RC Visa

I'm thinking of using my RC Visa as my corporate card for company purchases and travel.

Is there an annual limit where they stop giving you points or a time frame that you have to use your points by?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm thinking of using my RC Visa as my corporate card for company purchases and travel.

Is there an annual limit where they stop giving you points or a time frame that you have to use your points by?

No annual limit. Points expire 5 years after you earn them.

No annual limit. Points expire 5 years after you earn them.

[emoji4]

In theory, I can accumulate points over the next 5 years and then use them for a free cruise (or two) as long as I use the points to book the free cruise in the next 5 years.

Next, I have to calculate how much I have to spend on my Visa to get two balcony cabins.

[emoji849]

[emoji4]

In theory, I can accumulate points over the next 5 years and then use them for a free cruise (or two) as long as I use the points to book the free cruise in the next 5 years.

Next, I have to calculate how much I have to spend on my Visa to get two balcony cabins.

[emoji849]

Just so you know, it is MUCH more difficult to get a good deal using the RC Visa points than it used to be. It is a confusing maze of rules relating to what things can be combined - Visa reward points with sales, balcony discounts etc. Pretty much nothing can be combined.

I am remembering that we couldn't use them with the "sale" price - which we all know is not really a sale. So they used the "full price" - and then applied the reward (it might have been free companion fare). In your case - when you are looking for a free cruise - and they give a maximum value of the cruise you are taking - you have to look at the non-sale prices to see if your cruise is under the maximum. It is all in the fine print for each reward that you want to use.

[emoji4]

[emoji849]...

Just so you know how it works.

You book your cruise first, then redeem the points to get a credit. Your "free" cruise has a max value based on real price and will be credited against the non fake-sale price (read extremely inflated, unrealistic price), so in other words, don't be surprised if the "free" cruise costs quite a bit extra.

Many of us just take OBC or straight discount, because the "free" cruise is a joke since they implemented the never-ending fake sales.

Edited by clarea

It's a bit confusing.

So I we have a plan to go on a cruise in about 5 years.

I have a company that spends a decent amount every year.

I got the RC Visa for the free $100 OBC on my last cruise (came in handy).

My thinking is that by charging my every day business expenses that I can redeem for a free cruise in 5 years.

What's not clear is am I just booking the cruise and redeeming for credits to use on board (means I'm still paying for my cruise), or am I redeeming credits against the price at the time of booking to ultimately bring the price down to $0?

How many points to pay

... What's not clear is am I just booking the cruise and redeeming for credits to use on board (means I'm still paying for my cruise), or am I redeeming credits against the price at the time of booking to ultimately bring the price down to $0?

How many points to pay

You can do either.

However, if you are redeeming for OBC or straight discount, you're getting 1% back on the money you spend that is not a Royal Caribbean purchase. There are other "points" cards that do much better than that. Even our Capital One card gives back 1.5%, no limit.

If you are redeeming for a "free" cruise, you can theoretically get back 2% on your non-Royal purchases, but as I mentioned above, it is exceedingly difficult to get 2% back, because they will artificially raise the price of your cruise without raising the redeemable limit. Basically, they found a way to screw the Visa card holders in what I consider a sneaky way.

We only use the card for Royal Caribbean purchases now, where we can at the very least get back 2% on our purchases.

AND there is a max value for your free cruise of I believe $2500 for 125,000 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.

That's what I was referring to when I said they do not raise the redemption limit when they make you pay the non-fake sale price. That's the part that seems totally unfailr to me. If they are going to inflate the price of the cruise by removing BOGOHO, then they should also inflate the redemption limit to be fair.

That's what I was referring to when I said they do not raise the redemption limit when they make you pay the non-fake sale price. That's the part that seems totally unfailr to me. If they are going to inflate the price of the cruise by removing BOGOHO, then they should also inflate the redemption limit to be fair.

I agree-

you'd be a lot better off getting a cash back card that pays more than 1%. American Express Blue Cash comes to mind.

6% groceries up to $6000

3% on gas no limit

1% on everything else

$150 bonus with $1000 charged first 3 months will offset 2 years of the $75 annual fee

points don't expire

Earlier this year I thought I could use 125,000 points for a free cruise for two - rules make it nearly impossible. First RC uses rack rate as the basis, so a typical 7 day cruise can (not be used on Oasis class or Anthem class) cost much more than the allotted $2500 for points. This eliminates booking a balcony, and as stated before there are no discounts or perks when using points. Our booking on Adventure (D2) was over a $1,000 less when booking without points plus some nice perks. I used the points for the $1250 credit and overall came out about $500 less than a points purchase.

The rest of our points I converted to OBC, which we probably will not use up, which will be applied as a credit to my card. Almost every other card offers better returns now that we are aware of RCL points conversion and will stop using it!

Hal

... now that we are aware of RCL points conversion and will stop using it!

Hal

We feel the same way, it's just bean counter change to make short term results better at the expense of long term results.

Was considering a post about how good the benefits on the RC Visa are... answer that. Worthless.

We get 2% on our Capital One, cash. Seems clearly like the way to go.

Which Capital One gives 2%, ours only gives 1.5%?

Which Capital One gives 2%, ours only gives 1.5%?

Spark Cash. Has a yearly fee, so you just need to see if your spending offsets that. It's only $59. We put obscene amounts on the card so it's a no brainer.

Edited by BNBR

I use both my Capital One Venture card and Chase Sapphire Preferred card and just use the points to just pay off the charge for the cruise. They are both significantly better cards than the RC Visa.

I agree. We use Capital One Venture, 2% on everything. It does have a yearly fee, $59 I think. First year fee was waived but we put everything on that card, and pay the balance monthly. You have to calculate if your spending outweighs the fee. Very easy to redeem points. Love it!

Earlier this year I thought I could use 125,000 points for a free cruise for two - rules make it nearly impossible. First RC uses rack rate as the basis, so a typical 7 day cruise can (not be used on Oasis class or Anthem class) cost much more than the allotted $2500 for points. This eliminates booking a balcony, and as stated before there are no discounts or perks when using points. Our booking on Adventure (D2) was over a $1,000 less when booking without points plus some nice perks. I used the points for the $1250 credit and overall came out about $500 less than a points purchase.

The rest of our points I converted to OBC, which we probably will not use up, which will be applied as a credit to my card. Almost every other card offers better returns now that we are aware of RCL points conversion and will stop using it!

Hal

It was never intended to be used for a balcony. 125,000 points was an OV

I decided to get the RCL credit card after receiving their offer of 10,000 points after making first transaction on this card. I did so end of May and the points still aren't showing.

I read this re: their offer:

Bonus Points are credited to your account approximately 6-8 weeks after you qualify

Called Bankofamerica and points have not been put on yet. It is just over 8 weeks.

Has anyone else had a delay in getting their points?

Thanks

Just so you know how it works.

You book your cruise first, then redeem the points to get a credit. Your "free" cruise has a max value based on real price and will be credited against the non fake-sale price (read extremely inflated, unrealistic price), so in other words, don't be surprised if the "free" cruise costs quite a bit extra.

Many of us just take OBC or straight discount, because the "free" cruise is a joke since they implemented the never-ending fake sales.

This is a 100% accurate description of RCI's pricing.