How many same-sex couples in the "Newlywed, Not So Newlywed" game?

Daghis

We just got back yesterday from a wonderful 8-night sailing on Norwegian Escape. This cruise was to celebrate our 25th anniversary (although legally married for 13 years), and the officers and crew did a fantastic job of helping us do that.

Part of the excitement of the cruise was the "Newlywed, Not So Newlywed" game. My husband and I were extremely fortunate to be selected by the audience to be the middle couple. (The newlyweds were married just one week, and the "oldyweds" have been married for 62 years.) Tyler Gray did a fantastic job and made the game exciting and full of energy.

One of the things that he said during the game show was that he's never had a same-sex couple before, but I saw here on Cruise Critic where someone reported that he had a same-sex couple in the game on Norwegian Sky in late 2015, and then he had also said he'd never had a same-sex couple before. I'm guessing that it's just a line to make the game more exciting, which leads me to this question...

Does anyone have a sense for how many times same-sex couples have been included in the "Newlywed" game?

My thinking is that's probably not common, but it probably happens more than I had previously imagined.

We just got back yesterday from a wonderful 8-night sailing on Norwegian Escape. This cruise was to celebrate our 25th anniversary (although legally married for 13 years), and the officers and crew did a fantastic job of helping us do that.

Part of the excitement of the cruise was the "Newlywed, Not So Newlywed" game. My husband and I were extremely fortunate to be selected by the audience to be the middle couple. (The newlyweds were married just one week, and the "oldyweds" have been married for 62 years.) Tyler Gray did a fantastic job and made the game exciting and full of energy.

One of the things that he said during the game show was that he's never had a same-sex couple before, but I saw here on Cruise Critic where someone reported that he had a same-sex couple in the game on Norwegian Sky in late 2015, and then he had also said he'd never had a same-sex couple before. I'm guessing that it's just a line to make the game more exciting, which leads me to this question...

Does anyone have a sense for how many times same-sex couples have been included in the "Newlywed" game?

My thinking is that's probably not common, but it probably happens more than I had previously imagined.

to be honest, we have never seen a same sex couple on the show, on any cruise, but I am sure it has happened. Congrats on your anniversary: hope you had fun as contestants, We were the old couple on our last cruise; had a blast, even if hubby did embarrass himself and me with his answers a few times. I can assure you, a lot of people recognized us throughout the remainder of the cruise. One even have us a bottle of champagne.

As a same-sex couple, we have been sad that we have never seen a same-sex couple get selected. We have noticed the CD will sometimes not give the same-sex couple even a chance at being selected and just ignores them altogether.

Congrats on your 25 years together! My husband and I are about to celebrate 10 years together with 3 years being legally married.

Like the PPs, we have never seen a same sex couple either....of course, we rarely make it to the actual show, we only see it on the TV afterwards...but if they are now selecting couples maybe DH and I will make a bigger effort to try to participate. We celebrated our 25th and 1st last December so I guess we could be either the newly weds or the middle weds?;)

I've seen it on Celebrity.....and yes they won!!!!!!!

As a same-sex couple, we have been sad that we have never seen a same-sex couple get selected. We have noticed the CD will sometimes not give the same-sex couple even a chance at being selected and just ignores them altogether.

Congrats on your 25 years together! My husband and I are about to celebrate 10 years together with 3 years being legally married.

Many times the entertainment staff will put out three buckets. One for newlyweds, one for married 25 years or less, and one for married longer than that. People wanting to participate put their name and cabin number in the appropriate bucket. Selections were random.

Edited by NYcruzzer

Like the PPs, we have never seen a same sex couple either....of course, we rarely make it to the actual show, we only see it on the TV afterwards...but if they are now selecting couples maybe DH and I will make a bigger effort to try to participate. We celebrated our 25th and 1st last December so I guess we could be either the newly weds or the middle weds?;)

I would LOVE to be there cheering for you and DH.

A FUNNY story. I did not have cable for years. I would go to my mom's every Thursday to watch Project Runway on her cable. Well, I guess I was there early and she had on Game Show Network. The Newlywed Game came on. And they introduced one of the couples, which were 2 guys. I was surprised and said, "hey mom, look... Before I could finish she told me "welcome to 2009", or whatever year it was.

I think NCL needs to get with the program and be more inclusive. If anybody has a problem with it they need to move to a private island.

How did they handle who answered first?

The Cruise Director seemingly arbitrarily chose one of us to go with the wives into the back room while I answered the question with the other husbands. (In this case, my husband and the wives were all sitting on their husband's left, so there was some symmetry to it.)

How did they handle the inevitable shop-for-a-bra size question?

He substituted "jock strap size" for the question. I would have gotten it right (I knew his size) except my husband got confused about which of us was hypothetically buying it for the other, so he was trying to guess my size and answered the question wrong.

Who cares? Aren't we all supposed to be the same? What difference does it make if it is a couple of any given type?

It matters, if same-gender couples are being excluded. That's why.

Turns out they aren't. So no worries.

The Cruise Director seemingly arbitrarily chose one of us to go with the wives into the back room while I answered the question with the other husbands. (In this case, my husband and the wives were all sitting on their husband's left, so there was some symmetry to it.)

He substituted "jock strap size" for the question. I would have gotten it right (I knew his size) except my husband got confused about which of us was hypothetically buying it for the other, so he was trying to guess my size and answered the question wrong.

Makes sense. I figured those would be the answers. Bet it was a fun time!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

We had a same sex couple (also seated in the middle) on the getaway a couple of months ago and they were so wonderful. The CD was absolutely awful, so inappropriate that many people went up to the couple afterwards to apologize for his behavior and let them know we adored them.

The cd at first said 'are you kidding me' so I guess HE had never seen it before and throughout the show kept saying 'which one is the wife' very derogatory.

I do hope someone complained to a higher up, that cd needed an attitude adjustment!

It matters, if same-gender couples are being excluded. That's why.

Turns out they aren't. So no worries.

Exactly. So no need to ever ask the question again or for anyone to concern themselves about this issue.

Let's say 90% (at least, probably more) of the couples on a cruise ship are "straight" couples (i.e man + woman) wouldn't it stand to reason that the vast majority (90% or more) of couples on the Newlywed game would be straight couples???

Much ado about nothing..

Edited by bbryan5

Let's say 90% (at least, probably more) of the couples on a cruise ship are "straight" couples (i.e man + woman) wouldn't it stand to reason that the vast majority (90% or more) of couples on the Newlywed game would be straight couples???

Much ado about nothing..

How would you know? I cruise with my sister. I just see people. Not even pairs.

Much ado about nothing..

Since same sex marriage is still very new I'll bet the ratio of same sex MARRIED couples to different sex MARRIED couples on board is far below the ratio of gay to straight people. That will change as time goes on.

You have to be married to play, so it probably was very rare to have married gay couples prior to a few years ago.

Since same sex marriage is still very new I'll bet the ratio of same sex MARRIED couples to different sex MARRIED couples on board is far below the ratio of gay to straight people. That will change as time goes on.

You have to be married to play, so it probably was very rare to have married gay couples prior to a few years ago.

Legitimately asking: do they ask to see paperwork?

No, they didn't ask for any proof. It was all on the honor system.

I'll note that after the auditioning process was complete, the Cruise Director introduced each couple by asking who we were, how long we've been married, and how long we've been together.

No, they didn't ask for any proof. It was all on the honor system.

I'll note that after the auditioning process was complete, the Cruise Director introduced each couple by asking who we were, how long we've been married, and how long we've been together.

Thanks!