New to Cunard - what are differences from P&O?

Traderboy

Hi

My wife and I have done 5 long cruises with P&O and 1 with Princess.

We are now booked on a half world cruise on the QM2.

What changes will we find other than the obvious one of charging in dollars and 15% tips?

What are the coffee options for example?

And wifi?

All contributions would be much appreciated.

I've only travelled once on P&O so I'm not in the best position to answer, hopefully this will help with your specific questions.

Details of wifi packages are here, although this wording is new -

We are currently updating the satellite internet service across our entire fleet. Due the nature of the changes being made to our satellite internet service, at present, we are unable to confirm which packages will be available on board during your holiday - this information will be available from your ship. What we can guarantee however, is that as a minimum, for $45 satellite internet credit, you will receive 120 minutes of satellite internet time

You will get some free wifi as you move up the loyalty tiers during your cruise -

Gold tier members of the Cunard World Club receive up to two hours complimentary internet time per voyage

Platinum members receive up to four hours complimentary internet time per voyage

Diamond members receive up to eight hours complimentary internet time per voyage

The coffee and other bar menus are here

Hopefully someone with better experience of both lines will be along soon to help more with the differences.

Thanks Hattie for these definitive pointers. I was unaware that the Cunard website included all these details.

The coffee club card seems very like the P& O one.

Is it correct that the QM2 now has kettles in all the cabins?

Another specific question regards the electric sockets - presumably of the American type? On P& O we all take an extension lead as there is a shortage of sockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On Queen Victoria recently and couldn't believe no tea and coffee facilities in the cabin. Pathetic I know but won't be going with Cunard again, reverting to P&O.

Yes I know there is room service and can order it in advance,but really, how absurd?

Even rubbish B&B's provide a kettle. Their reason? fire hazard.

Yes, QM2 now has kettles in the cabins, they are being added to the other ships.

Embarking on my first Cunard and was happy to read about the kettles but then wondered about the potability of the water. Are cabins provided with lots of bottled filtered water or is it safe out of the sink? Thanks for any info!

Embarking on my first Cunard and was happy to read about the kettles but then wondered about the potability of the water. Are cabins provided with lots of bottled filtered water or is it safe out of the sink? Thanks for any info!

The water from the sink is safe, but you will get a bottle of water in the cabin. Just be aware there is a charge for the bottled water.

I can't compare with P & O, but will tell you the QM2 is so much more of a ship than anything in the Princess fleet. I can't imagine you won't enjoy her, if you are any kind of a ship lover. She is magnificent.

The quality and speed of the internet depends both on the ship's location and what time of day you choose to connect. If you avoid the peak times of day, the internet speed should be adequate.

The tap water is certainly drinkable, but taste will be much better if you drink it cold. I understand the recent addition of tea kettles in the rooms will make a lot of passengers very happy.

There are differences in the delivery of services, comparing Cunard and Princess. Cunard doesn't win in every category (in all instances) over Princess, but it is still, decidedly, DH and my preference. We find the daytime speakers and evening entertainment superior on Cunard ships (although this is a refection of our taste and not a condemnation of what is offered on Princess ships).

Since you are experienced with cruise-life and longer voyages, I think you will have a splendid time on your 1/2 World Cruise. In our experience, we were credited with more than one voyage during longer Cunard cruises (segments of World Cruises), helping to build the status that brings benefits (e.g. invitations for complimentary wine tasting, more captain parties, and the internet time). Hopefully, this will be your experience as well.

Fortunately, Cunard ships operate more smoothly than their website. We have sailed over 100 days and never had any noteworthy problems. Again, I hope this will be your experience.

Have a wonderful voyage! Happy, happy sailing!

Poor and Ordinary is what I call P& O ( Humour)

If you are Britiish and like sailing with a ship full of Brits you will like P&O.

If you want more International passengers try Princcess, or more so Cunard.

Cunard is classier in every way. Food on a P & O is like school dinners compared to Cunard . I could write a book about the comparsion of both P&O and Cunard as there is a vast difference. In fact I did write a book about the two different lines to compare about two world cruises.

