Best & Worst MDR Dishes?

Not sure how true this is but chicken marsala rumoured to originate from Scotland from immigrant chefs who had to make curries for a more delicate palate. Now a UK national dish.

Chicken Marsala is of Italian--specifically Sicilian--origin... It is made with sautéed chicken breasts, mushrooms, and a Marsala Wine-based pan sauce.

Chicken Tikka Masala (no "r") is a comparatively mild Indian-style curry.

My favorites are the prime rib, Duck, and lamb dishes, However, this dishes can be cooked Fantastic, GOOD and even bad, which is especially true for lobster and duck. If you get poor prepared one or not to your liking ask for another, it is amazing how fast the new dish will come out. I have found no deserts worth the calories, other than just plain vanilla ice scream with chocolate syrup, yes we seem to irritate the wait staff, some ask why.

I should mention the turkey and escargot is good, I liked it better with the scallops when there was a snail shortage. Also we are fish eaters and the fish can be iffy at best.

I can't believe no one has mentioned it, but the cream of garlic soup is my favorite. I practically live for the stuff and I have no shame about it. I usually go to the WJ before dinner and have a bowl there, then have 2 bowls at dinner :D.

There's an apple/chicken salad (kind of like a deconstructed Waldorf salad) that's good

royalcruise277_zps094152dd.jpg

And I do enjoy the Italian menu - 2 good dishes on that one

The Arincini balls are a solid starter

royalcruise304_zps2cf7fd98.jpg

And I like the Lasagna. It's not really what American's think of as lasagna - instead of cheese, it is served with a rich Béchamel sauce. So it's layers of pasta, beef, sauce and then a healthy serving of a buttery, cream sauce.

royalcruise308_zps4f2da12c.jpg

Edited by meatloafsfan

I agree, not Indian.

Not sure how true this is but chicken marsala rumoured to originate from Scotland from immigrant chefs who had to make curries for a more delicate palate. Now a UK national dish [emoji3]

The dish that you refer to is chicken tikka masala, which is a curry dish. Chicken Marsala is a dish made with Marsala wine.

I love the smoked fish app. w/ the crustini.:p

Yes! Couldn't remember the name of it till I saw your post. Seafood rillettes!!! Loved that one too!!! Thanks for reminding me! :D

Edited by tlatrice

Can anyone share any particularly memorable MDR dishes -- good or bad? I'm terrible at decision-making, so I'm checking out the menus in advance, and would love some insight into what I should try and what to avoid!

Cruising Allure of the Seas on 8/21, but would love to hear from those who've cruised other ships as well since the menus are the same.

Prime rib when done right can be among the best. When it is a grey piece of cold meat it can be the worst.

Daughter thinks the duck is the best thing ever.

Grandson is 22 and loves the escargot better than any he has had anywhere (orders 2, they always bring 3 and he eats all three). Swears by the duck and has 2 orders. I love the vidalia tart, which they discontinued, but I see has returned on the new menu. Also love the mushrooms in puff pastry. Chocolate sensation cake. Tiger Shrimp.

I liked the shrimp cocktail and Caesar salad. The bread is good, too.

I had the chicken breast once because nothing on the menu seemed good to me, and it is a plain chicken breast. No seasoning at all. I guess this is for people who cannot have seasonings. Otherwise, the chicken breast was OK, just bland.

Oh, those amazing garlic knots. My mouth is watering!

I am hungry now but disappointed that I may not like the Lobster Bisque. I do not like fish so if that is the taste/smell I probably won't even try it. Do any of the specialty restaurants serve it and if so is it good?

Rosemary Lamb Shank is my "best". I also like the Prime rib most of the time, the lobster most of the time, escargot, and the chilled fruit soups and savory bites.

The lasagna was the worst meal I had on the last RC cruise.

We are totally in love with the strawberry pavlovas! Our maitre d on Brilliance sent them to our suite every night once he learned how much we enjoyed them. It was a treat to go back to them before bed every night...for us better than the chocolate!

Love love love the escargot. Mmmmm now I'm dreaming of sopping up the garlic butter with some crusty bread! 121 DTG for me ;)

Oh, I'm right there with you! :D The pumpkin bread and savory bites go with it very well.

Garlic soup, Lobster bisque (yes, I like it), mushroom soup (haven't seen that in the last few cruises) and the chilled soups are my favorite apps.

Main courses would be the turkey, prime rib is hit and miss but usually pretty good.

Key Lime Pie is my favorite dessert alone with chocolate or strawberry ice cream.

Glad for the head's up on the lobster bisque. I love lobster bisque. :(

Give it a try- You may enjoy it. I did! Our waiter brought out at least one extra appetizer each night separate from what we ordered for us to try.