your input.

Thomas

As a Haligonian (yes that is what we are called) I would recommend 1-2 hours on the boardwalk starting right off the pier plus a walk up Spring Garden Rd. to the Public Gardens. Along the way you will pass the new central library which made the CNN list of top 10 new buildings in the world 2 years ago. Getting to and from Peggy's Cove will take most of your morning (I am one who considers it a tad overrated) but you should be back in the city by lunch. Depending on your interests, the fortress on the Citadel may be worth a climb if you have time. There are 2 museums along the boardwalk, Pier 21 (the Immigration Museum) and the Maritime Museum with Titanic and Halifax Explosion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion) exhibits. All the above with the obvious exception of Peggy's Cove is within walking distance, the furthest being the Public Gardens about a 15-20 minute walk at the most.

Just noticed your previous reference to brewpubs. There is one almost across from where you disembark before you hit the boardwalk. http://www.garrisonbrewing.com/

:D It is a weakness of mine! I have a list of 6 breweries/brewpubs in the area (Gahan, Garrison, Good Robot, Rock Bottom, Propeller, and Alexander Keiths) and that doesn't even include regular bars and restaurants! I could make this the entire day's tour but not sure I could get back to the ship.

Thanks for your take on how to see the city. Definitely have our work cut out for us.

Thomas

How do you book the mailboat?

I don't see that you can buy tickets online. Just show up at the ferry pier before 10am and buy your ticket ($16). Its never really that crowded. Go to CascoBayLines.com and look under "cruises and tours" for the "mailboat run" tab.

I looked at the Maine Foodie tour for a previous thread (not having gone on it myself), and I don't really think it worth the money. It really doesn't highlight the fine restaurants that Portland is known for. Unfortunately, on a cruise port call, you can't experience some of Portland's finer restaurants due to departure times. But Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room is a star for lunch or dinner, and one of Harding Lee Smith's family of "Room" restaurants. JMHO.

The mailboat run on Casco Bay Lines takes about 2.5-3.5 hours (it depends on cargo volume), and departs next to the cruise terminal at 10am. It travels to 5 islands, and delivers the mail, groceries, and general supplies to the islanders. The Captain gives a presentation about the island while the crew discharge the cargo. $16/person.

Take the mailboat, and be back in time for lunch at Boone's or a lobster roll from Portland Lobster right on the waterfront while you explore the Old Port area.

The mailboat sounds really interesting. Can you tell us where we can get to it? There are a lot of docks there, is it marked? I guess we could ask the people in the terminal. How much time would it take two old people to walk there?? LOL!!

OOPS I see above info, thanks!

Edited by torpeedo

The mailboat sounds really interesting. Can you tell us where we can get to it? There are a lot of docks there, is it marked? I guess we could ask the people in the terminal. How much time would it take two old people to walk there?? LOL!!

OOPS I see above info, thanks!

Depending on where your ship docks, from the Ocean Gateway pier, it is 1/2 mile. Out the terminal, turn left, walk down Thames St/Commercial St., look for "Maine State Pier" and "Casco Bay Ferry" signs. Nice, relatively new promenade the whole way. From the Maine State Pier, it is the other side of the pier.

Depending on where your ship docks, from the Ocean Gateway pier, it is 1/2 mile. Out the terminal, turn left, walk down Thames St/Commercial St., look for "Maine State Pier" and "Casco Bay Ferry" signs. Nice, relatively new promenade the whole way. From the Maine State Pier, it is the other side of the pier.

Thank you for the directions. I think I know where you are talking about. We've been on many NE cruises and love Portland! So much to see and the people are so welcoming,

One of the best reviews/memories of Halifax Even the locals can learn something here.

:D It is a weakness of mine! I have a list of 6 breweries/brewpubs in the area (Gahan, Garrison, Good Robot, Rock Bottom, Propeller, and Alexander Keiths) and that doesn't even include regular bars and restaurants! I could make this the entire day's tour but not sure I could get back to the ship.

Thanks for the brewery list. Any suggestions for Portland, ME or St. John in this category?

Thanks for the brewery list. Any suggestions for Portland, ME or St. John in this category?

