Concierge Hotel & Air Deviation Problems

BigWino

We are booked in a Concierge Suite E on Regent's November 16 TA. I encourage you to follow this link and review their advertising for the Concierge E for yourself:

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP161116/summary/default.aspx

The first "Highlight' is a pre-cruise hotel package for the night before the cruise and transportation to port the morning of the cruise. Regent is now refusing to give us this benefit because we paid for an air deviation.

Regent claims that nothing is actually included in their "all inclusive" fares. That I may purchase a pre cruise hotel for $400 a night and if I want transportation to port I need to connect with them at the airport, not at the hotel booked through the cruise line.

I'm exploring all options to escalate this at this point and would appreciate any suggestions. I'll file a complaint about the advertising with my and their state attorney general's office and the FTC. What else is likely to get their attention and get them to live up to their promises?

It goes without saying that feeling cheated is not the best feeling under which to embark on a very expensive vacation. If you are considering this line I would suggest caution as the booking process is far from fair or transparent.

Edited by BigWino

Hi Big Wino! Unfortunately someone should have told you that you lose transportation when you deviate. We deviate on almost all cruises and this is the case unless you arrive the night before the cruise and stay in the hotel that Regent assigns concierge and above passengers.

This can be confusing and I am not certain why you lost your night at the hotel (I'm presuming that this is for "our" upcoming cruise in November that begins in Rome). If you are arriving sooner than 1 night before the cruise, you would have to do your own transportation to the hotel and pay for your hotel (except for the night before the cruise).

Do you have a good TA (i.e. one that frequently books luxury cruises and has a contact at Regent)? They would be the best people to speak with. Alternatively, speak with a supervisor/manager at Regent. The way it sounds, you should be eligible for one night at a hotel (unless you opted out and received a credit for the hotel).

In terms is escalating it, IMO, it is not worth the effort. If you read all of the fine print, you'll learn that passengers do not have a leg to stand on. Their lawyers have covered everything while most of us tend to not read everything and learn if our decisions have an impact on the inclusivity of Regent. Regent's all-inclusive package for concierge and above assumes that the passenger arrives the day before embarkation. They pick you up, take you to your hotel and the next day will take you to the ship.

Hope that this is resolved to your satisfaction after speaking to Regent or your TA. BTW, we opted out of airfare on the return flights from Miami at the end of the cruise. We will take our own transportation to the airport but, most importantly for us, the amount of credit we received from Regent for opting out of half of the flights was enough to buy our two First Class tickets home.

We are willing to provide our own transportation to the concierge hotel. The problem is Regent will not give us one unless we pay them an additional $400. Even then, we would have to transport ourselves to the airport in the morning in order to get transportation to port.

I guess my only recourse is to shine a light on their practices by writing about them everywhere until I get someone to pay attention. Really a shame, we were really looking forward to this trip - if this is a reflection of what we have to look forward to it is quite disappointing.

I'm really sorry you're having such a frustrating experience, but I agree that you should speak with a Regent manager. On a Regent cruise last year, we deviated by spending two nights in Lisbon in addition to the "included" night. We were picked up at the airport when we arrived in Lisbon and transported to the hotel, then transported from the hotel to the port the day of the cruise. On our next cruise, we took the air deviation to spend a night at a hotel airport at the end of the cruise rather than book an early flight that we might not be able to make. We have included transportation from the port to the airport, though I doubt that Regent would transport us to a hotel somewhere other than the airport. Are you perhaps staying at a hotel other than one that Regent uses? I hope you find there has been a miscommunication. I really think you will find that Regent strives to make your experience an enjoyable one.

I agree that this doesn't sound right. Perhaps someone got confused about airport pick up when you deviate which, of course, is not included. The only time we were refused the perks was when we were upgraded to concierge...stands to reason as we didn't pay full price for the room.

We are booked in concierge for an upcoming trip, San Diego to Aukalnd, and opted out of Regent air. We still get the pre cruise hotel but have to make our way there on our own. Not a big deal.

I encourage you to take this up the chain of command or through your TA. Good luck. I know this leaves a sour taste in your mouth but you are in store for a wonderful cruise!

If you booked through a Travel Agent for your Trans Atlantic cruise (a TA for your TA, if you will), that would be my first call.

Bear in mind that there are two Regents: The Regent home office in Miami, which leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion, and the Regent on board, which is fantastic.

With very few exceptions, the only problems we've ever had with Regent are the home office and to a lesser extent, the website. On our last cruise, we had booked a 3-day pre-cruise package which got cancelled before we left because they only had two people sign up (us). Regent took it upon themselves to change our departure flight from July 9th to July 11th, which we didn't want to do. We still wanted to depart on the 9th and just stay in Barcelona instead of Madrid. They tried to tell us that we'd need to pay the air deviation since we wanted to fly out earlier; our contention was that we wanted to fly out on the same date we'd originally planned on. Bottom line: One call to our TA and everything got straightened out.

