Cash Tipping on Board MSC?

TheSoccerCoach

I've read this also, but I can't find it confirmed in writing anywhere and it contradicts what I was told by two separate bartenders :(. I've also read the policy discouraging tipping in cash, but not one of the staff I encountered on both of my MSC cruises refused and it wasn't like I was hiding the tip. Can you link me to confirmation anywhere in writing that states the staff isn't stiffed by pre-purchasing the vouchers and/or that the staff get a set amount per voucher? Thanks :)

No, I can't point you to any link that says that. Just what I was told by the bar staff at the main pool on the Divina last spring in discussion. I was also told this by a server at the aft pool on a sea day when I tried to add cash and was told they are paid for every voucher they redeem.

No, I can't point you to any link that says that. Just what I was told by the bar staff at the main pool on the Divina last spring in discussion. I was also told this by a server at the aft pool on a sea day when I tried to add cash and was told they are paid for every voucher they redeem.

Typical MSC :(. So much conflicting information is out thee for this line. I really believe it has to do with language barriers. I believe you were told by bar staff tips are included, but I was told they weren't (and ironically, one was at the aft pool and I believe you and I sailed reasonably close to one another, so it may have even been the same bartender).

Hopefully one day they will publish the actual policy so I can pre-buy the vouchers with no guilt :).

Hopefully one day they will publish the actual policy so I can pre-buy the vouchers with no guilt :).

You should feel no guilt purchasing something at the advertised price and using it.

To me it is no different than other lines that offer discounts for pre-purchasing some amenities; they are willing to charge slightly less to get money before you ever set sail.

Hi PirateKing

Strangely enough, I'm a rum drinker too. If you purchase a bottle on the ship, they'll take it away and deliver it to you on your last night. No need to do that though, just ask for a large run to be sent to your room, you can have these delivered as often as you like. They serve bacardi, a dark rum and havana club 7 i think. Also no need to tip beforehand, with the exception of one butler - who frankly we just didn't hit it off with, we've had WONDERFUL service. Back again in YC on the Divina in 4 weeks and I can't wait. :):)

if you need any other info, I'll do my best to help

What do you define as a "large" run(m)? They will basically do a bottle service?

You should feel no guilt purchasing something at the advertised price and using it.

To me it is no different than other lines that offer discounts for pre-purchasing some amenities; they are willing to charge slightly less to get money before you ever set sail.

I hear you, it's a personal thing. I put myself through college serving drinks. If I thought that "MSC really was charging us slightly less JUST to get money before we sail" and not stiffing the bartenders, I'd be fine pre-purchasing.

But until I see it in writing, I'm choosing to believe the two bartenders I spoke with who indicated they did not receive tips on pre-paid vouchers. The reason I'm believing that the bartenders are stiffed (rather than MSC taking the hit) is purely financially driven.

Just my 2 cents but...

I'm sure "some" staff tell customers that they don't get certain tips just so they get a cash tip. Remember they are there to make as much money as possible while they are onboard.

I'm also sure they would pick certain nationalities who are more likely to tip extra than not.

There are mini bottles of rum, gin, and scotch in the mini fridge in the Yacht Club cabins. Just tell your butler to give you X #s of rum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had mini Vodka, Gin and Scotch for all Yacht Club cruises.

gary