Tour of vatican on morning of cruise embarkment

Sandi07054

If seeing the Vatican museums (the only way you can see the Sistine Chapel) is important to you, do it.

There are options, you can purchase an entry ticket without a tour starting at 9 AM. On your own you could get to the Sistine Chapel and back to the entrance/exit in two to three hours.

You could also purchase a guided tour with the museum staff but the morning tours sell out first so you'd need to be on-line making your reservation the day they become available (two months prior). The on-line ticket office for the Vatican Museums is here: https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?weblang=en&do

More expensive options are available from private guide services authorized to operate at the museums. A few of these companies offer pre-opening times when you can see the museums and the Chapel before they are open to the public. These tours are expensive (more than $100 per person) but it's a unique experience and the only way you can see the Chapel without wall to wall visitors. Here's an example of one: https://darkrome.com/vatican-tours/vatican-breakfast-tour

The New York Times discussed this in an article a few years ago here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/travel/midnight-at-the-museum-breakfast-at-the-vatican.html?_r=0

Edited by euro cruiser

I checked dark tours and they do have early morning tours but they said I still have to wait in security line. Do you know how long it approx takes to get thru security in December. Maybe I shouldn't bother to book

Thx

I checked dark tours and they do have early morning tours but they said I still have to wait in security line. Do you know how long it approx takes to get thru security in December. Maybe I shouldn't bother to book

Thx

In December? Just a few minutes, especially if you have an early tour.

The long lines you see at the Vatican museums are for ticket purchases AND security.

Those with tickets, including tours, go through a different entrance with only a security check.

The tour operators tell you about the security check to try and wake up the chuckleheads who think they can show up at the appointed hour and waltz right in. While the folks who show up at the minute of their tour only hold the group up by five or ten minutes, that is time that everyone else paid for and it puts the tour operator in an uncomfortable position. Do they go ahead with the folks who showed up as requested, allowing a few extra minutes for the security check, or do they wait for the chuckleheads?

Edited by euro cruiser

Gotcha

I called cruise line and boarding is at 3 pm and they said it's an hour and a half ride to the port

A couple of practical questions. How are you planning to get from Rome to the port, and where do you intend to store your luggage while at the Vatican? Remember time to port is 90 min but you will also need some time for manuveruvering at either end depending on how you are doing the transfer.

There are a few ways you can mitigate holdups for your morning.

Pre purchase your tickets to the Vatican on line. This way you avoid the long queues and yo buy them at the cheapest price. Give a guided tour a miss. Get a good guide book and go through the Vatican at your own pace. We had a guided tour which had a long preamble about the Sistine Chapel and many times down the long corridors we couldn't see or hear what he was saying anyway. You may miss part of the history and background but you are going to be in awesome overload by the time you reach the Sistine Chapel such that it becomes almost an anti-climax.

I assume you are going to travel down to Civitivecchia by train. Check out the timetables of the train on line and again prepurchase your ticket on line. Depending where your hotel is you may be able to pick up the train at one of the stations en route thus saving more time. Arriving in Civitivecchia outside the station will be a bus to the port cost 2 Euros and at the port gates a free shuttle to take you to your ship.

In short be prepared for the earliest start possible at the Vatican. Travelling around Rome over distance is probably quickest by subway. Allow around 2 hours for the Vatican and another 30 minutes if you want a quick flick around ST Peters and you can be on your to the port no later than 12.30 which should give you heaps of time

We all travel differently, but I think you would have a fine amount of time to see the Vatican on the morning before you leave. All the details make it sound more exhausting than it really is. There is no real need to rush to the port, as long as you arrive to board within the guidelines of your particular cruise line.

How are you getting to Civitavecchia? If you have a private transfer, you really have no worries.

As others have said, if you pre-purchase a tour through the Vatican or another company, you won't have a long wait online. And EVEN IF you just buy an individual ticket for entry, you STILL won't have a long line. The long line now is primarily people who just show up with no pre-reserved tour or ticket.

Almost every hotel I've ever stayed in will hold your luggage after checkout, at least for that day. Make sure you lock any cases with valuables.

Edited by cruisemom42

Gotcha

I called cruise line and boarding is at 3 pm and they said it's an hour and a half ride to the port

If you board your train or get into the private limo between 12 and 12:30, you will have plenty of time to get to the ship.

For the Vatican, you can book an "Early Entrance and Breakfast" ticket for 7 am, with or without a guided tour. You can spend a (fairly) leisurely three hours in the museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's and get back to your hotel by 11 am the latest.

https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceLivelloVisita=34&step=1

Reservations can be made 60 days in advance of your visit. Again, in December it is a lot easier to do with much smaller crowds.

Thank you so much for the advice,

I just checked the breakfast and yes that is definitely something I can do

I originally was going to stay at Hotel Della Concilizione by the Vaticcan. Then my friend recommended I stay closer to Forum and Pantheon since there are more sites to see in walking distance. And only thing by Hotel Della Concilizione is the Vatican

So now if I do the breakfast maybe I should keep my original plan to stay in area of vstican.

My daughter thinks I am making too much out of this short stay before the cruise!

Any thoughts here?

Your daughter is right. You are making this too complicated. Stay by the Pantheon. Take a taxi to the Vatican around 6:40 (you are having breakfast there). At that time of the morning it is only a ten minute ride. (Half an hour if you walk - 2 miles.) By the time you get out, it will be a 15-20 minute ride back to the hotel. You can do all of this in the time you have.

Edited by marazul

My daughter thinks I am making too much out of this short stay before the cruise!
I can imagine certain kids in my family saying the same thing. I have to remind myself that at their age, time seems to be an unlimited resource (and money as well, given that I'm paying for their trip!). They have spent their lives traveling with the benefit of my research and preparation and, if I've done it well, it looks to them as though it just magically comes together on the spot. They don't appreciate how much work goes into making something look easy.

I can imagine certain kids in my family saying the same thing. I have to remind myself that at their age, time seems to be an unlimited resource (and money as well, given that I'm paying for their trip!). They have spent their lives traveling with the benefit of my research and preparation and, if I've done it well, it looks to them as though it just magically comes together on the spot. They don't appreciate how much work goes into making something look easy.

Truer words were never spoken!

I've learned through the years that highly detailed advance planning makes for an easy and seamless day (in most cases). Doing only casual planning for DIY results in a lot of time wasted once 'on the ground' trying to figure things out.

• 1 year later...

You are so right!! I'm the one doing all the work!!! Lol

and Cruisemom

Yep, yep and Yep. I could not agree with y'all more. Thank you for posting this and all the replies. It has helped me immensely.

Has anyone done the breakfast? How is it?

If you board your train or get into the private limo between 12 and 12:30, you will have plenty of time to get to the ship.

For the Vatican, you can book an "Early Entrance and Breakfast" ticket for 7 am, with or without a guided tour. You can spend a (fairly) leisurely three hours in the museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's and get back to your hotel by 11 am the latest. I am also interested in doing this, but the Vatican breakfast "tour" (I would do without a guide) early access, doesn't say anything about getting into St Peter's which I would like to do. I would have to wait in a line correct? I will be there on Oct 24.

https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceLivelloVisita=34&step=1

Reservations can be made 60 days in advance of your visit. Again, in December it is a lot easier to do with much smaller crowds.

My question, see above in red.