Please don't let this bit of pre-cruise BS sour you on your vacation. Once you get past the gang in Miami, Regent really is an excellent line. Keep after them and I'm hopeful you'll eventually get it straightened out.

Keep us posted.

The first "Highlight' is a pre-cruise hotel package for the night before the cruise and transportation to port the morning of the cruise. Regent is now refusing to give us this benefit because we paid for an air deviation.

We always get the air and hotel credit in lieu of using the Regent options. If they aren't providing the hotel, you should get a credit.

Regent claims that nothing is actually included in their "all inclusive" fares. That I may purchase a pre cruise hotel for $400 a night and if I want transportation to port I need to connect with them at the airport, not at the hotel booked through the cruise line.

Book your hotel on your own. It will almost always cost way less than booking it through Regent (which, like most cruise lines, quotes a "per person" rate at hotels. Really? when was the last time that you found a hotel rate which doubles for a second person?). If you are just flying in the day before to ensure you are there before sailing (always a good practice) book a hotel near the airport. There are trains which'll get you into the city if you have time and desire the day of arrival. Then a short cab trip to the airport which'll preclude a long cab ride to the port. Or check out private transfer options (a quick search found one for 120 Euros) which are frequently quite reasonable and you won't be on a bus.

I'm exploring all options to escalate this at this point and would appreciate any suggestions. I'll file a complaint about the advertising with my and their state attorney general's office and the FTC. What else is likely to get their attention and get them to live up to their promises?

It goes without saying that feeling cheated is not the best feeling under which to embark on a very expensive vacation. If you are considering this line I would suggest caution as the booking process is far from fair or transparent.

What you describe isn't atypical for cruise lines from top to bottom. Don't let it tarnish your cruise (which'll be great in our experience). Cruises, like airlines and all forms of travel must be thought of as games. If you play them well, you win (or at least do better than anyone who just takes it in stride).

Edited by Portolan

We always do our own air, hotel and transportation and take the credit. Most times you will save money doing this.

If you do take regents air but ask for a deviation, you will lose the transfer from the airport to the hotel, but you should not lose the 1 night in the hotel prior to the cruise and the transfer to the ship.

Not at all true - at least for Titanium. I had air deviation and didn't lose my transportation in either direction.

That is a Titanium only benefit:

FREE private transfers to and from your home to the ship (within a 50 mile radius)

Or FREE private transfers from the airport to the ship and the ship to the airport on embarkation and disembarkation day

FREE private transfers to and from your home to the ship (within a 50 mile radius)

Or FREE private transfers from the airport to the ship and the ship to the airport on embarkation and disembarkation day

So the non-Ti pax who book the more expensive suite for the transportation loose that bene if they go for an air deviation? Interesting.

Interesting as this is not listed as a benefit for Titanium (a level we hope to reach in 2018).

Still listed on the website for me:

https://www.rssc.com/seven-seas-society/members-benefits/

"FREE private transfers from the airport to the ship and the ship to the airport on embarkation and disembarkation day"

So the non-Ti pax who book the more expensive suite for the transportation loose that bene if they go for an air deviation? Interesting.

"Regent Suite" Amenities Beyond the Suite includes:

FREE Roundtrip Private Sedan Transfers between your Home, Airport and Ship

I only see this benefit listed for the Explorer - Regent Suite.

Interesting as this is not listed as a benefit for Titanium (a level we hope to reach in 2018).

My prior post was copied today directly from the RSSC benefits page online.

So yes, it is listed as a benefit.

When I spoke to regents, I wanted to add extra paid nt in Venice in addition to one "free" night, I was told it would be $589, so I asked if I booked the extra night using my Hilton points, and they said I would lose my TRANSPORTATION options, but if I booked and paid them the extra night I would get their transfers.

I also think it is deceiving that in their published brochure fare it says "Free air, transfers, FREE precruise 1 nt hotel" but it really isn't free as they just increase the cruise fare by over $3000 per person. Then if you deviate they charge you more money, or u lose those benefits (ie transfers) that you paid in the higher fare.

Cruise I am considering is 11,999 pp (inclusive) or $8600 w/0 air, hotel transfers Cocierge E

Thinking about doing 8600, as I want control over air choices, not sure yet if I can do bus air, hotel and transfers for the $6600 difference, as air choices are not out yet for sept 2017.

