Traveling with Birth Certificate

AmandaK32

The raised seal is the important part - we saw someone almost denied boarding due to a "funky" birth. certificate.

Make some copies to stuff in your luggage, we even have extra copies of our passports with us at all times.

It's very common for birth certificates to use something other than a raised seal to identify it as an authentic document for example, specially watermarked paper. Also, DHS regulations don't even require an"original" document. A legible photocopy is acceptable, and some cruise lines such as Carnival specifically state in their FAQs that you can use a photocopy. That having been said, it's preferable to carry an "original" in order to eliminate any uncertainty about the acceptability of a document, and cruise lines can impose more stringent requirements than the minimum mandated by regulations.

This one has always puzzled me, so perhaps fellow cruisers can enlighten me............ US travellers on cruises using birth certificates instead of passports. I know you can, on closed loop cruises, but why not get a passport? If you're spending $000s on the cruise why not splash out the extra $140 and get a passport which will do you for 10 years ......14 bucks a year. Why the reluctance?

This one has always puzzled me, so perhaps fellow cruisers can enlighten me............ US travellers on cruises using birth certificates instead of passports. I know you can, on closed loop cruises, but why not get a passport? If you're spending $000s on the cruise why not splash out the extra $140 and get a passport which will do you for 10 years ......14 bucks a year. Why the reluctance?

I can only speak for myself of course but first and foremost I have traveled on a birth certificate because I could, and I also don't like spending money on things that I don't need. When DW and I started cruising it would have cost us $800-900 for passports for the 7 of us. I did the research and we decided that we would wait to get passports until the day came when we could travel internationally by air, because at that time the only international travel we could do was on closed loop cruises. That day came last year when we flew to Germany for vacation, so now we have passports.

I had wanted to get passports back in January, but my advice went unheeded by my wife, as well as we were in the final stages of paying off a significant home repair loan. (Giving us the first opportunity to HAVE a vacation in four years.) Since then, we've been putting our efforts into paying off this vacation and with time running out, decided that this time we would forgo the passports.

The raised seal is the important part - we saw someone almost denied boarding due to a "funky" birth. certificate.

This one keeps me up at night. I have no worries about the wife's BC (being a copy issued after we were married and I had time to track such things down), but there is no longer a detectable pressed seal on my early 60s issued one by my touch. I've never had any agency so much as blink at it before as it is clearly from the right agency and "age", but I worry that this might be "that time." :eek:

Edited by Buckimion

I had wanted to get passports back in January, but my advice went unheeded by my wife, as well as we were in the final stages of paying off a significant home repair loan. (Giving us the first opportunity to HAVE a vacation in four years.) Since then, we've been putting our efforts into paying off this vacation and with time running out, decided that this time we would forgo the passports.

This one keeps me up at night. I have no worries about the wife's BC (being a copy issued after we were married and I had time to track such things down), but there is no longer a detectable pressed seal on my early 60s issued one by my touch. I've never had any agency so much as blink at it before as it is clearly from the right agency and "age", but I worry that this might be "that time." :eek:

You could always obtain a new copy from the state vital statistics department.

....because they may not have plans to travel out of the country in the near future where it would be a requirement. A BC is sufficient for cruising and a passport doesn't benefit you used in that capacity. It may only be $140 but what if you are talking about a family of 5, then it starts to become a financial issue for many.

While the OP's ship has almost sailed, I would recommend anyone traveling with a birth certificate obtain a new copy and use it and file away the older.

I ordered 3 certs for KID, 1# in the safe deposit box, #2 in the file cabinet as a spare, #3 as a working copy to get his passport, for school enrollment, etc.

While the OP's ship has almost sailed, I would recommend anyone traveling with a birth certificate obtain a new copy and use it and file away the older.

I ordered 3 certs for KID, 1# in the safe deposit box, #2 in the file cabinet as a spare, #3 as a working copy to get his passport, for school enrollment, etc.

And when you do order a new one make sure you order the one with the parents' names listed so later when it's time to apply for a passport you won't need to order them again.

KID needs a passport for school? Where is this school located?

