Need help !Anthem New England Cruise 9 nights

I am a native Floridian and have cruised most my life . My husband and I most recently went on the Allure to Jamaica and Cozumel. We have done the Carribean so much I thought it would be neat to go on the 9 day anthem cruise and explore New England. Overall is visiting Boston , Maine and Nova Scotia good on a cruise in late September ? Is it typically cold and rough seas ? There are only inside cabins available , is this a problem ? I haven't seen any reviews specific to the Anthem and this itinerary.

Overall it sounds like the anthem has poor service and it's hard to get a drink and a long line for everything. Is this the case in the longer New England cruise or is it mainly the Bermuda cruise with all the complaints. I have never been on a bad Royal Carribean cruise , is this one much different than the others ? Finally is this typically an itinerary for older people? My husband and I are in our 30's and like some fun and nightlife too.

For a Floridian, Sept in the NE will be cold - not so much for others. The ship is unlike other ships but you'll likely have just as much fun as past cruises. Demographics are likely to be the same as any other late Sept cruise. Most inside cabins have virtual balconies. Service is likely to be about the same as other ships. Don't let reviews scare you away.

Not to worry, seas are calm, weather is wonderful.

It is not a (nearly dead) cruise, people of all ages.

Look into a virtual inside cabin. Hear they are cool.

Service is what you make of it, everyone has an opinion, and very subjective.

Go with a good additude, and you will be fine. Enjoy!!! :cool:

I am a native Floridian and have cruised most my life . My husband and I most recently went on the Allure to Jamaica and Cozumel. We have done the Carribean so much I thought it would be neat to go on the 9 day anthem cruise and explore New England. Overall is visiting Boston , Maine and Nova Scotia good on a cruise in late September ? Is it typically cold and rough seas ? There are only inside cabins available , is this a problem ? I haven't seen any reviews specific to the Anthem and this itinerary.

Overall it sounds like the anthem has poor service and it's hard to get a drink and a long line for everything. Is this the case in the longer New England cruise or is it mainly the Bermuda cruise with all the complaints. I have never been on a bad Royal Carribean cruise , is this one much different than the others ? Finally is this typically an itinerary for older people? My husband and I are in our 30's and like some fun and nightlife too.

We are on the August 25th Canada/New England Anthem and that is the first time Anthem is doing that itinerary, so as of now there are no sailings to see reviews. We are in an inside, but that's all we've ever done, so only insides left wouldn't be a problem for us.

Anthem itself is such a large ship, I think that's where a lot of the complaints come from. if only 1% of people complain, that would be a much larger number of complaints for a ship like Anthem.

This year? That would be the Sept 22 sailing that we are on. There's a good group here for that cruise, if you are interested.

This is our second NE/CA cruise- it was cool, but not cold- the Atlantic keeps the coast warmer than here in Michigan at that time of the year.

Lots of outside (not beach) things to do- like we are doing a bike trip in Acadia (like we did last time).

Hard to tell about age- it is a longer cruise, but it's also a longish weekend.

Our second time on Anthem- we really enjoyed it last time.

We are also on the 22 Sept Anthem run, and from SE Michigan, make sure you go to our quite active roll call. I agree expect cool not cold, and don't be surprised when you see us Northerners in shorts and sandals as long as it isn't in the 50's[emoji3] we are planning to hike in Acadia, and other active type excursions. Not sure if you would consider us young, but we are not old just yet.

As long as a hurricane doesn't follow the Florida folks North, we should be good weather wise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure where all these it will cool or cold comments are coming from, mid to late September in New England is normally mid 60's to low 70's during the day with a low in the high 50's. To me I wouldnt describe 70 as cool

You are also from NJ, and the OP is from Florida. To me in Alaska, 70 is hot. We had to go out and buy 3 fans and two portable AC's when we hit 75 last month because it was way too hot. 40-50 is the perfect temperature for me here, while my grandma in south Texas needs a sweater if it gets below 75.

Also, Portland, Maine, this cruise's second stop, has an average low of 50 and high of 67 the week of this cruise, Bar Harbor is 48/66, Halifax looks like about 46/65, which are definitely on the "cool" side to a lot of people not used to northern weather.

Keep in mind these ships are designed with cool/cold weather cruising in mind. They have plenty of inside space. The Solarium is the best IMO of any ship ever. I loved it on Quantum and look forward to it on Anthem.

I think you will find the weather cool but also enjoy getting to see the leaves change hopefully. Fall is a beautiful season.

