Best & Worst MDR Dishes?

Rosemary Lamb Shank is my "best". I also like the Prime rib most of the time, the lobster most of the time, escargot, and the chilled fruit soups and savory bites.

The lasagna was the worst meal I had on the last RC cruise.

Love the Savory Bites!! By far my favorite!

I had the Vidalia tart and could not understand all the fuss. I don't think i ate more than one bite.

There are two lamb dishes I've had on a Royal cruise, one is a drier, roasted shank, and the other is a braised shank (like a lamb version of osso buco). The latter is my favourite.

I'm also a huge fan of the savoury bites.

Looking forward to the new menu.

I am hungry now but disappointed that I may not like the Lobster Bisque. I do not like fish so if that is the taste/smell I probably won't even try it. Do any of the specialty restaurants serve it and if so is it good?

Lobster bisque is (should be) made with stock extracted from lobster shells. The best way I can describe what it's been like on my last 2 RCCL cruises is that it tastes like the shells were old - kind of ammonia-y and very, very strong smelling. I'm thinking it can't be a fluke; more of a recipe issue since it was so similar on two different ships a year apart. Very unpleasant and the waiter on ROTS discouraged me from ordering it.

On my recent Anthem cruise my favorite dishes were the Osso Buco served over the most amazing polenta (Grande) and the Turkey dinner in American Icon. I tried a dessert (or two) every night and the only one that was amazing were the key lime Popsicles in Wonderland. The worst was the red-velvet cheesecake (Grande) which was neither red velvet or cheesecake. I find Royal puts far to much emphasis on the look of a dessert at the cost of taste.

I also LOVE the savory bites and the chocolate sensation. The potato leek soup is also very good (usually served in the WJ the first day.). Also, Periodically the WJ will have Mongolian grill---yumm!

LOL - I'm sure I couldn't name one single, distinctive dish I've ever had in the WJ. It's all just so much miscellaneous buffet food to me.

... and the chilled soups (which I'd never had before I started cruising ...) ...

There is a good reason, "tiatrice," that you had "never had" "chilled soups" "before [you] started cruising." The reason is that they are NOT soups!

If you check a dictionary, you will find this (or a similar) correct definition for the word, "soup": "a liquid dish, typically made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables, etc., in stock or water." Usually, a genuine soup is (or should be) served hot -- but there are some exceptions, such as gazpacho and vichysoisse, etc.. Genuine soups, whether hot or cold, are savory, not sweet.

Obviously, however, there is no such thing as "Chilled Banana and Rum Soup." Why then can one find that blended concoction listed on an RCI menu as a "soup"? The cruise industry began to do this kind of thing, some years ago, to deceive passengers. You see, by using the word, "soup," to refer to what is really a thick beverage (even a sort of dessert), they were able boldly to list it among the "Starters." If they had referred to these sweet liquids as what they really are -- fruit purees or "smoothies" -- they could not have listed them side-by-side with genuine soups, such as Lobster Bisque and Chicken Consomme.

Cruise lines like to make these fruity liquids available early in a dinner, because (1) they are a way to get rid of cheap fruit that is about to spoil and (2) they are heavy/filling, giving the diner the illusion of feeling satisfied when (or before) the time the meal ends -- and, thus, less likely to ask for "seconds" or dessert. One of their goals is to make a meal as inexpensive to produce as possible, in an effort to maximize their profits.

Another way that the cruise lines (and land-based restaurants) try to make a diner feel artifically full is by having attractive breads/rolls on the table long before the first course is served. Those items soak up the water and other beverages that a diner drinks, thus taking up a lot of room in a formerly empty stomach. The lines have a right to try to get away with such tactics, but we have a right to outsmart them!

It's no big deal. The fruity liquids usually taste good (or even better than "good"), but they should NOT be called, "soups," because they fail to meet the definition of that word.

I also LOVE the savory bites and the chocolate sensation. The potato leek soup is also very good (usually served in the WJ the first day.). Also, Periodically the WJ will have Mongolian grill---yumm!

I love the savory bites too. It took a long time before I knew what everyone was referring to though -- for the uninitiated, savory bites are the small poppy seed rolls in the bread basket.

I love the savory bites too. It took a long time before I knew what everyone was referring to though -- for the uninitiated, savory bites are the small poppy seed rolls in the bread basket.

Thank you! I was wondering, but figured I would find out when we finally cruised.

Thank you! I was wondering, but figured I would find out when we finally cruised.

