Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean?

Jackamama

Looking at options for our family to cruise next year. We are big fans of Royal Caribbean, but considering trying Celebrity for this one. I know they have the same owners.

Celebrity looks more expensive, but I read that it is a step up in terms of quality? Please could anyone tell me what the main differences are between the two cruise lines, in their opinion. I realise this is subjective :)

Also, does having Diamond member status with Royal give access to any offers with Celebrity?

Thank you :)

We also have diamond on rccl and have tarted only going on celebrity. You get elite status on celebrity. We had so many problems on last rccl we jumped ship. The service on celebrity is much better and the food is a littl better. Enjoyed celebrity so much booked another on board.

Diamond or Diamond + equates to Elite on Celebrity.

Generally, IMHO, Celebrity has smaller ships, less kids, no rock walls or slides, etc. We think the food on Celebrity is better. The sidewalks are rolled up earlier on Celebrity.

Have cruised many times on both lines. As we "mature", we tend to lean toward =X=.

Also, does having Diamond member status with Royal give access to any offers with Celebrity?

You will be recognized as having Elite status in Celebrity's Captain's Club [just as Captain's Club members with Elite, Elite +, and Zenith status are recognized as C&A Diamond tier members when sailing Royal]...

Celebrity doesn't offer Balcony Discounts as Royal Caribbean does but they do offer the following...

-----

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

-----

If you decide to book with Celebrity and want to claim a cabin upgrade as described above, you should first call Captain's Club [800-760-0654]--with your Crown & Anchor Society membership numbers at hand--to secure Captain's Club membership numbers [they are not the same] as the upgrade request must be claimed at the time of booking [either directly with Celebrity or via your Travel Agent]...

The listing of other benefits associated with recognition as an Elite Captain's Club member doesn't "cut and paste" well but you can find the details here... Drilling down to the "Terms & Conditions" section will provide you with even more detailed information including a full description of the reciprocal loyalty recognition between Celebrity and Royal Caribbean...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/membership/captains-club-overview#captains_club_overview/captains-club/membership/captains-club-overview?subtab=true

Hope this helps!

We can see the strengths of both lines...

Variety of entertainment better on RC, food generally better on X.

More children on RC, good or bad depending on who you are travelling with...

Re cost...we tend to book suites and although at first glance X can appear more expensive when you see what is included we find X good value for money. I suggest you do look closely at drinks packages, dining costs etc....

Focus of RC 'action and adventure', focus of X 'rest and relaxation'.

Totally agree with Kenevenpar....the more we mature the more we lean to X. Four X cruises booked at present, they must be doing something right!

Looking at options for our family to cruise next year. We are big fans of Royal Caribbean, but considering trying Celebrity for this one. I know they have the same owners.

Celebrity looks more expensive, but I read that it is a step up in terms of quality? Please could anyone tell me what the main differences are between the two cruise lines, in their opinion. I realise this is subjective :)

We first sailed RCCL in 1989 and are Diamond, Celebrity in 1994 and are Elite.

Think 6 Flags, RCCL cool, vs Country Club class with Celebrity. All the super duper neato stuff the kids like to do will not be on a Celebrity ship. But they continue to get high remarks about the quality of their kids programs.

Chops had been our benchmark specialty for years, but the Lawn Club & Murano have taken the lead.

Diamond will get you a 1 cabin cat upgrade in some levels.

What else,,,,

We have cruised on both RC & X, 129 nights on Royal, 42 nights on Celebrity.

Overall we have enjoyed all of our time at sea. We were Diamond by the time we cruised with Celebrity, and I think the Celebrity Elite benefits on board were better than RC Diamond benefits.

There are a few things we liked better about Celebrity, calmer and more relaxing. After our cruises this summer we feel RC has slipped back on both food and entertainment.

All we have booked with RC now are two TA's and we will be spending some time with Celebrity in 2017.

We cruise only on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and we love both of them. Celebrity's S class ships are modern and beautiful and just the right size. if you like Royal Caribbean, you will feel right at home on Celebrity. Same laid back atmosphere, good fun people, great service, excellent food, beautiful venues across the ship. You can't go wrong with Celebrity.

Celebrity looks more expensive? I think RCI is more expensive!

That being said, we've cruised both (RCI twice and X many), and prefer Celebrity.

Quieter, more relaxing. Oh, and the price!

Edited by Muushka
spelling!

You don't mention the ages of your family which would make a huge difference in which line I would recommend. I have sailed only once on RCCL and have one booked but have sailed many times on Celebrity and on other lines. Celebrity is my favorite cruise line out of all my cruises but we tend to avoid cruises with a lot of kids onboard and Celebrity fits that bill.

If you have kids (you mention a family cruise), I would wholeheartedly recommend RCCL. A couple of years ago we were on a 'spring break' cruise on Celebrity ... there were a few teenagers onboard and they were complaining that it was 'intolerable'. I was laughing, of course, but their parents were attempting to keep them busy but I got the impression by all the complaining that there was nothing for them to do.

If your family includes a more mature group, I would switch that recommendation to Celebrity. The quality is definitely there in my opinion. I think it is just a little more white glove service and that is said without any criticism towards RCCL.

Our family has always cruised on Royal and we are now booked for a Royal cruise in December and a Celebrity cruise in June 2017. Our TA knew we had mentioned Celebrity but were looking for a summer Caribbean cruise. They had a promo and we got the drink pkg, internet, gratuities and OBC...none of which are included with our RCCL cruise, so by the time you take those costs, subtract what we would pay to add all this to our RCCL cruise, Celebrity, hands down is the better bargain. In addition, as Elite on Celebrity (Diamond on RCCL), we will get the free bag of laundry, which we never got with Royal and we lost the $10 discount unless the cruise is an 8 night cruise. We chose three OV cabin, because we're taking my Grandson and a friend of his and STILL got the perks. He's 22 and Diamond on his own status with Royal, gets the perks of the promo plus the Elite perks....and he doesn't have to wear a suit or tux on formal night, since it's "chic" dress on Celebrity.We're excited about the cruise and can't wait to try something new! :D

There is a different vibe on Celebrity. The ships are a little more modern feeling and it is gears towards adults with relaxation in mind. I feel that service is a little better as well as the food in the specialty restaurants. Celebrity has the Sunset bar which overlooks the wake of the ship and is my favorite place to hang out. Celebrity is my favorite line but I am in my 40's without children and looking forward to laying around with a drink in hand and reading my kindle.

Royal Caribbean is geared more towards the active family with more areas dedicated to children. I have had great service on one RCCL cruise and fairly bad service on another so seems more hit and miss. The RCCL ships that I have been on are lacking a bar area that is outside except at the pool area which I find odd.