Majesty of the Seas - General Questions

BNBR

So it's been, I don't know, 15 years since I've been on Majesty. It used to be the great little ship for quick Bahamas trips. Appears not much has changed, though it's been refreshed, of course.

With my wife now staying home with the kids, we are thinking of doing more spontaneous cruising. We live in South Florida and I have plenty of freedom with my business to do as we please and travel more. We do go to Norway/Denmark a couple times per year, but prefer some more low key, local options and cruises are perfect. Majesty seems to be a great option for cheap, 4 day type cruises.

That said, would the regular ocean view or inside staterooms be able to handle 2 adults and 2 young children? Pullman/bunk style beds are not an option, the little ones are too small. 2 and 3 1/2 years old.

We normally do suites and higher end options, but with going more often, I don't mind jumping down to the regular rooms - I'm low maintenance so I don't care, especially with the kids. I'm just hoping it can accommodate us.

How is the family programs? Adventure Ocean, etc.? Evening babysitting in room? Do they have an under 3 room (with extra charge) like Oasis?

Basically, we don't mind dropping them off for a bit and curious how the facilities are for this.

Overall, how is the ship for the short trips?

And lastly, last minute deals - never actually looked into these. Urban myth or true? Could we get a cruise for a huge discount booking a week or whatever in advance? Though considering rates are $200 already, how much of a discount could you expect!

Other ships (non-Royal is fine) that you guys may recommend? I don't mind spending extra, but if you can get deals, why not? I'm open to some suggestions from the more seasoned folks.

Appreciate any general insight.

Living in south Florida you probably want to look at the Enchantment as she sails out of Miami and Majesty is out of PC.

The days of last minute deals at the pier or a few days before are gone. Look at about a month out in the off season and book when you find a price you are comfortable with. About $250 to $300 pp seems to be the new low point.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I agree with Ken, Enchantment would be preferable to us.

However, if you do end up choosing Majesty, I strongly suggest booking a JS. They all have sofa beds, and the extra room you will want. The inside and regular OV staterooms are tiny.

Silly me. Yes, Enchantment of the Seas. I also see Empress. We don't mind driving a couple hours though if the price is right. When I was looking, I selected all 4 Florida ports and didn't catch the obvious :)

Regardless, appreciate any insight.

Enchantment would be a bigger, better option I imagine? Looking closer, I see some decent pricing on the larger ships for shorter cruises as well. Thinking that may be the better option. Would the standard staterooms on the larger ships be able to handle our family? For example, I noticed Oasis has a sofa bed (both our boys could sleep on that just fine) in the regular room.

Looking at pictures, it seems we would be better off going with the larger ship, regular room, than to upgrade to a junior suite on a smaller ship. Does that seem to make sense?

Edited by BNBR

Majesty has the absolute SMALLEST cabins! An OV is 120 sq. ft....most walk-in closest are only a tad smaller! Inside cabins are 114 sq. ft......

Hubby and I had a Superior OV at 155 sq.ft...just the 2 of us...it was pretty tight. One of us had to sit on the bed when the other was walking around.

I have to agree, unless you ONLY use the cabin for sleeping, it would be a miserable time with 4 bodies of ANY size in those cabins!

Edited by cb at sea

Majesty has the absolute SMALLEST cabins! An OV is 120 sq. ft....most walk-in closest are only a tad smaller! Inside cabins are 114 sq. ft......

Hubby and I had a Superior OV at 155 sq.ft...just the 2 of us...it was pretty tight. One of us had to sit on the bed when the other was walking around.

I have to agree, unless you ONLY use the cabin for sleeping, it would be a miserable time with 4 bodies of ANY size in those cabins!

Agree. It seems that's a no-go for us. Which is fine and the purpose of this thread. Try and figure out the best game plan. For instance, I wouldn't care about paying $100/ea extra for a newer/larger ship with a better cabin. I see independence has some inside cabins in March for only $362/ea.

Any comments on the last minute booking/deals?

