Open Seating - is sharing the norm?

azcruise

We did select seating for the first time last winter on HAL. We loved it. Every night we sat at a table for 8.

On our previous cruise to that on Celebrity,we asked for table in our favourite section of the MDR except this time, it was right behind the food station and at a table for 4. We had trouble carrying on a pleasant conversation due to the noise so we asked for a new table. We were placed at a table of 8 people and we had a blast. Every couple of nights we played musical chairs so that we could all enjoy each other's company. It's definitely the way to go for us. Frankly, the tables for 2 are too close together anyways with little privacy. JMO

We did select seating for the first time last winter on HAL. We loved it. Every night we sat at a table for 8.

On our previous cruise to that on Celebrity,we asked for table in our favourite section of the MDR except this time, it was right behind the food station and at a table for 4. We had trouble carrying on a pleasant conversation due to the noise so we asked for a new table. We were placed at a table of 8 people and we had a blast. Every couple of nights we played musical chairs so that we could all enjoy each other's company. It's definitely the way to go for us. Frankly, the tables for 2 are too close together anyways with little privacy. JMO

And just what privacy does a table for 8 afford??

Frankly, the tables for 2 are too close together anyways with little privacy. JMO
On every HAL ship we've been on there are 2-tops that are not close to other tables. You just have to study the MDR plans to know which tables to ask for.

There will be four of us on our upcoming Noordam cruise. Any issues getting a table for just four at the MDR?
4-tops are very easy to get, and if they don't have a 4 they will often give you a 6 and pick up two place settings.

Edited by jtl513

That is true with a lot of them, it's the same almost as sitting at a four or six top.

• 4 weeks later...
When you arrive at the MDR desk, they will almost always try to "sell" you a shared table. Politely let them know you really want to have a table for two, and you will either get one (or a 4 just used by the 2 of you) or you will have to wait. Up to you to either wait, or go for a share table after all. On some ships they hand out pagers to notify you when the table becomes available.

All the above is of course depending a lot on your favorite dinner time.

Another option is to make a reservation for up to 3 days in advance. They will however not accept reservations in certain time slots.

Did you read OP's post?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am traveling alone - how should I handle that if I feel like making it a dining room night?

I'm not sure from your post if you want to share a table with others?

I travel solo and I have always been asked at the door if I want to be seated with others. I generally do, and they will then take me to a table (usually 6-8 seats) that is in the process of being filled. However, if you wish to sit alone, you can let them know that and you'll likely be seated at a table for two by yourself. Just be aware there are not as many tables for two available so there could be a wait.

Another option is if you find some others on board that you get along, you can all go in to dinner and be seated together.

I am traveling alone - how should I handle that if I feel like making it a dining room night?

Not sure my two cents matters since I've yet to cruise with HAL. However, all other lines have always offered the option to dine alone or with others when I present myself at the Open Dining desk. I don't have a preference these days--just whatever mood strikes at dinner time.

cruisemom42 just summed it up nicely.

What I like about HAL is that you truly have an OPTION to share. If you say you are interested in sharing, there's usually a table available to join. If you prefer not to share, the wait isn't usually too long. You can change night to night, depending on how sociable you're feeling.

On NCL recently, the daily indicated that the MDR would facilitate table sharing between 5:30 and 6:30 only. On RCCL, there didn't seem to be many people with My Time Dining who were looking to share. YMMV of course, but if you want the option to share at any time during the dinner (vs. fixed time), HAL seems to have it more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP you will enjoy meeting many other people in opening dining on HAL. The only problem we ever had was being seated at a table for 12, having our order taken, served appetizer, and then sitting for a VERY long time while waiting for the 10 other people who were seated after us...to be served the entree.

After that I asked for a table for four and the request was granted.

What I like about HAL is that you truly have an OPTION to share. If you say you are interested in sharing, there's usually a table available to join. If you prefer not to share, the wait isn't usually too long. You can change night to night, depending on how sociable you're feeling.

On NCL recently, the daily indicated that the MDR would facilitate table sharing between 5:30 and 6:30 only. On RCCL, there didn't seem to be many people with My Time Dining who were looking to share. YMMV of course, but if you want the option to share at any time during the dinner (vs. fixed time), HAL seems to have it more than others.

On a recent 10 day NCL cruise we asked to share every evening -only once were we put with others - I am not sure if the NCL staff do not want to be bothered of if no other NCL passengers are willing to share - either way it was an unimpressive dining experience.

Hello,

We are on Eurodam next week (first HAL in 13 years), and since we only booked a couple of weeks ago, we have Open Seating. We have been cruising NCL, and are used to Freestyle, during which we almost always ask to share a table. Is this normal on HAL, or will we be expected to eat at a table for 2 every night? We enjoy meeting others, so hope that sharing isn't a problem.

Thank you for your help!

As others have sufficiently answered, it is always possible to share a table and often you will be seated more quickly if you do share. And don't be surprised when the host is prepared to seat you to your preference from the second night on without you even having to ask.

There will be four of us on our upcoming Noordam cruise. Any issues getting a table for just four at the MDR?

And you will always be able to have your own table if you like. On Nieuw Amsterdam last February, I had open seating. But my travel buddy and I used the freedom we had with open seating to choose to eat at the exact same table at the exact same time every night. Aren't people funny? :p

"We enjoy meeting others, so hope that sharing isn't a problem."

oh how i wish you meant sharing the bar bill or sharing the birthday cake....

now that would be some generous sharing. ha ha, we love to share the conversation and the experience... and share a lot of laughs in the process.

happy sails to you. have a blast and do whatever your heart tells you too.

On a recent 10 day NCL cruise we asked to share every evening -only once were we put with others - I am not sure if the NCL staff do not want to be bothered of if no other NCL passengers are willing to share - either way it was an unimpressive dining experience.

The impression I got was that not having to eat with strangers is viewed as a positive thing by most who cruise NCL. It doesn't surprise me that there are few opportunities to share. I don't think NCL is a good choice for people who prefer more traditional cruise dining.

The impression I got was that not having to eat with strangers is viewed as a positive thing by most who cruise NCL. It doesn't surprise me that there are few opportunities to share. I don't think NCL is a good choice for people who prefer more traditional cruise dining.

I think you are correct that a lot of Norwegian cruisers are "doing their own thing," and don't even think about sharing a table. That said, I've been on many NCL cruises where I have been one of the youngest passengers (I'm 48), and the vibe has been very traditional. And even on my most recent Getaway cruise, folks were very chatty while eating. Even though I dined alone every night, I never ate alone as I was frequently conversing with the folks at the next table. Also, if you choose to eat at peak dining times on NCL, you will be asked to share a table. This is especially true on the ten ships older than Epic.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser