How much leeway do they give you on timing of traditional dining reservations ?

The Other Tom

I'm not planning on being late. I'm just asking a what if question. You guys are assuming I'm going to be late on purpose...not so. I'm asking how long will they hold my table if I'm unavoidably detained, i.e., late.

Again, there won't be anybody else at the table. It will be a table for two.

Yes, I know it will hold up others who are waiting on "my table" but it's not my intention to be rude. Sometimes people are late for many reasons.

If it is a table for two, I would either call ahead (if the DINE line answers :(), or politely ask at the front desk when I arrived late if it will be a problem for them. I would then offer to dine in the HC if that is the case. If you aren't too late, my guess is that they would seat you, as tables for two "turn" far more quickly than those with larger groups. But at least you are being considerate about it, in any case :).

If it is a table for two, I would either call ahead (if the DINE line answers :(), or politely ask at the front desk when I arrived late if it will be a problem for them. I would then offer to dine in the HC if that is the case. If you aren't too late, my guess is that they would seat you, as tables for two "turn" far more quickly than those with larger groups. But at least you are being considerate about it, in any case :).

Good info, thanks

... When we've questioned the maitre d' about the change ... We've never received a straight answer.

Interesting thread, and sadly I haven't mastered how to include multi-quotes for my replies.

Other Tom- In reading the posts, I don't think anyone was really accusing you of planning to be late. The true message is that intentional or not, it DOES have consequences. Let me pull in a few other comments to bring this together.

One person sneered (or so it seemed) that the schedule was to accommodate the kitchen, while another jeered that Princess should remember the passenger.

"Passenger" as opposed to "Passengers" makes me think of that selfish attitude of ME, ME, ME: It's all about me!

Princess typically has about 3,000 other passengers besides ME to feed. And with an aim to accommodate EVERYONE as BEST AS POSSIBLE, given their YEARS of experience, they DO move those TD times slightly. I have always requested TD Late Seating and learned to review my cruise card at port check-in to see whether it would be 8:00 or 8:15. And that's when I show up. I've never thrown a tantrum and waived a screenshot of what was confirmed on the website and demanded it be honored. I've just gone with the flow.

I always request a large table because I'm a solo traveler and have usually met interesting people over dinner.

However for breakfast and lunch, I sit alone, at a table for two. NOTE THIS: tables for two do NOT come with their own personal service staff. In fact the waitstaff will typically serve as a TABLE FOR EIGHT, meaning that a four top and two- two-tops -- or some similar combination with be served in tandem. Yes, when I've put down my mirror and stopped looking and worrying just about ME, I realized that waitstaff would take orders for three or four tables seated at the same time, so that they could fill the large trays that carry from the kitchen with a full course for all the tables in one trip. Simply amazing! By doing this, they were able to provide efficient service-- even to that one lady with her ELITE card dangling around her neck who practically read an INSTRUCTION MANUAL on how to prepare her tea (btw.. NOTHING turned out right in her eyes, I think, because she complained throughout, including her walk from the dining room after the meal. Yes, It's true; I'm not making it up.)

Arriving 5 or 10 minutes late? It probably won't be noticed. First of all, noone holds you to the minute. Second, the waitstaff is very interested in accommodating beverage orders. And this is followed by their overview and favorite picks on the menu for the evening. So it's easy to catch up if you're only slightly late.

TracieABD sounds like a courteous individual. and I agree with how she handles the situation. Along those lines, when I know I will dining in a specialty restaurant, the evening prior, I inform my TD table mates and the waitstaff so they don't wait for me. For any TD dinners at a table for two, offering the information to the head waiter allows them the flexibility to use the table to accommodate someone else if needed.

Oh, and as for "calling someone" prior to embarkation to get the ACTUAL time... I doubt it. On my last cruise in April, the lead wait staff member for our table in conversation explained that she worked during the day in an office on the ship helping to arrange and accommodate seating changes and moves whether it be from ATD to TD or the the reverse. We saw first hand the results of her work, as a party of 10, frustrated with ATD were given a table for TD next to us.

