Open Seating - is sharing the norm?

azcruise

Hello,

We are on Eurodam next week (first HAL in 13 years), and since we only booked a couple of weeks ago, we have Open Seating. We have been cruising NCL, and are used to Freestyle, during which we almost always ask to share a table. Is this normal on HAL, or will we be expected to eat at a table for 2 every night? We enjoy meeting others, so hope that sharing isn't a problem.

Thank you for your help!

Sharing a table in open seating is quite common. You shouldn't have a wait if you are willing to share. It's people wanting a table for two who have to wait more often.

Just tell the person at the desk what size table you want.

Sharing a table in open seating is quite common.

Thank you, RuthC! You always answer so politely and without condescension, and it is appreciated! Now if HAL would just assign cabins for the B2B, I would feel ready!

When you arrive at the MDR desk, they will almost always try to "sell" you a shared table. Politely let them know you really want to have a table for two, and you will either get one (or a 4 just used by the 2 of you) or you will have to wait. Up to you to either wait, or go for a share table after all. On some ships they hand out pagers to notify you when the table becomes available.

All the above is of course depending a lot on your favorite dinner time.

Another option is to make a reservation for up to 3 days in advance. They will however not accept reservations in certain time slots.

When you arrive at the MDR desk, they will almost always try to "sell" you a shared table. Politely let them know you really want to have a table for two, and you will either get one (or a 4 just used by the 2 of you) or you will have to wait. Up to you to either wait, or go for a share table after all. On some ships they hand out pagers to notify you when the table becomes available.

All the above is of course depending a lot on your favorite dinner time.

Another option is to make a reservation for up to 3 days in advance. They will however not accept reservations in certain time slots.

The OP very clearly said that they wanted to share a table, not that they wanted a table for 2. As other respondents have said, just ask and you will almost always get a shared table. We have met some very interesting people on shared tables.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We too often share just to meet people and get new ideas and perspectives for future cruises. However on occasion we just want to sit alone, which is why on any cruise line we always go with open seating. (Which ever the cruise line is calling it, Your time, freestyle, ect)

We also enjoy sharing a table at dinner. On one of our Princess cruises--the only one where we could not get traditional dining--we found the lines too long early in the evening and went to dinner later. We usually did not get to the dining room until after 8:30 and one time as late as 9:45. What we found out is that although we were willing to share, the other folks coming in that late were not. So we ended up dining at a table with just the two of us even when they'd seat us at a larger table.

The OP very clearly said that they wanted to share a table, not that they wanted a table for 2. As other respondents have said, just ask and you will almost always get a shared table. We have met some very interesting people on shared tables.

DON

You are correct. I misinterpreted the original post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's funny how often we end up sitting with the same people in open seating. I think many people eat at about the same time every day. We actually prefer an assigned table and the same waiter each night but it was already booked for our next trip. I agree that open seating is a good way to meet people.

We really enjoy tablemates....I would hate to think we'd have to eat alone nightly! We do that every day and night at home! It's fun to have new folks to chat with!

On one HAL cruise we were seated upstairs twice with a couple who had early fixed seating but were abandoned by their tablemates. Of their original tablemates one couple had asked to be seated at another table and one couple ate in the Lido or speciality venues most nights. The couple we ate with were really disappointed because they wanted the shared dining experience.

On one HAL cruise we were seated upstairs twice with a couple who had early fixed seating but were abandoned by their tablemates. Of their original tablemates one couple had asked to be seated at another table and one couple ate in the Lido or speciality venues most nights. The couple we ate with were really disappointed because they wanted the shared dining experience.

:eek: Wow - how can you not take that personally!

You are also asked to share at breakfast in the MDR. Many times we were asked to join another couple at a table for 4. We don't generally like to be seated with just one other couple. We learned to either ask for a larger table or to sit alone at breakfast.

That happens sometimes - but because it doe, they could also ask the maitre 'd to be assigned to a large table with vacancies - which almost always exists after the first day or so.

It's funny how often we end up sitting with the same people in open seating. I think many people eat at about the same time every day. We actually prefer an assigned table and the same waiter each night but it was already booked for our next trip. I agree that open seating is a good way to meet people.

I agree, we are creatures of habit! While we meet a lot of great people doing open, we often seem to sit with some of the same ones as well. It will be interesting on our up coming world cruise as we have open there as well. We might start to get bored with each other :p. Hopefully some just doing segments will bring some new blood.

That happens sometimes - but because it doe, they could also ask the maitre 'd to be assigned to a large table with vacancies - which almost always exists after the first day or so.

It was the first cruise for these people and I don't think they thought about asking to be seated at another table. We honestly enjoyed the two nights we ate with them but the man was a little bit "rough around the ages" and I could see how he might not be a person's choice to eat with for 14 nights. That's why we like open seating. I can eat with anyone for one night that I might not want to eat with for 14 nights as that cruise was or 23'nights on our upcoming cruise.

It was the first cruise for these people and I don't think they thought about asking to be seated at another table. We honestly enjoyed the two nights we ate with them but the man was a little bit "rough around the ages" and I could see how he might not be a person's choice to eat with for 14 nights. That's why we like open seating. I can eat with anyone for one night that I might not want to eat with for 14 nights as that cruise was or 23'nights on our upcoming cruise.

I must confess, we one time were so turned off by a couple that we would look for them in the open seating line and if they were there we would wait a little while :o. One night was enough.