Can a stateroom be re-fared if the category is sold out?

seattleslew

I watch all my cruises for price drops (sales), etc., so how do I know if my TA can get me a lower price if the category is showing as "Sold Out"? Normally I'd make a dummy booking to compare, but am I missing something? I don't like to bug her because I get the feeling she's so busy all the time, but we cruise a lot and of course I want the best deal.

I watch all my cruises for price drops (sales), etc., so how do I know if my TA can get me a lower price if the category is showing as "Sold Out"? Normally I'd make a dummy booking to compare, but am I missing something? I don't like to bug her because I get the feeling she's so busy all the time, but we cruise a lot and of course I want the best deal.

I would say no.

I asked my travel agent the same question. She told me there was a wait list for my cabin and if I "re-fared" or canceled and re-booked, I would lose my cabin since it was sold out.

Here advice was don't do it.

It was a very lucrative promotion....too bad. The cruise was even a year out.

I was not able to re-fare in a sold out category. If it is before final payment, you can change categories to take advantage of the sale if you want.

On one cruise, I booked a window suite and all of them were sold out. Princess had a good sale which I could not take advantage of. Another couple on our rollcall moved from their window suite to a mini-suite because of the price difference with the sale, and they posted their move on our CC rollcall. As soon as I saw their post, I called Princess and was able to re-fare my window suite - because it was no longer sold out.

Call and ask!

I asked my TA about this 4 years ago and she said she was able to do it and it worked! I didn't think it would and had mentioned that the price went down and I hadn't noticed it. She then said she could do it. This was a few years ago and maybe it is no longer possible but I have done it before and saved some money.

Thanks, all responders. It's as I figured ... no dice until a cabin in the category opens up. Was just wondering if there was something I was missing. And by the way, I received my first Princess upsell offer today by email on another cruise via my TA, advising that it's first come, first served (and a warning not to wait too long to get back to them). I didn't take it: too much money.

I've done it on the phone with Princess rep. Wait list isn't automatic and doesn't "hold" cabins (this has been reported here and I've been able to book wait listed category online).

If you're willing to gamble it can work.

I've done it on the phone with Princess rep. Wait list isn't automatic and doesn't "hold" cabins (this has been reported here and I've been able to book wait listed category online).

If you're willing to gamble it can work.

This does not apply to a "sold out" category. If a category is marked "sold out", then no cabin will appear online.

I think you are referring to a category that some one is on a waitlist for and does not get notified when a cabin becomes available. Once a cabin is shown as being available, it is no longer "sold out" and a fare will be available.