Hi! I am going on my friend cruise in September and I am using my birth certificate. I have my original birth certificate with the raised seal but it's older. [emoji4] Do I need to get an updated one before we travel or is the original ok to use?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should have time to get a "replacement" newfresh

birth certificate

On this subject does anyone here remember a few years ago when the San Juan harbor master forced Carnival and Royal to sail 3 hours early due to a hurricane changing course. Carnival put the missed passengers up in a hotel for two days and then offered to fly those with passports to the next island to catch the ship (Royal was not so generous). Those without passports were flown back to Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On this subject does anyone here remember a few years ago when the San Juan harbor master forced Carnival and Royal to sail 3 hours early due to a hurricane changing course. Carnival put the missed passengers up in a hotel for two days and then offered to fly those with passports to the next island to catch the ship (Royal was not so generous). Those without passports were flown back to Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That makes a stronger case for arriving at the port a day early, because those without passports that arrived the day before boarded with everyone else.

In our case, our cruise is a very generous gift from my dad-- we wouldn't be going otherwise because we have a lot of other expenses. There are 4 of us, and two are kids whose passports would expire before they graduated from high school if we purchased them. I keep going back and forth between purchasing the passports and just using birth certificates.

Here's the article from here on Cruise Critic "Do I Need A Passport"

<<What's the downside of cruising without a passport? If an emergency arises, only an official passport will allow you to fly home from a foreign port. But what will actually happen if -- due to an unexpected injury or illness, or a mechanical failure on the part of your cruise ship -- you end up stranded in another country with only your birth certificate and photo ID? The answer is you can return home -- it will just take more time and effort to get the proper documentation to do so.

Essentially, you will need to obtain a temporary passport for reentry into the United States -- even if you opt for a ferry instead of a flight. Although only valid for a short period of time, temporary passports are available for those who need to travel quickly but don't have time to wait for a standard passport, for which expedited shipping is not available outside the U.S. It typically takes only a few days for limited validity passports to process after you apply at the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

In cases where a ship forces disembarkation in a foreign port, the cruise line will work directly with the international immigration department to assist passengers with passport processing and whatever means of transportation they need to take home.

Scrambling for a temporary passport can create mounds of paperwork and plenty of headaches, and the time it takes to process is never guaranteed. Isolated incidents have left passengers stranded for longer than anticipated, and -- unless you can see the glass half full -- it's not a pleasant scene.>>

In our case, our cruise is a very generous gift from my dad-- we wouldn't be going otherwise because we have a lot of other expenses. There are 4 of us, and two are kids whose passports would expire before they graduated from high school if we purchased them. I keep going back and forth between purchasing the passports and just using birth certificates.

Try one of each and see which one works out better in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also be cruising with my birth certificate this time around. My passport expires this month. I am getting married in 3 weeks and our cruise leaves 3 days later. Since I am changing my last name I did not want to spend $140 to renew the passport then have to turn around and spend more money a couple of months later to get one with my new last name. There is a risk but it's low so I'm taking my chances.

I will also be cruising with my birth certificate this time around. My passport expires this month. I am getting married in 3 weeks and our cruise leaves 3 days later. Since I am changing my last name I did not want to spend $140 to renew the passport then have to turn around and spend more money a couple of months later to get one with my new last name. There is a risk but it's low so I'm taking my chances.

Actually there's no charge to get the passport changed to your married name if you do it in less than one year from the date the passport was issued.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html

Name Changes

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new passport. The process and cost depend on how long it has been since your passport was issued.

If less than one year has passed since your passport was issued:

You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.

Submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your original or certified name change document (no photocopies or notarized copies), and a color passport photo. You may:

Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-5504; or

Print Form DS-5504 and complete by hand.

Edited by njhorseman

There is also no need to change your name. Many women are keeping their maiden names for professional reasons and in many countries it is not the custom to do so.

Actually there's no charge to get the passport changed to your married name if you do it in less than one year from the date the passport was issued.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html

Name Changes

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new passport. The process and cost depend on how long it has been since your passport was issued.

If less than one year has passed since your passport was issued:

You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.

Submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your original or certified name change document (no photocopies or notarized copies), and a color passport photo. You may:

Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-5504; or

Print Form DS-5504 and complete by hand.

Ugh! I wish I would have looked in to this closer. I just expected a fee of some kind. Little to late now with 3 weeks till we cruise and a wedding to get threw first. Thank you for the information anyway!