How many same-sex couples in the "Newlywed, Not So Newlywed" game?

Daghis

I would LOVE to be there cheering for you and DH.

A FUNNY story. I did not have cable for years. I would go to my mom's every Thursday to watch Project Runway on her cable. Well, I guess I was there early and she had on Game Show Network. The Newlywed Game came on. And they introduced one of the couples, which were 2 guys. I was surprised and said, "hey mom, look... Before I could finish she told me "welcome to 2009", or whatever year it was.

I think NCL needs to get with the program and be more inclusive. If anybody has a problem with it they need to move to a private island.

why would you say NCL needs to get with it or think the lack of same sex couples being chosen has to do with how it will be perceived? Did you read the poster's comment about the last 2 cruises they were on did have same sex married couple on the newly/not so newly wed game?

How would you know? I cruise with my sister. I just see people. Not even pairs.

Well I have 2 good eyes, so that's a start..

The vast majority of "couples" I see on cruises are man+woman. Sure, sisters travel together, brothers, etc.. but my point was the MAJORITY of "couples" I've observed have been man+woman. So one would expect that the MAJORITY of couples on the newlywed game would be man+woman. :D

As a same-sex couple, we have been sad that we have never seen a same-sex couple get selected. We have noticed the CD will sometimes not give the same-sex couple even a chance at being selected and just ignores them altogether.

Congrats on your 25 years together! My husband and I are about to celebrate 10 years together with 3 years being legally married.

Congrats on both of your unions and yes, one time on the Jade, saw a same sex....female couple. Same questions and it was just another couple playing the game. They were the Newlyweds. The "Oldlyweds" won the game.

The audience votes for the couples to participate, at least on the games I have been to. The funnier the better and everyone was very funny.

Since same sex marriage is still very new I'll bet the ratio of same sex MARRIED couples to different sex MARRIED couples on board is far below the ratio of gay to straight people. That will change as time goes on.

You have to be married to play, so it probably was very rare to have married gay couples prior to a few years ago.

We've been married legally for over 13 years (and together 10 more years before that), and would probably win the game - but have no interest in playing.

Exactly. So no need to ever ask the question again or for anyone to concern themselves about this issue.

I may be misinterpreting your response, but you seem to have misinterpreted mine too. Mine was very specifically addressing a question, yours suggests I was generalizing.

Btw I was discriminated against as well

I had to be legally married in order to get my spouses medical benefits because we were opposite sex

Same sex domestic partners didn't need to...nor did they need any partnership papers but they got the benefits anyway

It is not discrimination if you have a legal right to something which same-sex couples did not. You could be legally married, they could not. In many states "partnership" papers were not available. I work in employee benefits and dealt with this all the time. The benefits world is much easier now that the playing field is more level.

I don't care who I was married to, there is no way in hell I would get on that game show. Why? Totally humiliatingly embarrassingly ridiculous. But....then that is just my opinion............!

My husband and I have practiced the most off the wall answers in case we ever get picked.....:D

why would you say NCL needs to get with it or think the lack of same sex couples being chosen has to do with how it will be perceived? Did you read the poster's comment about the last 2 cruises they were on did have same sex married couple on the newly/not so newly wed game?

Nita, I also read posters who might have liked to have participated but felt they were not being considered. I also read one CD made insensitive comments. The comments of not including s-s couples seems to outnumber those to the contrary. Maybe I did not express myself correctly. Sorry. I know everyone cannot be chosen and some will always feel left out regardless.

It matters, if same-gender couples are being excluded. That's why.

Turns out they aren't. So no worries.

Just because someone is not randomly chosen does not mean they are being excluded at all let alone for any specific reason. That is the point. Far too often in our society when something does not go the way someone wishes it would, the assumed reason is that it is because of some difference they have or some assumed discrimination that usually only exists in their minds. Hey as long as someone is happy in life and is lucky enough to find someone they enjoy spending the rest of their life with, then by all means go for it. More power to them.

Just because someone is not randomly chosen does not mean they are being excluded at all let alone for any specific reason. That is the point. Far too often in our society when something does not go the way someone wishes it would, the assumed reason is that it is because of some difference they have or some assumed discrimination that usually only exists in their minds. Hey as long as someone is happy in life and is lucky enough to find someone they enjoy spending the rest of their life with, then by all means go for it. More power to them.

Random is when it happens on one trip on one ship. Totally understandable.

Somebody asked why it mattered....it matters because if the answers had been 'on all ships, on all weeks, it has never happened', that would have suggested a potential problem.

But they didn't say that. The question was asked, and answered, and we can all move on now.

Well said

Who cares if same sex couples are accepted or not? There are SO many people, like myself, who don't care if you are opposite sex or same sex. Become involved in everything a cruise ship offers (one cruise I was a newlywed and was automatically chosen for the Hairy Man Contest and they put my brother in law as a contestant instead of my husband and I was blind folded and didn't know it was him). Maybe once they see that same sex couples are an important source of revenue for them they will become more open minded. Who cares????? Love is love-doesn't matter the gender!

Political correctness has no place on a cruise ship and hopefully not here on cc as well. We already have too much of that crap in our daily life.

If treating every guest fairly and equally is "politically correct", I'm all for it.

He substituted "jock strap size" for the question. I would have gotten it right (I knew his size) except my husband got confused about which of us was hypothetically buying it for the other, so he was trying to guess my size and answered the question wrong.

I cannot believe no one here touched on the humor in this, seeing as how you were on a cruise ship:

It's not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean! ;)

We've been married legally for over 13 years (and together 10 more years before that), and would probably win the game - but have no interest in playing.

Oh, you got me. I try to avoid the "it's the same everywhere as it is here" attitude but nevertheless projected the idea that all the couples would be US citizens. I'm shocked at myself. :)

This thread has become political and we are deleting many posts . Therefore we are closing this thread. if you wish to continue a political discussion please go to floataway lounge board