Celebrity Cruisers Beware!

2 4 the Road

The Horizon name was covered over by Northern Telecom. They had chartered the entire ship.

NORTEL: Painful memories for many Canadian investors and employees....

So many wondered where the money went. :rolleyes:

Not true in the UK Market. There are several airlines (one of which who flies to 6 major USA destinations direct from my local Manchester International Airport) where bookings are currently open up to and including October 31st 2017!

For European flights we have at least 2 airlines whose flights are open for booking, again up to October 2017.

This situation caused me receive an awful lot of abuse from the NCL boards when our NCL Jade sailing was cancelled as I said I had non-refundable flights booked 15 months out that the cruise line had to reimburse me for. I was called a liar and far worse as nobody believed me and insulted me to the point where I left those boards.

I work in the travel business, and accept that many airlines do not open bookings until 11 months or approximately 330 days out, but that's also down to the GDS systems myself and the airlines use to make reservations. Obviously it's date driven and if today, I was to make an availability search for 12AUG, the system would think I wanted tomorrow, not 12AUG17. :D If I enter 12JUL, it is obvious to the system that it is for 2017 as 12th July 2016 is in the past.

2017 is a lot different than 2018.

Not true in the UK Market. There are several airlines (one of which who flies to 6 major USA destinations direct from my local Manchester International Airport) where bookings are currently open up to and including October 31st 2017!

For European flights we have at least 2 airlines whose flights are open for booking, again up to October 2017. believed me and insulted me to the point where I left those boards.

Here in Canada we too have a couple of charter airlines that have their schedules out over a year in advance. Mostly to sun destinations and Europe. It's just the scheduled carriers that have the 330 day limitation in the GDS.

Edited by avcruz

Unfortunately, I can't name the website as it would be against the terms of service on CC.

Why does one need more information to validate the point that RCI owned ships book more full and partial charters than any other line? Numbers in this case point to the fact that these ships are chartered more than any other.

What I don't get is why they can't put rules into place that full or half charters must be booked before bookings are open to the general public? If you're an organization that will be booking a couple thousand people, you must know well in advance that you're planning this.

Unfortunately, I can't name the website as it would be against the terms of service on CC.

Why does one need more information to validate the point that RCI owned ships book more full and partial charters than any other line? Numbers in this case point to the fact that these ships are chartered more than any other.

What I don't get is why they can't put rules into place that full or half charters must be booked before bookings are open to the general public? If you're an organization that will be booking a couple thousand people, you must know well in advance that you're planning this.

I agree but however money talks!

If you get kicked, go through your travel agent or if you booked direct call Celebrity. If you don't get a good deal and/ or fully reimbursed, fight( this usually means sweet talk, explain your situation and be political) till you do.. of course you will have to provide proof your paid for things.

If you don't get satisfaction then switch cruise lines. That is the only way you can actually not have it happen again with the same Cruise line.

It doesn't matter to me if the OP used a new name' date=' or if he/she doesn't respond.

So many of the posters have been nasty and snarky. I don't blame the OP for not wanting to get entangled with them.

I am responding because I think Shipshape nailed it. If a cruiseline wants to charter its ships, fine, BUT charter well ahead and don't offer it to the public, only to cancel.[/quote']

It was a 2018 cruise that was cancelled; I think that's probably as much warning as you are ever going to get. More than a year is certainly enough time.

What is so frustrating for the OP is that this cruise, booked in March so up to 2 years before sailing, was booked because a prior booking was cancelled. I don't know what the odds of that are, but I would probably think I was extremely unlucky too! So I get the frustration, but there are at least 15 months to plan something else.

No matter what a cruiseline does it will always step on somebody´s toes.

I am constantly surprised people forget that cruise lines are no charities... they will do whatever they make more money on - and they will not care for simple Jane or John Doe, even if they are Elite Plus.

I am amazed too as itineraries are typically around 24 months out when released in most cases. Secondly, I would guess (read speculate) that many of these charters once started and if popular become annual events. Thus.......