You will most likely not find many kids on board since most are back in school and it a bit longer.

Not a lot of leaf change in September and it might be wise to bring a jacket. We live in RI and did NE/Canada out of Boston the same time of year. One Canadian stop, it dropped into the 40's for a day. Otherwise it was shorts and Tees for the rest of the trip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm on the September 22 cruise also. I did the same week last year on the Liberty of the Seas and the weather was perfect except for Boston. There it was in the 50s and was windy and raining all day. In Halifax the temperature was in the mid 70s and sunny. The temperature in Maine was in the 60s and sunny.

I only had a sweater with me, which was not enough to get off the ship in Boston, but unused the rest of the cruise. This year I may bring a windbreaker, but if the weather isn't great I'll just stay on the ship and try again next year (I have the same cruise booked again for the end of September 2017).

Susan

We've done the New England cruise twice. The weather can be sunny and hot, or not! It's best to prepare for anything. Our other sister lives in Portland and I spend every Thanksgiving with her. Even that late the weather can be nice. It just depends...

My wife and I haven't cruised to that part of New England, but have travelled there very often as we have friends in northern MA, near the NH line.

Acadia is a must, that's an outrageous national park -- if the opportunity arises to get to the top of Cadillac Mountain, do so as the views are stunning.

Halifax NS is a real seafaring city with a definite British flair to it. You'll be humming "Rule Britannia" as you explore downtown.

If you can get a copy of "Down East" magazine, do so -- it's all "about Maine", and includes many recommendations as to places to see / do / eat when in that beautiful State.

The weather late September is absolutely gorgeous in that part of the world, you won't be cold. And POSSIBLY you might start to see some early change to foliage.

Michael

Thanks for all the insight! Sounds overall like a great ship and great itinerary ! What are some top things people like to do at these ports ?

We're planning to be much more laid back than normal cruise on this itinerary; Boston we are just doing a self-guided tour along the Freedom Trail, Portland we are doing a lighthouse/seal cruise and depending on time thinking about taking a ferry to some of the islands. Bar Harbor we are meeting a friend who lives in Caribou and doing some hikes in Acadia, and St. John and Halifax we are renting a car and just doing self tours. The Citadel, Peggy's Cove, Bay of Fundy, and just sort of playing by ear.

There are a lot of Titanic museums and graveyards if you are into that, and I know a few people who are doing whale watching in Maine.

We're planning to be much more laid back than normal cruise on this itinerary; Boston we are just doing a self-guided tour along the Freedom Trail, Portland we are doing a lighthouse/seal cruise and depending on time thinking about taking a ferry to some of the islands. Bar Harbor we are meeting a friend who lives in Caribou and doing some hikes in Acadia, and St. John and Halifax we are renting a car and just doing self tours. The Citadel, Peggy's Cove, Bay of Fundy, and just sort of playing by ear.

There are a lot of Titanic museums and graveyards if you are into that, and I know a few people who are doing whale watching in Maine.

I should have added in my previous post -- when in St. John, NB, there is an excellent restaurant that is owned as a Cooperative by Guatemalan immigrants ... "Taco Pica" ... singlehandedly the best Guatemalan (specifically) / Central American (generally) food that my wife and I have ever had. Highly recommend going there for lunch during your stay.

St. John itself is a very compact, yet beautiful city. A chance to explore Fundy is something that shouldn't be missed.

Michael

We just got off the Anthem and it was sold out. The only place where you really felt crowded was in the pools. Service was great and everyone had a great time. I am sure you will too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the insight! Sounds overall like a great ship and great itinerary ! What are some top things people like to do at these ports ?

Here's my 2cents, based on what I did:):

Portland: Mt. Washington and Cog Railway (need long pants, jacket)

Bar Harbor: Acadia and Cadillac Mountain

Halifax: Peggy's Cove and Lobster

St. John: Hopewell Rocks

Boston: grabbed some walking tours online and spent the time just exploring, and a stop at Mike's Pastry.

and ate Lobster:)

It was mid October -- weather was terrific, so shorts and t's most of the time. Week before us though had rain every day - so luck of the draw.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips! So the cruise ends in Halifax so I am assuming you don't get any time there unless you extend your stay in a hotel. Is one night enough to see then fly home from Halifax ? Also arriving into Newark to leave our of the Liberty port, has anyone flown in the same day as taking the cruise ? I could get a non stop flight and get there by noon. Does that leave enough time to catch the boat ? I guess the only issue is if they lose your luggage right!