Edited by BNBR

If you are looking for 3-4-5 day getaways, then Oasis, Allure and Harmony are out. They are 7 day ships.

Indy is a nice choice, but I think for 4 people you still need at least the larger balcony cabin with the sofa bed. On Enchantment I would think the same. Majesty - definitely the JS.

Royal has made a big thing about no more last minute discounting. But there are still deals on the shorter cruises that pop up. Sometimes as a Florida resident rate or something. There are web sites you can use to monitor and send you alerts on specific sail dates.

Agree. It seems that's a no-go for us. Which is fine and the purpose of this thread. Try and figure out the best game plan. For instance, I wouldn't care about paying $100/ea extra for a newer/larger ship with a better cabin. I see independence has some inside cabins in March for only $362/ea.

Any comments on the last minute booking/deals?

If you don't mind driving make sure that you keep your eye on the cruises sailing from Tampa. Brilliance and Rhapsody for the winter season. A lot of reasonable sailings.

if you do book MJ, book an OV on deck 9, they are larger

I looked that the OVs on decks 8 and 9 and did not see a one with a sofabed. That's why I mentioned a JS, because the OVs and insides down low are very small.

Lots of great info, thanks!

Seems as long as there is a sofa, then we should have a sofa bed? Which is more than fine for the 2 boys. I'd probably skip Majesty or Empress anyways, being that the larger/newer ships are pretty darn cheap. Since I'd have to go up to suite class on the empress, I'd be spending way too much for that boat, and it would be cheaper to just go on Enchantment, Navigator, or Independence.

If Royal doesn't offer last minute type deals, would any of you have insight on competitors that do? I've always liked Royal, but I'm not brand loyal in the slightest.

Another question. I noticed when I add my 2 kids to the booking, the price per person goes up. That seems completely asinine as you are putting more people in the same stateroom. I could "maybe" understand same price, but to go up? Is that a normal thing and all lines do it? To be specific, it's not on EVERY sailing, but I noticed it on one. I just tried Enchantment, and it's a pretty sweet deal for the 4 of us, in a large ocean view stateroom - just $300/ea for a 4 night cruise with 3 ports. That might be the sweet spot right there :)

Edited by BNBR

Lots of great info, thanks!

Seems as long as there is a sofa, then we should have a sofa bed? Which is more than fine for the 2 boys. I'd probably skip Majesty or Empress anyways, being that the larger/newer ships are pretty darn cheap. Since I'd have to go up to suite class on the empress, I'd be spending way too much for that boat, and it would be cheaper to just go on Enchantment, Navigator, or Independence.

If Royal doesn't offer last minute type deals, would any of you have insight on competitors that do? I've always liked Royal, but I'm not brand loyal in the slightest.

Another question. I noticed when I add my 2 kids to the booking, the price per person goes up. That seems completely asinine as you are putting more people in the same stateroom. I could "maybe" understand same price, but to go up? Is that a normal thing and all lines do it?

No, not all sofas are actually sofabeds. You have to look at the deckplans on the website and read the legend. If there is no symbol inside the cabin, there is neither a pullman bed nor a sofabed. If there is a "t" in the cabin, it's a sofabed.

No, not all sofas are actually sofabeds. You have to look at the deckplans on the website and read the legend. If there is no symbol inside the cabin, there is neither a pullman bed nor a sofabed. If there is a "t" in the cabin, it's a sofabed.

Good to know. It can never be THAT easy, huh? :)

I've noticed rooms that I would expect should sleep 4, disappear on a few. I'm guessing that's why. I'm not putting the boys on a pullman, so sleeper sofa or enough space for pack n play is required.

Seems we'll probably give Carnival a shot. I'm not a big fan, but Royal seems to have a few deal breakers.

1. Carnival takes kids 2 - 5 in the same group for Camp Carnival. So both of my boys can be together, and I believe, without extra charges.