Yes cruise lines are in business to make money and I hope lots of money as without profits, in the long run, will not be able to provide us with great products and services.

I am also not a proponent of regulation via government. I like regulation via my money, my participation, my recommendations, etc.

For European flights we have at least 2 airlines whose flights are open for booking, again up to October 2017.

Which airlines? Just curious. Either way, it isn't much help to American cruise passengers.

My reply was to explain that flights are available more than 11 months out which the poster had stated.

This is clearly the exception though. In the vast majority of cases, airfare cannot be booked earlier than 11 months out.

Which airlines? Just curious. Either way, it isn't much help to American cruise passengers.

This is clearly the exception though. In the vast majority of cases, airfare cannot be booked earlier than 11 months out.

Thomas cook Airlines does.

I did not ask where you got your information because I needed validation, but because I find it interesting that it can be found, & would like to investigate it.

Jeeesh, lighten up! I'll do a search mysekf. Thanks for your help.

I would be mad as hell if this happened to me. This practice should be illegal unless it is an emergency. Passengers are not allowed to cancel without harsh penalties so why should the cruise lines be able to do this?

Ahhh, fairone, you are free to cancel, without penalty at that just as long you are in the US and it is before final payment date, other non-US bookings have different rules which apply.

X usually and in most of the postings here on CC that I have found, has cancelled not less than one (1) year out, unless you can point out where that is not true. As well, X offered alternative sailings for affected passengers and OBC too.

So, as a passenger we have more leeway to cancel than the reverse, X to cancel...

bon voyage

Could it be that we book cruises long before the Charter people do because they don't have to? They get the ship regardless.

Sorry folks, I don't understand any of this anger. We are talking about a sailing that is over a year and a half away. No airfare, no hotels, no other arrangements. An eternity to plan something else. I had one of the Summit sailings cancelled for this coming January. We were informed over a year in advance. We just said okay, and made other plans. Also, I am always puzzled by someone such as the original poster on this thread, who drops in to use Cruise Critic as an arena to weave a very negative post to either vent their frustrations and/or cause controversy, and then disappear forever. Their only legitimate complaint would be the inconvenience of getting their travel insurance back. However, in my opinion, anyone who books non-refundable travel insurance two years in advance did not do their homework. There are plenty of options for travel insurance that is refundable right up until final payment.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Ahhh, fairone, you are free to cancel, without penalty at that just as long you are in the US and it is before final payment date, other non-US bookings have different rules which apply.

X usually and in most of the postings here on CC that I have found, has cancelled not less than one (1) year out, unless you can point out where that is not true. As well, X offered alternative sailings for affected passengers and OBC too.

So, as a passenger we have more leeway to cancel than the reverse, X to cancel...

bon voyage

Sorry folks, I don't understand any of this anger. We are talking about a sailing that is over a year and a half away. No airfare, no hotels, no other arrangements. An eternity to plan something else. I had one of the Summit sailings cancelled for this coming January. We were informed over a year in advance. We just said okay, and made other plans. Also, I am always puzzled by someone such as the original poster on this thread, who drops in to use Cruise Critic as an arena to weave a very negative post to either vent their frustrations and/or cause controversy and then disappear forever. Their only legitimate complaint would be the inconvenience of getting their travel insurance back. However, in my opinion, anyone who books non-refundable travel insurance two years in advance did not do their homework. There are plenty of options for travel insurance that is refundable right up until final payment.

Dittos. These two posts say it all.

My reply was to explain that flights are available more than 11 months out which the poster had stated.

Most people will have understood that. Sadly it's cruise critic, some people just can't help themselves!

I've actually booked a charter from here to Canada over 18 months in advance. Maybe I should head over to the NCL boards? :D

Well it could be useful to American cruise passengers as one airline allows one way fares from the US (at great prices) and then for those US cruisers who were affected by the cancellation of the Equinox Barcelona sailings could have, like me, booked with one of the 2 companies who provide services from the UK to many Europeans destinations.