There are about a dozen craft breweries in Portland. Probably the best brew pub is The Great Lost Bear, where they will have over 60 local craft brews on tap. The King's Head on the waterfront is another with great food and a good selection of craft brews.

I haven't found as much for St. John. So far just two: Big Tide Brewing and St. John Ale House. Churchill's Bar & Pub as well, put didn't seem to have a very big selection. Probably just as good there aren't too many. I wouldn't be able to see any other sites.

Enjoy your trip.

Thomas

I live some what near the Fisherman's Net (Grill) and the food is really great but no way if I was on a cruise would I go there. We get it for take out and go home and enjoy it. I would want to be near the water and the views of the Portland waterfront which are so beautiful and right where you will be docking. So many great restaurants a walk from where the ship docks. We go to Great Lost Bear and again great for different beers and food but if I was in Portland for the day I would enjoy the Old Port and the waterfront.

Since you are a local, I thought I would ask....what are your top places in downtown Portland to eat? Also, similar question but what are your top lobster places to eat in downtown Portland?

I go to Portland and stay in S. Portland several times a year. I love it and am even considering moving there. We end up eating in the same places....J's (always good), Beckys (btw the lobster on my last trip there was incredible and the breakfast was not...I was shocked), occasionally Portland Lobster Co (not a fav), Fishermans Grill, Marcys Diner, S Portland Marriott (has GREAT lobster rolls and lobster dinners), and my very favorite of all is Hot Suppa....omg....Hot Suppa's breakfast alone could make me move there.

BTW, the best lobster/lobster rolls I have had in Maine has been either Erica's (Harpswell), Estee's (Harpswell) or Red's (Wiscassett).

Since you are a local, I thought I would ask....what are your top places in downtown Portland to eat? Also, similar question but what are your top lobster places to eat in downtown Portland?

I go to Portland and stay in S. Portland several times a year. I love it and am even considering moving there. We end up eating in the same places....J's (always good), Beckys (btw the lobster on my last trip there was incredible and the breakfast was not...I was shocked), occasionally Portland Lobster Co (not a fav), Fishermans Grill, Marcys Diner, S Portland Marriott (has GREAT lobster rolls and lobster dinners), and my very favorite of all is Hot Suppa....omg....Hot Suppa's breakfast alone could make me move there.

BTW, the best lobster/lobster rolls I have had in Maine has been either Erica's (Harpswell), Estee's (Harpswell) or Red's (Wiscassett).

Not portlandpete, but another local.

My top Portland fine dining restaurants are; The Grill Room, Front Room, Corner Room, Fore Street, and Street & Co.

More informal fare: The Kings Head, Nosh, Duckfat, Bull Feeney's (though disappointed they dropped the deep fried lobster), Slab Pizza.

Lobster place: Boone's Fish House (since it was taken over by Harding Lee Smith of the Grill Room), and Becky's

Some newer places I haven't tried yet, but get excellent reviews: Scales, Eventide Oyster

If you like German food, there is a small BYOB place, Schulte & Herr, serving the best schnitzel I've had. Nothing on the menu has failed to delight.

Best lobster rolls are at our camp! :D

Edited by chengkp75

• 5 weeks later...
I don't see that you can buy tickets online. Just show up at the ferry pier before 10am and buy your ticket ($16). Its never really that crowded. Go to CascoBayLines.com and look under "cruises and tours" for the "mailboat run" tab.

There's a ticket kiosk in the waiting room, opposite the ticket window. Much faster and usually no line. Buy a ticket to Cliff Island. It's cheaper than the "tourist" rate... someone said the Mailboat Run costs $16. Right now (this time of year) a ticket to Cliff Island (just stay on the boat for the return trip) is only $11.25. The only thing you won't get is a placemat map. Seriously. Print a map of Casco Bay before you go... or strike up a conversation with a local. I talk to tourists all the time. Makes my boat ride go by faster and it's fun. I'll be on that boat tomorrow morning... if there's a ship in I'll be looking for cruisers. :)

PS tourists and cruisers tend to line up at the gate to board the boat. You don't need to. Locals just stand around and all move toward the gate when they call for boarding. There's plenty of room to sit up top. The locals tend to sit down below.

• 2 months later...

Am I correct in assuming that this is all done by walking from where the ship stops? (if that's a dumb question, please excuse me..)