Jean

Jean, we always do our own air, hotel and transfers. We usually use airlines miles for the air portion, which obviously is a huge savings, but sometimes buy tickets ( and get more miles) if I can find a good deal. In a place like Venice, where hotels are relatively expensive, we use points for the hotel to. I think you should be able to easily do business class air, hotel and transfer for that amount, especially given that you have over a year to work on it, even without using miles and points.it will just take some research.

Hi Rachel G.

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree with you, although alot more work! But if I take the all inclusive for $6600 more and then I have to make an air deviation and spend more money only to lose my transfers, I would end up paying more and maybe getting LESS, ie maybe the airline is not the one I would want, maybe the room at the hotel is not the one with the view? Looking at the Hilton in Venice, they want to charge $569, probably a regular room but I can get a better room for $469. TA I have not much help, says transfer to hotel from airport is $290 /per person - I think that he is wrong, as when I took water taxi from airport to another hotel a few years back it was no where near that price. I think the TA may be more interested in doing the one phone call to regents and getting a bigger commission? Need to do more research on tripadvisor!

jean

I'm not Rachel but found your post very interesting! It sounds like you have a useless TA - hope you look into changing - at least for areas the "he" isn't familiar with such as Regent.

Included hotels and air is an interesting topic. If I still had tons of frequent flyer miler I suppose that I would do my own air. For us, we want Regent to take care of everything so if there is a problem, they will help deal with it for us (even though they are not contractually obligated to do so). As mentioned, we almost always deviate and are always in a concierge or above suite so the pre-cruise hotel is included. When you deviate, arrive at the embarkation port the day before the cruise begins and fly home the day of disembarkation, you still get both transportation and the hotel.

As you know, you can opt out of the hotel that Regent provides (at no cost if you are in a concierge or above suite), but then, again, you lose transportation. Regent is not going to pick you up from whatever hotel you are staying at and take you to the ship (or pick you up from the airport and take you to a hotel other than the one they are using).

It sounds as if the OP on this thread has a poor TA and has been given misinformation by Regent (or perhaps something else is going on that we don't know about).

On our next cruise (November), we opted out of the hotel, deviated one flight and booked the other on our own. So, we received a credit for the hotel and for one the one flight that we booked on our own. The hotel credit was $350. The amount we are paying for transportation from Rome to the port of Civitavecchia and for the hotel is less than the credit we received. Our hotel is 1 mile from the ship so that will be about 12 Euro to get there (a lot of money to go one mile but it is still worth it).

As you can see, there are many options - the easiest of which is to let Regent do it all for you. Keep in mind that for $175/person you do get air choices. In terms of Regent's hotel, they are good to very good and, most of the time I'm too tired to remember if I had a view or not. I tend to remember the breakfasts which are typically wonderful.

IMO, the worst case scenario in Venice is to pay the very high price for an extra night at Regent's hotel and use Regent's transportation. You can do so much better on your own.

thanks for all the information! I think that I will wait till sept, when airfare are out there to compare the INCLUDED regents price to the base cruise fare price. Then I will have a better idea. Yes, I do have tons of miles to use on hotel, and may be able to use miles to do the upgrade from premium economy to business, thus being less expensive. As far as transfers, need to look that up as well.

Anyone out there know how much it would cost for transportation from airport to HiltonMolino Stuckey and from hotel to cruise ship?

Jean

Wow...we certainly have not been on as many Regent cruises as others on this board, so my experience might be a bit limited, however for every cruise we have had we have deviated on the Air. Now, to add a bit of a qualifier for it, we have deviated mainly to either get to the destination a bit early PLUS the included pre day and/ or a pre package that was offered OR to deviate to stay a couple days extra beyond a post. All this time all transfers to and from were included and we had no issues. Yes, my TA, because of us and now 2 other couples does have experience with Regent now, so that may help and she has been in the business for 17 years...again experience. I will add another qualifier as well, we always stayed in the hotels that Regent chose. Lucky for us they were exactly were we wanted to be...for example Rome (near the Spanish Steps) and Venice (near St. Marks square etc). We only deviated Air because we wanted Air Canada ( Air Canada - even though it is a crappy airline - has direct flights to everywhere - non stop). Any time we deviated Regent HQ was more then accommodating. Believe me, I am not a Regent cheerleader, we have criticised them on points when I write reviews on the cruise...not everything is stellar or 5 star. Unfortunately when you hand the cruise booking over to a TA, that is it for Regent HQ talking to you..so I tend to keep the booking in my name until I have to give it up...Sorry to hear about the issues...I agree find a better TA...

Anyone out there know how much it would cost for transportation from airport to HiltonMolino Stuckey and from hotel to cruise ship?

Jean

This is probably a dumb question but where is Stuckey and which airport are you arriving at?

Edited by Travelcat2