I had cruised Royal several times and eaten many savory bites before I knew what everyone was talking about. I thought "savory bite" was an appetizer that never seemed to show up on my MDR menu. :D

I love, love, love the roasted duck! Any beef meals are hit or miss.

I heard that they may be bringing back the Vidalia onion tart. If it's true, that would be at The top of my list.

Unfortunately we have not had the roast duck on any of our five cruises so far this year. It has been replaced with roast chicken, even though the menus in the concierge and diamond lounge still say roast duck ! On the Serenade right now, we will see if it appears tonight.

I liked everything.

Lobster Tail for sure, and I'm not a real big foodie so don't remember the rest, BUT I LIKED THEM!

Oh, Shrimp cocktail also - just ask for 2 since they are small. Never had any problems with our server bringing double appetizers, or double anything for that matters.

Agree with u !

I also like bake Alaska as desert [emoji4]

I've never had a bad MDR main meal to be honest. However, I was slightly disappointed with the scallops as a starter. Don't get me wrong, it tastes pleasant enough, but there's nothing to the dish whatsoever and you can through it in about 15 seconds.

Unfortunately we have not had the roast duck on any of our five cruises so far this year. It has been replaced with roast chicken, even though the menus in the concierge and diamond lounge still say roast duck ! On the Serenade right now, we will see if it appears tonight.

I have enjoyed the duck every time I have ordered it.

But some people just don't like duck. ;) :D

Good luck getting your duck, Penny!

As mentioned the lobster bisque is not good anymore. It used to be my favorite but you can't taste the cream and there are no lobster chunks in it. It doesn't have that decadent creamy thick fattening taste any more. It Now taste more like a thin canned soup with no flavor. The tiger shrimp and pastry dishes were delicious.

I remember we were feeling "snacky" one night on Enchantment and we stopped by the Windjammer just before they were closing. They had wings! we got some and demolished them in no time and were able to grab the last few just before they closed for the night. OMG, I have never had wings that good since, of course it could be that we were really hungry and had consumed a few adult beverages!!!:D

Love:... and the chilled soups (which I'd never had before I started cruising - now I look forward to them)

Agree. The last couple of Cruises we started trying the chilled soups and the ones we've had were really good. Something we've never had at home. At least on a Cruise we get to try different selections that we would never try at home. Some we call the fear factor challenge.

Edited by davekathy

At breakfast in the MDR, they have this awesome bread with little pieces of dried fruit baked in it. I've temporarily sworn off bread but on our upcoming Grandeur cruise in 6 days, I'm going to indulge and have a piece or two.

There is a good reason, "tiatrice," that you had "never had" "chilled soups" "before [you] started cruising." The reason is that they are NOT soups!

If you check a dictionary, you will find this (or a similar) correct definition for the word, "soup": "a liquid dish, typically made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables, etc., in stock or water." Usually, a genuine soup is (or should be) served hot -- but there are some exceptions, such as gazpacho and vichysoisse, etc.. Genuine soups, whether hot or cold, are savory, not sweet.

Obviously, however, there is no such thing as "Chilled Banana and Rum Soup." Why then can one find that blended concoction listed on an RCI menu as a "soup"? The cruise industry began to do this kind of thing, some years ago, to deceive passengers. You see, by using the word, "soup," to refer to what is really a thick beverage (even a sort of dessert), they were able boldly to list it among the "Starters." If they had referred to these sweet liquids as what they really are -- fruit purees or "smoothies" -- they could not have listed them side-by-side with genuine soups, such as Lobster Bisque and Chicken Consomme.

Cruise lines like to make these fruity liquids available early in a dinner, because (1) they are a way to get rid of cheap fruit that is about to spoil and (2) they are heavy/filling, giving the diner the illusion of feeling satisfied when (or before) the time the meal ends -- and, thus, less likely to ask for "seconds" or dessert. One of their goals is to make a meal as inexpensive to produce as possible, in an effort to maximize their profits.

Another way that the cruise lines (and land-based restaurants) try to make a diner feel artifically full is by having attractive breads/rolls on the table long before the first course is served. Those items soak up the water and other beverages that a diner drinks, thus taking up a lot of room in a formerly empty stomach. The lines have a right to try to get away with such tactics, but we have a right to outsmart them!

It's no big deal. The fruity liquids usually taste good (or even better than "good"), but they should NOT be called, "soups," because they fail to meet the definition of that word.

No soup for you... :rolleyes: