Questions about getting an engagement ring through cruise security quietly!!

Hey there folks! So, my girlfriend and I are taking a cruise to Bermuda next week, and this will be the first cruise I've ever been on. I've purchased an engagement ring and intend to propose at some point on our vacation. I'm assuming the safest place to keep the ring when we check-in, is in my carry on bag. However, I am incredibly worried about security asking to go through my bag and exposing the secret! Obviously, I know not to carry anything bad with me that might prompt a search (I wouldn't anyways). How likely is it that they might search my bag otherwise? Also, as this might make a difference, in order to avoid carrying a bulky ring box, in my pocket, on the island, I've purchased a very small (less than a dime wide and an inch tall) wooden box that the ring sits comfortably in. It closes with two magnets. Is it more likely that my bag will be searched when they see a small wooden box? Can the X-Ray see through the box (hopefully showing them that it is nothing more than a ring, rather than prompting them to pull it out and open it?). I really want to avoid having to drop to my knee in the security line. Any advice is most welcome! Thank you in advance.

I carry my good jewelry in a jewelry bag and have never had a problem. Just wrap it in the wooden box and then wrap in a shirt or somethin and don't worry. The X-ray machine is just like the airlines use and will see it is a ring. In a pocket it might get lost, poor suggestion!!

I carry my good jewelry in a jewelry bag and have never had a problem. Just wrap it in the wooden box and then wrap in a shirt or somethin and don't worry. The X-ray machine is just like the airlines use and will see it is a ring. In a pocket it might get lost, poor suggestion!!

My suggestion was your roll on. Sorry if I didn't get that point across.

I'm with Bob. Pocket. I'm not sure how you lose it from your pocket unless there's a hole in it. If it's a platinum setting should not set off metal detector and it's not like the body scans at the airport.

But in all my years of checking in not once has my carry on been opened.

Breathe in and breathe out. Keep the ring on your person, and it'll be fine. For years we have all read on these boards about people planning surprise engagements, and never once (at least I've never seen) has anyone ever posted that the ring was singled out going through security check points.

Have a great cruise and congratulations!!

I would put it in the larger box, in a bag that stays with you. A very small box, in your pocket, is easy to lose!

I would also bring proof of purchase in US so you do not get stopped by customs on your return.

Edited by marci22

Do not keep it in your pocket if you are going through a body scanner at the airport. It will show up in your pocket, and you will have to take it out for them to clear that area. Just keep it in your carry-on. Make sure you take out your liquids, gels, aerosols and lap-top out of your bag before it goes through the x-ray at the airport, to avoid a search.

It's true...they don't open your carry on unless they see a gun or bomb in there!

I think this addresses a key point, its not quite as active as a TSA screening in the airport. Add in a bottle or flask to this list. If they don't see anything it won't be openly searched. While on your person makes sense, I understand any trepidation about that. If you keep in your bag, don't put anything else suspicious or against the rules in it.

Edited by BillOh

I'm not sure why people think it can't just go through in the carry-on. I carry all my jewelry in a jewelry carrier (cloth) in my carryon and just put it on the conveyor belt and it goes right through. In 20 cruises, we have never been searched or stopped and I carry multiple rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. On the return, she'll be wearing the ring and there is nothing to declare and the CBP officer isn't going to question an engagement ring on her finger. If they do happen to mention the shiny new ring (not likely to happen at all), all you have to say is, I purchased it in the US and took it with me on the cruise to propose. It won't be an issue. I think some are overthinking this.

Edited by BND

My son proposed to his then GF on a cruise. He had the ring in his carry on - no issues. Keep it in a box and possibly in an inside pocket of the carry on. No way would I leave it in my pants pocket! I've seen my husband get pushed back through security to empty his pockets way too frequently to trust that wouldn't happen to you. (And this includes on our recent Serenade cruise.)

Oh...and congratulations!!

We carry our rings in our luggage often - it's usually in a soft pouch though. We have traveled with friends who have proposed with no issues keeping it a secret!

I can't remember ever having a bag searched if it didn't contain contraband!

Enjoy your cruise and best wishes for a memorable engagement and life together!

When DH proposed, he had it in his carry-on, in the ring box (at the bottom of the bag, wrapped in a sock so I wouldn't see it). He admitted that he was nervous they would dump his bag for some bizarre reason, but they didn't even open it (just regular x-ray machine).

Early Congratulations! Enjoy - it's the memory of a lifetime!

Agree with others put it in your carry on. My son in law did this when he proposed to our daughter on a cruise. She couldn't figure out why he was being so protective of the carry on.

BTW congratulations!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You may want to just put it in your wallet, I had carried my wedding ring for years in it. Due to my job I could not wear rings and would always keep it in my wallet. When you go thru the scanners at the airport and forget to put your wallet thru the x'ray they tell you told hold your wallet above your head and it was never an issue for me.

Congratulations:)

How big are the holes in your pockets? :confused:

It's not about it falling through a hole, it's about a very small item possibly falling out at some point during embarkation. I would put it in a bigger box and put it in a carryon.

It's not about it falling through a hole, it's about a very small item possibly falling out at some point during embarkation. I would put it in a bigger box and put it in a carryon.

I'd put it in a small cloth protective pouch and still put it in my pocket. I would not want something so important to be off my person.

Edited by clarea