2. It seems most (if not all?) their rooms have a pull out couch, which is perfect for the boys to sleep.

3. About half the price of Royal, with some pretty amazing deals. Just looked up Carnival Victory and can get a high deck panorama balcony suite on a 4 day cruise for $251/ea. Can't beat that.

I think we'll still do a once a year Royal trip, Allure or Oasis, but for the smaller jaunts, seems Carnival might be right for us.

Edited by BNBR

Seems we'll probably give Carnival a shot. I'm not a big fan, but Royal seems to have a few deal breakers.

1. Carnival takes kids 2 - 5 in the same group for Camp Carnival. So both of my boys can be together, and I believe, without extra charges.

2. It seems most (if not all?) their rooms have a pull out couch, which is perfect for the boys to sleep.

3. About half the price of Royal, with some pretty amazing deals. Just looked up Carnival Victory and can get a high deck panorama balcony suite on a 4 day cruise for $251/ea. Can't beat that.

I think we'll still do a once a year Royal trip, Allure or Oasis, but for the smaller jaunts, seems Carnival might be right for us.

Enjoy! :)

Indy is a nice choice, but I think for 4 people you still need at least the larger balcony cabin with the sofa bed. On Enchantment I would think the same. Majesty - definitely the JS.

I don't necessarily agree with this. My three dd's (21, 17, 16 at the time) and I had an inside room on Indy and did just fine. That being said, we did have pullmans. I do believe some insides have the sofa instead. There is also the option of family inside or family promenade on Indy...LOVE that ship!

I can't comment first hand on the kids clubs, etc as mine are too old for that but I did hear from many in our large groups that the options were plentiful for littles.

• 1 month later...
So it's been, I don't know, 15 years since I've been on Majesty. It used to be the great little ship for quick Bahamas trips. Appears not much has changed, though it's been refreshed, of course.

With my wife now staying home with the kids, we are thinking of doing more spontaneous cruising. We live in South Florida and I have plenty of freedom with my business to do as we please and travel more. We do go to Norway/Denmark a couple times per year, but prefer some more low key, local options and cruises are perfect. Majesty seems to be a great option for cheap, 4 day type cruises.

That said, would the regular ocean view or inside staterooms be able to handle 2 adults and 2 young children? Pullman/bunk style beds are not an option, the little ones are too small. 2 and 3 1/2 years old.

We normally do suites and higher end options, but with going more often, I don't mind jumping down to the regular rooms - I'm low maintenance so I don't care, especially with the kids. I'm just hoping it can accommodate us.

How is the family programs? Adventure Ocean, etc.? Evening babysitting in room? Do they have an under 3 room (with extra charge) like Oasis?

Basically, we don't mind dropping them off for a bit and curious how the facilities are for this.

Overall, how is the ship for the short trips?

And lastly, last minute deals - never actually looked into these. Urban myth or true? Could we get a cruise for a huge discount booking a week or whatever in advance? Though considering rates are $200 already, how much of a discount could you expect!

Other ships (non-Royal is fine) that you guys may recommend? I don't mind spending extra, but if you can get deals, why not? I'm open to some suggestions from the more seasoned folks.

Appreciate any general insight.

I am going on this cruise this Friday with my 4.5 year old son so I'll be able to report back about most of your questions on this ship.....until then:

I do know from past cruises though (no matter what cruise line), they will not bring down the pullman beds for the children until they're 6 years old, for liability reasons.

Also I have seen that the best rates are booking way in advance. But everyone is different. My dad will book cruises about a month beforehand and be fine paying the going rate.

Depending on the room you pick on Carnival, not all have couches. It's been a long time since being in an Oceanview on Carnival (so I don't know if they have couches), but I know the interior rooms do not have couches but they have way more space than RCCL so you can easily make a bed on the floor for your boys. The balcony rooms do have couches though which is where my son sleeps when we have this type of room.

The room size for OV on MJ are very small as compared to most other ships in the RCCL fleet. I have kids, much older now, we took them everywhere with us back in the day. No way would I have considered taking them with us on MJ as the rooms are just too small.

JS or better would be suggested.