Whatever line you go for have a good time.

Edited by maggiemou

Fortunately, Cunard ships operate more smoothly than their website. We have sailed over 100 days and never had any noteworthy problems. Again, I hope this will be your experience.

This is one thing Cunard and P&O have in common - no doubt because of their shared corporate ancestory. Both websites are pretty poor. Thank goodness they don't run cruises like they do websites!

(Sorry this isn't a very helpful response, but I couldn't resist it!)

Shame that someone had to resort to slagging off P & O. We are British and we do like the atmosphere on P& 0 ships.

If you cannot say something positive I always think it is better to say nothing.

What do others think?

If you cannot say something positive I always think it is better to say nothing.

What do others think?

I think that you asked for the differences between the 2 lines, so that's how people are answering your question.

It's likely that those who post on the Cunard board are going to be Cunard fans who may have negative things to say about P&O if that has been their experience.

Edited by Host Hattie

Thanks Glendale

The coffee is worse than in a school canteen?

I can of course appreciate that Cunard is a 5-star cruise line and that P& 0 are 4-star.

To say that the food is like school dinners by comparison is I'd say somewhat ridiculous.

Thanks for your comments, Hattie. Your own contribution was useful and measured.

I'd really like lots more positive comments about Cunard without denigrating P & O.

What do others think?

This is one thing Cunard and P&O have in common - no doubt because of their shared corporate ancestory. Both websites are pretty poor. Thank goodness they don't run cruises like they do websites!

(Sorry this isn't a very helpful response, but I couldn't resist it!)

Firstly, sorry about the incorrect spelling of 'ancestry' I've just noticed in the above. Secondly, having done several cruises with both P&O and Cunard (and with other lines), I would say it's undoubtedly true P&O is more of a "British experience" - read into that what you will.

My wife and I prefer Cunard, because although we have had better food at times on P&O than on Cunard, what Cunard offers that P&O doesn't is the chance to have your own table immediately available whenever you want it, for all meals - ie as a Grills passenger. This is of great value to us but may be of little significance to others. However, we are not sure the extra cost, especially now the £ has dropped, is worthwhile.

Where P&O used to score was on having a kettle, but I understand QM2 now has them - which is good because we are about to spend 28 nights on her. I can't say levels of service are remarkably different between the two lines, but perhaps we're not very demanding. I know people get very excited about coffee, etc but we don't so again, I can't say there is any significant difference. I would expect anybody happy with P&O to be happy with Cunard, though.

Thank you for such a helpful reply, Teddy123.

We are really looking forward to our forthcoming cruise on QM2.

Having done over 150 nights on P& O I just wanted to know what to expect.

We too have enjoyed some fabulous meals on P&O and we also like the idea of freedom dining.

Thanks Glendale

The coffee is worse than in a school canteen?

I can of course appreciate that Cunard is a 5-star cruise line and that P& 0 are 4-star.

To say that the food is like school dinners by comparison is I'd say somewhat ridiculous.

Thanks for your comments, Hattie. Your own contribution was useful and measured.

I'd really like lots more positive comments about Cunard without denigrating P & O.

What do others think?

Actually I do agree with Maggie about the food, I have never felt the need to use alternative restaurants on Cunard but had to give up on the MDR after fairly poor food and service.

Obviously we only had 14 nights on one ship so we may very well have been unlucky.

Thank you for such a helpful reply, Teddy123.

We are really looking forward to our forthcoming cruise on QM2.

Having done over 150 nights on P& O I just wanted to know what to expect.

We too have enjoyed some fabulous meals on P&O and we also like the idea of freedom dining.

Just to be clear: we go for Freedom Dining on P&O but often prefer not to share a table (especially for breakfast) but we find if we want a table for 2 it's a case of queuing for 1/2 an hour - literally! - before the dining room opens (because P&O doesn’t have enough tables for 2 on any of its ships) or having a pager and waiting for a table to be free. So if dining starts at 18.00, it's queue at 17.30 or eat at 19.30. In Cunard Grills, the table is just there whenever we want because it's ours for the whole voyage and nobody else uses it. So real Freedom Dining, for which we pay a premium.

