Live from Emerald Princess - Norwegian Fjords and North Cape 6th August 2016

Frflatt

Our final stop was Bergen. Unfortunately the weather wasn't playing ball again. We made our way at 7.30 to the funicular railway so as to avoid the crowds. When we got to the top, it was shrouded in fog but we still made the most of it.

IMG_0431_zpslokahtkj.jpg

IMG_0432_zpspoys07c1.jpg

At the top were various walking trails which we explored for a little while before stumbling across the Magic Forest, an exhibition of graffiti spray painted on clingfilm between the trees.

IMG_0398_zpskzkirktk.jpg

IMG_0380_zpshonjhebu.jpg

IMG_0370_zpsm7kzmuxa.jpg

IMG_0378_zpsnkibnwuy.jpg

I'm sure it wasn't great while you were there but I think the dogs makes the pictures look awesome.

We actually didn't mind the fog at the top of the funicular whilst walking around. It was just a shame we didn't get the view across Bergen because of it. I bet it would have been amazing. Just gives us incentive to visit again but perhaps for a tour by car.

Having ventured back down into Bergen, we explored albeit quickly as we weren't in port for long.

Back to the harbour area to see the Bryggen which can be seen in the first two photos with the fog shrouded peak in the background.

IMG_0457_zpsli62qhjt.jpg

IMG_0452_zpse4ql3qo5.jpg

Whilst walking around the harbour area, there was an stunning two mast yacht called the Kamaxitha. Apparently it's 55 metres long. 55 metres of beautiful wood and stainless steel.

IMG_0466_zpsb7ibhzpv.jpg

Crew working aloft... eek!

IMG_0471_zpslzym3fx3.jpg

Next we moved into the town and specifically the 'town square', Torgallmenningen where the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra were rehearsing for a free open air concert to be given that night. It was a treat for the ears.

IMG_0502_zps6b6g8yy7.jpg

IMG_0511_zps4qonqbeu.jpg

IMG_0528_zpspftn1kkh.jpg

IMG_0501_zpsrphk8m1a.jpg

Looking back towards the harbour and Bryggen.

IMG_0524_zpstpbqxtkc.jpg

Having walked to the end of the square, I noticed a church atop a hill in the distance and we set off all the while knowing were only had about 45 minutes to do so.

IMG_0539_zpsv9fxmsnq.jpg

IMG_0544_zpsnpb3pqel.jpg

And so inside...

IMG_0548_zpsj8woifwz.jpg

IMG_0551_zpsyqr4skxw.jpg

IMG_0560_zpsq0dhlzdo.jpg

The church was St John's Church and whilst it was the exterior was built of gorgeous red brick, the interior was the some of the most ornate woodworking we have ever seen. Here's the ceiling to illustrate (taken with an wide angle lens and not a kaleidoscope!)

IMG_0563_zpsa5bjs05t.jpg

The sad time had arrived. We had to go back to the ship leaving the last port of our cruise. Always a sad occasion although we did have a sea day to look forward to.

The view back to the town from the area outside St John's Church.

IMG_0572_zpsa3163jbk.jpg

IMG_0540_zps2fbdj4rg.jpg

The area seemed to be a quite affluent one which some gorgeous properties. Some more modern.

IMG_0570_zps4iwz2hnn.jpg

And others not so modern but equally as impressive.

IMG_0576_zpsthclqg5x.jpg

IMG_0584_zpsl23fxekb.jpg

Some just needed a little love and attention.

IMG_0582_zpscvgdpwcx.jpg

Unfortunately our cruise and this Live From must to come to an end. We have enjoyed both immensely.

Now time to reflect on an amazing cruise and to start dreaming about the next one which sets sail on 10 February 2017. This time in the Caribbean sailing out of Barbados on the P&O Britannia. It will be extra special as it will be Stephen's 60th.

I expect Stephen will do another Live From then (he got quite addicted this time around) and I'll hopefully post pictures as we go along.

IMG_0210_zps4pd6nfwh.jpg

Thank you, Stephen, for keeping your LIVE so entertaining, I just read the entire 9 pages, non-stop! Well, maybe one brief stop... :p And Geoff the photos, make me want to go buy a new camera! A joy to see them, and thank you for telling us WHAT we were seeing! A real treat, gentlemen! :D

Thank you, Stephen, for keeping your LIVE so entertaining, I just read the entire 9 pages, non-stop! Well, maybe one brief stop... :p And Geoff the photos, make me want to go buy a new camera! A joy to see them, and thank you for telling us WHAT we were seeing! A real treat, gentlemen! :D

Thanks Joanne. Glad you liked it. Good to hear positive comments as it gives us the incentive to do it again.

Edited by Geoffa30
I really must proof read my posts!

Count me among the many who so enjoyed your review and pictures. Both of you are very talented. I am going to add this cruise to my must do list. I have been on a Baltic cruise where I went to Oslo,but now I really want to see more of beautiful Norway. Thanks so much for sharing your cruise !!!!!

This is another thank you, Stephen & Geoff. We were on the June sailing of the Emerald on the same itinerary, and it was very interesting to see how your trip compared with ours. "Revisiting" all the ports (well, except Flam) through your writeup, some in much better conditions than we encountered and some in poorer, reinforces my thinking that one needs to do any good itinerary at least twice...

John

Count me among the many who so enjoyed your review and pictures. Both of you are very talented. I am going to add this cruise to my must do list. I have been on a Baltic cruise where I went to Oslo,but now I really want to see more of beautiful Norway. Thanks so much for sharing your cruise !!!!!

Thank you, it was fun to do - hope you get to do this cruise soon; Norway is an amazing place and the sights are stunning.

This is another thank you, Stephen & Geoff. We were on the June sailing of the Emerald on the same itinerary, and it was very interesting to see how your trip compared with ours. "Revisiting" all the ports (well, except Flam) through your writeup, some in much better conditions than we encountered and some in poorer, reinforces my thinking that one needs to do any good itinerary at least twice...

John

Thank you John, I agree about doing things twice - we will be back to do it again in the future. Glad you enjoyed the blog and photos - we enjoyed doing it.

Our next Princess cruise will be on the Majestic - Barcelona to Rome - in April and will definitely do a live from on that voyage.

• 11 months later...

Stephen & Geoff -- It's a year later, but I was delighted to find this blog!

Friends & I just booked this trip for June 2018 (Sapphire Princess). Your information is SO helpful! I took several notes & have also cut/pasted it in my notes.

THANKS!

Thank you, it was an amazing cruise and would definitely do it again.

Hope you really enjoy the cruise - the people who went in June last year had better weather than us; so hope it's equally good for you! :)

Hope you really enjoy the cruise - the people who went in June last year had better weather than us; so hope it's equally good for you! :)

Happy Anniversary of your cruise!

We also enjoyed your experiences & shared it on our roll call for our June 2018 Norway cruise. All ports except for Southampton are new for us so we're reading everything possible about this itinerary.

I've even read the roll call for the 8/12/17 Norway cruise for information & read that several passengers received great move over offers beginning about 10 days before sailing. Not sure if we'd accept such an offer but being retired our schedules are flexible & certainly would consider an offer we can't refuse. ;)