I sincerely DOUBT the captain gets involved, nor does corporate.

rbt001,

I won't quote your post but I wanted to reply with a big [emoji106]

BTW, I believe I have met you "Tea Lady" [emoji33] or a very close relative. On the Pacific on the 50th Anniversary cruise there was a lady like that who was complaining all the way through lunch and standing at times to get attention. See apparently travels often and was well known by the waitstaff. To my pleasant surprise, the Maitre d' came by and tactfully told her to set down and be quiet as she was being disruptive [emoji4] With almost 65% of the passengers being Elite on the cruise, she appeared to be the only one of us that was not behaving well [emoji6]

Interesting thread, and sadly I haven't mastered how to include multi-quotes for my replies.

TracieABD sounds like a courteous individual. and I agree with how she handles the situation. Along those lines, when I know I will dining in a specialty restaurant, the evening prior, I inform my TD table mates and the waitstaff so they don't wait for me. For any TD dinners at a table for two, offering the information to the head waiter allows them the flexibility to use the table to accommodate someone else if needed.

Awwww... Thanks!

This is a major pet peeve for us. Over the last few years we've only had a "real" 6pm first seating once, and that was part of a b2b where it changed to 5:45 on the second segment. When we've questioned the maitre d' about the change we've been told it comes from corporate. When we've asked at Passenger Services they've told us it's the maitre d'. Others have said it's Princess policy, it depends on the itinerary, or that the captain makes the decision. We've never received a straight answer.

Hotel Manager/MD (with a call to corporate if warranted) would be the only ones involved.

rbt001,

BTW, I believe I have met you "Tea Lady" [emoji33] or a very close relative. On the Pacific on the 50th Anniversary cruise there was a lady like that who was complaining all the way through lunch and standing at times to get attention. See apparently travels often and was well known by the waitstaff. To my pleasant surprise, the Maitre d' came by and tactfully told her to set down and be quiet as she was being disruptive [emoji4] With almost 65% of the passengers being Elite on the cruise, she appeared to be the only one of us that was not behaving well [emoji6]

The year was 2014... picture it.... lol. Princess and competitors oversupplied the South Florida market with Caribbean cruises for 12 months of the year. I took 10 and met her one morning at a community breakfast table. I was probably Ruby (yet only months from Elite status) and felt such an inexperienced child at 53, among-st my elders with their countless cruise days and top status. Oh how I painfully learned over breakfast of all the ways Princess wronged them over the years.

Walking from the DR I was deep in prayer, asking that I not find the desire when old and gray to PAY to do something that I know I'm only going to complain about. Sadly my prayers were interrupted by said "tea lady" to her husband "... and I BET the cabin steward won't even have our room made up!" Sigh....

Circling this back to the topic: CONSIDERATION CONSIDERATION CONSIDERATION.

Yes, Princess tries to accommodate special requests. But be aware of it's impact. Sauce on the side, no this** or extra that: not an issue. But when a special request take the waitstaff and inordinate amount of time to try to accommodate, this has an impact upon fellow patrons at the table and surrounding tables that are waiting to be served.

So Other Tom: come 15 minutes early with your special requests! Just kidding. But see... now it's not really hijacking.

**No this.... EXCEPT when it was the teenager at the country club with her parents years ago when I was a college age waiter, who wanted the kitchen to pick out all the finely chopped celery from the tuna salad for her sandwich. I told her: "NO, they are NOT going to do that."

We had ATD on a California Coastal Cruise on the Grand last fall. We checked in at the door of the dining room and were given a pager. There were 4 of us and we had a short wait. When the pager buzzed we went to the restaurant and they sent us to a table in the TD dining room. A table for 4 where the people had not shown up. As we were looking at our menus the people showed up and were very up set that their table had been given away. (I really don't know the timing as to how late they were but late enough that their table was given away). It was the last night and they wanted their same waiters but I guess not badly enough to be on time!

We've booked anytime dining on our upcoming cruise but I'm having second thoughts. Let's say I book traditional dining at 5:30 but don't show up until 5:45. Will they still seat me right away or will I have to wait ? In other words, how long will they hold the table ?