I don't consider it an exception, but that's my opinion. Just trying to clarify and be helpful, but as usual of it's not centred around the US it's discounted out of hand.:(

What requirements are these; when were they put in, & who is "they"?

In the tradition of Cruise Critic contributors, many are willing to argue any point which they require strict definition, even those that may not be directly related to the issue at hand.

It was my recollection that the last time I researched a flight to Puerto Rico I was surprised that the cost had jumped so drastically and the information that I was able to obtain was that the FAA had enacted new travel restrictions especially in regards to noise abatement for the airlines going and coming from San Juan. This in turn cut down the number of seats available as the number of flights was reduced and thus the price went up. At the time this discouraged us from sailing from San Juan. I mentioned this in relation to possibly reducing the number of people that were sailing from San Juan resulting in weaker demand for cruises departing from there.

As a result of researching a definitive answer to your question, it appears that due to the difficult economy in Puerto Rico with the debt crisis and the fear over the Zika virus, major airlines from the NY\NJ have reduced their fares by 36% or more in the last few months. Fares are back in the $325 range. Maybe this will spur demand.

I hope this assuages your anxieties regarding this topic.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise. Hopefully it will be soon.

This review is to warn anyone who is contemplating cruising with Celebrity Cruise Line. On August 4 my husband and I were notified that our 2018 cruise from San Juan, Puerto Rico had been cancelled. Please keep in mind that we have had this reservation since late March 2016. We had tried to take this exact trip slated for January 2017 but were told the cruise had been cancelled. So after being told it was in for repair, we proceeded to book the 2018 cruise date.

Now this exact cruise, for the second time, has been cancelled. Upon further investigation I have uncovered that Celebrity Cruise has thrown everyone that booked on this cruise off so they could sell the complete booking to a company not only for the 2018 date but also the 2017 sailing. Which means, Celebrity Cruise has no loyalty to its booked customers. All that matters to Celebrity is the almighty dollar!

We have cruised for over 20 years with different cruise lines and never once has a cruise line kicked us off a booked and deposit paid cruise. This little game of booking a listed cruise until something better comes along is totally wrong. They have disrupted many planned vacations without so much as a truthful explanation of why. I assume it is easier to say the cruise was cancelled instead of we don’t care that we have spoiled your planned vacation for a better offer from someone else. They offered to rebook us on the December sailing of this itinerary but we would be flying home the day before Christmas plus we would have to pay an additional amount due to an increase in the fare. Since we are senior travelers, with more years behind us than in front, being with family is very important to us which made this not an option.

We, and I assume many other passengers, are left to get their refunds from whatever source they used to pay for this trip. Thank goodness we did not make airline or hotel reservations. We did, however, purchase travel insurance and were told we could not receive a refund due to the time cancellation policy even though it was not our fault that the cruise was cancelled by Celebrity. After many phone conversations and endless time with several representatives, we were able to receive an exception and were granted the full refund of our purchase of travel insurance. This inconvenience is one more factor that Celebrity Cruise caused with this unwarranted cruise cancellation.

Celebrity Cruise should be ashamed of itself for listing a cruise and not living up to its responsibility of providing the service they so proudly tout. This disrupting a cruise of so many customers because they received a better offer should be a warning to anyone who sails with them. Your planned trip could be next! Celebrity Cruise is not looking out for anyone but themselves and will “throw anyone overboard” that may already have a paid reservation. Traveler Beware, Celebrity Cruise Line newsletters usually have a “Thank You for Your Loyally” remark in them, but experiencing their “thank you” first hand, we know that Celebrity Cruise Line and its’ executives have only one agenda, the bottom line, not the consumer.:mad:

I have only been cruising for seventeen years and this has happened to me twice, once with Carnival and once with Royal Caribbean. In fact all the cruise lines do this. They believe they have this right because of the terms of the contract.