Of course, this won't matter to everyone, and indeed we have had people aghast when we told them because they, rightly, identified that it makes it very difficult to dine with anybody we meet anew onboard. So, this option - not available on P&O - is attractive and valuable to us but may be positively unattractive to others.

Hi Hattie

Thanks for this view about the food on the two cruise lines. It is based on your experience and is,of course, of interest.

How many Cunard cruises have you done and is the food comparable on all of the three ships?

We are looking forward to experiencing the remastered versions of Kings Court and the Carpathian ( ?) lounge.

Edited by Traderboy

Have you had a look at the information in the sticky at top of the board ?

There are lots of examples of daily programmes, photographs etc including some great before and after shots of QM2.

Edited by Host Hattie

I've done 6 cruises with princess, 1 (long cruise) with p&o and 2 cruise on the queen Victoria.

So the good news, I like all three lines. You can tell there is definite shared corporateness between the lines as many things are very similar (like the bathroom pods, other than the toiletries you'd have trouble remember which ship you are on when you stepped out of the shower!).

All gave good things going for them. I've had some amazing meals on all three lines plus a few bad ones; but nothing vacation running. The service is more formal on Cunard, relaxed on princess and variable on p&o. I personally prefer princess for the main dining room, as I like the bread rolls, service and freedom dining. However there isn't much to separate any of them.

Drinks are clearly better value on p&o. They are cheaper to start with and without adding 15% onto the price.

While princess is more American I feel, i always feel it's a fairly anglicised version an has the best international mix of passengers. P&o feels more British and Cunard is slap bang in the middle.

It depends on what you look for in a holiday. I found all the cabins, bed comfort and room stewards equally as good accross all lines. P&o has the edge for me as I like having a kettle but the Cunard and princess room service will bring you a pot of warmish brown liquid too fairly quickly.

Princess has a far more restrictive policy about brining drinks onboard; and the other two lines are more relaxed about it.

The Cunard ships have a better passenger : space ratio and feel less crowded when full. Although having said that other than on the ridiculously under-pooled newer princess ships I've never really felt crowded out during a cruise.

I was concerned that Cunard would be too formal for me; and that the passengers would be too snooty. I can say it's not the case. Cunard is mildly more formal overall, but not very different to p&o and princess is much more relaxed.

Personally I'd say any is a good choice and you'll probably notice more similarities than difference.

Edited by h3rjp

I was concerned that Cunard would be too formal for me; and that the passengers would be too snooty. I can say it's not the case. Cunard is mildly more formal overall, but not very different to p&o and princess is much more relaxed.

This does highlight one thing not so far mentioned, I think. For dinner on non-formal (or non 'black tie') nights, Cunard expect a jacket (for men, of course), although no tie, while P&O are much more informal. Again, this formality is attractive to some, like me, but unattractive to others. My main complaint is about lines that define a standard then make no attempt to enforce it, at whatever level it is.

Only done one cruise with P&O and whilst we did enjoy it we felt there was something 'lacking'. Did like the freedom of eating when we were hungry, not when the MDR is fixed as on Cunard if you are sailing in a Britannia stateroom but we have got used to it.

Much prefer a mix of nationalities. P&O is very British and we found a fair number of people's views of other cruise lines to be very jaundiced, eg 'wouldn't go on an American ship; they are horrible. Me in reply: Have you been on one? No, just told you, they are horrible'!!!!!

Entertainment is much better on Cunard and we felt the whole experience was just wonderful.

Thanks hrj3p, Hattie, babs135 and Teddy.

These are all very helpful replies.

On the non-formal dress attire I have to say this is the main reason for us to move away from P&O this time.

Last year on the Arcadia world cruise we were informed on embarkation that all the 'jacket required' evenings were to become 'informal'.

Having packed jackets and ordinary ties I now found that I did not need them. Some passengers did try to stick to the original dress code but they were seen to be the ones 'out-of-line'. Hardly P&O's best decision. Surely they should have waited and made sure that the new dress code was communicated properly before the people booked the cruise!

Edited by Traderboy