About 15 min.

rbt001,

Haha. I remember her and her wagging finger!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had ATD on a California Coastal Cruise on the Grand last fall. We checked in at the door of the dining room and were given a pager. There were 4 of us and we had a short wait. When the pager buzzed we went to the restaurant and they sent us to a table in the TD dining room. A table for 4 where the people had not shown up. As we were looking at our menus the people showed up and were very up set that their table had been given away. (I really don't know the timing as to how late they were but late enough that their table was given away). It was the last night and they wanted their same waiters but I guess not badly enough to be on time!

Not your fault, but their lesson learned!

Serves them right.

DON

We also have early TD. This will be the first time in many years that we haven't opted for Anytime dining. I figure information is key to having a good TD experience. If we are going to be late because of a tour, we'll let the Head Waiter or Maitre 'd know the night before and request a table at a later time slot. If that won't work, we'll eat elsewhere. If we'll be going to a specialty restaurant, we plan to also let the Head Waiter or Maitre'd know the night before, so another party can sit at our table. If you can't know you're going to be late until the day of, then see the Head Waiter or Maitre'd know when the TD opens that evening. One of the nice things we like about Princess is they have alternate dinner venues.

We've booked anytime dining on our upcoming cruise but I'm having second thoughts. Let's say I book traditional dining at 5:30 but don't show up until 5:45. Will they still seat me right away or will I have to wait ? In other words, how long will they hold the table ?

We do a table for 2 always. That way we get a little leeway. We always let the staff know before hand that we may run a half hour late. It's never been an issue with us. We'll move our dining along at a fairly fast pace to be gone before they need to flip the tables for the next seating.

We do a table for 2 always. That way we get a little leeway. We always let the staff know before hand that we may run a half hour late. It's never been an issue with us. We'll move our dining along at a fairly fast pace to be gone before they need to flip the tables for the next seating.

Being 1/2 hour late may not be an issue for you but it would be interesting to be able to read the minds of the waitstaff as you waltz in late. They will not tell you but I am sure that it messes up their serving rhythm.

DON

Being 1/2 hour late may not be an issue for you but it would be interesting to be able to read the minds of the waitstaff as you waltz in late. They will not tell you but I am sure that it messes up their serving rhythm.

One thing that we have done if arriving a few minutes late, is to ask the waiter or others around us where they are in their meal. If they have already ordered an appetizer, then we skip ours to get "caught up" with the flow :).

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and I think that bringing atd passengers into the td dining room is a beginning step to turning all of the dining rooms to atd. People coming late make it difficult for servers in td--won't people from atd being seated cause the same issues? Also, if I'm at a table for 6, and one couple doesn't show up will they bring another couple to our table where everyone has already ordered?

From the perspective of an atd diner being brought into the td dining room--will they be put a table where everyone already knows each other, and they feel like they're interrupting? Even if like the op they are put at an empty table they're still being brought in after dinner has begun.

When I know I will be late back due to an excursion I let my waiter know the night before and eat in the Court that night:)

We do the same thing, but most of the time our waitstaff will tell us to come whenever we get back. Sometimes if you're in a port in the evening all dining rooms will be atd. Usually our waiters will tell us that even though it is atd they will "hold" our table for us. In that case we either tell them that we'll be there or thank them and tell them we'll be going to HC.

I have not been able to cruise since late 2014 illness in my immediate family but I do know in traditional dining sometimes there certainly remained gaps were folks had not turned up.Those empty spaces always stayed that way on Early Traditional.

Personally feel it is very selfish of folks booking Traditional when they rarely take those spots in the evening while others wanting Traditional are on a wait list. If they know they made a mistake after a couple of nights why not inform the maitre'd or Head Waiter so others can have that spot.There again I quote'If it were a perfect world................' :)

One thing that we have done if arriving a few minutes late, is to ask the waiter or others around us where they are in their meal. If they have already ordered an appetizer, then we skip ours to get "caught up" with the flow :).

You sound like caring people. The others who waltz in late on TD and figure that the over worked wait staff can just handle it are not caring people.

DON