Questions about getting an engagement ring through cruise security quietly!!

I would definitely carry it on my person, not in a bag unless it never leaves you.

You have to empty everything out of your pockets when you go through the ship's security and scanner. It goes in a little bin just like at the airport. If you carry the ring in your pocket it will have to be placed in that bin. Put in in your carry on.

You have to empty everything out of your pockets when you go through the ship's security and scanner. It goes in a little bin just like at the airport. If you carry the ring in your pocket it will have to be placed in that bin. Put in in your carry on.

I don't have to remove everything from my pockets when I go through security at the cruise terminal. I remove large metal objects such as my cell phone, but not coins or keys or glasses, etc. The cruise terminal metal detector is not like the airport naked scanner.

Edited by clarea

It's true...they don't open your carry on unless they see a gun or bomb in there!

I think this addresses a key point, its not quite as active as a TSA screening in the airport. Add in a bottle or flask to this list. If they don't see anything it won't be openly searched. While on your person makes sense, I understand any trepidation about that. If you keep in your bag, don't put anything else suspicious or against the rules in it.

They don't open your carry on, you do, and they tell you why they want to check something. I've been asked twice to step aside for a hand search. Nothing was dumped, they just wanted to see if my allowed wine was wine and not filled with booze.............it wasn't and I was free to go while DH was patiently waiting.

This happened to me twice, once in Baltimore and once in LA.

My suggestion is to put it (carefully) in a carryon, in a box, in the bottom of the bag just in case for some strange reason GF looks in bag!

If it's in a pocket, you have to empty your pockets as you go through Security and the kitty will be out of the bag.

Congrats in advance!

I'm not sure why people think it can't just go through in the carry-on. I carry all my jewelry in a jewelry carrier (cloth) in my carryon and just put it on the conveyor belt and it goes right through. In 20 cruises, we have never been searched or stopped and I carry multiple rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. On the return, she'll be wearing the ring and there is nothing to declare and the CBP officer isn't going to question an engagement ring on her finger. If they do happen to mention the shiny new ring (not likely to happen at all), all you have to say is, I purchased it in the US and took it with me on the cruise to propose. It won't be an issue. I think some are overthinking this.

My sentiments exactly.

You may want to just put it in your wallet, I had carried my wedding ring for years in it. Due to my job I could not wear rings and would always keep it in my wallet. When you go thru the scanners at the airport and forget to put your wallet thru the x'ray they tell you told hold your wallet above your head and it was never an issue for me.

Congratulations:)

Are you kidding me???? [emoji12]

I don't have to remove everything from my pockets when I go through security at the cruise terminal. I remove large metal objects such as my cell phone, but not coins or keys or glasses, etc. The cruise terminal metal detector is not like the airport naked scanner.

I beg to differ. I have a small silver bracelet that sets off the ship X-ray when I walk through and hubby ALWAYS has to empty coins, wallet , etc out of pockets just like airlines. We have gone out of European ports, USA ports, Canadian, and Caribbean ports, all the same.

I beg to differ. I have a small silver bracelet that sets off the ship X-ray when I walk through and hubby ALWAYS has to empty coins, wallet , etc out of pockets just like airlines. We have gone out of European ports, USA ports, Canadian, and Caribbean ports, all the same.

Your experience is different than mine.

In any case, have you ever had to remove your wedding ring to go though the metal detector? I cannot see that the addition of a ring to a pocket is going to set off the metal detector.

Congratulations!

I agree with others --- don't over-think this. Most of us all have jewellery in our carry-ons both through airport security and through the cruise line security with no issues (regardless if carry-on is a roll-on or backpack-type). I still have it in the carry-on versus my pocket.

Have a great cruise!

Your experience is different than mine.

In any case, have you ever had to remove your wedding ring to go though the metal detector? I cannot see that the addition of a ring to a pocket is going to set off the metal detector.

No bob never the wedding ring. You are right on that point. I am curious what ports and ships you do not have to empty pockets of coins at security as we always do.

How big are the holes in your pockets? :confused:

What you are forgetting is that evil people design clothes these days, I think they follow their customers and scavenge wallets and keys. My jeans have a pocket that the top is almost horizontal to the ground, but many of my dress pants that opening is vertical. Things can easily fall out of those!

Laura has 3 LOVE bracelets, they don't come off. :eek: Big issue at an airport, not even a wink at a cruise terminal. :D

I'd put it somewhere safe in your carry on, security in May at the Med ports and uk was heightened We had to take all jewellery off including bracelets , watches even our shoes not at every port but you didn't know which.I was allowed to keep rings on my fingers though . I set the alarm off and we never found out why but I was searched boarding the ship. I wouldn't take the chance of setting it off and spoiling the surprise.

I personally wouldn't carry something that valuable in your pocket. I would hate for that to fall out, which lets be honest, if you are carrying a small box in your pocket there is a chance of that happening or even worse being uncomfortable. It probably would also be more noticed by your girlfriend. You probably will go through a body scanner, and the scanner will only pick up the metal from the ring or magnet and could set it off and then you would have to take it out of your pocket and expose your "secret". Pack it safely in a carry on bag that you will have on you the entire time and you will be good to go!

I'm not sure why people think it can't just go through in the carry-on. I carry all my jewelry in a jewelry carrier (cloth) in my carryon and just put it on the conveyor belt and it goes right through. In 20 cruises, we have never been searched or stopped and I carry multiple rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. On the return, she'll be wearing the ring and there is nothing to declare and the CBP officer isn't going to question an engagement ring on her finger. If they do happen to mention the shiny new ring (not likely to happen at all), all you have to say is, I purchased it in the US and took it with me on the cruise to propose. It won't be an issue. I think some are overthinking this.

It certainly COULD be an issue. My MIL used to cheat customs all the time, and was LUCKY she was never caught. She just casually wore new stuff home and said it was old. I hope customs is smarter, 30 years later.

A ring doesn't set off the metal detectors unless they are set to "11" (which I've experienced once at LAX, but it still didn't react to my rings). Put it in a soft pouch and there's really no need to worry.

But I, a big proponent of not-totally-surprise proposals (the biggest decision of a person's life with an expensive piece of forever-jewelry and we like to surprise people with it??), say to propose ahead of time so she can spend the ENTIRE cruise as an engaged person.

Or like someone said, do it while in the security line. You'll be "that guy" the whole cruise!!!

First -- best wishes to you and your girlfriend!

Second -- however you end up carrying the ring through security -- make sure it is insured before you leave home!

That way if it is lost, you won't find yourself having to pay for a replacement. If you and your girlfriend live together, contact your homeowners or renters insurance company about adding it to your coverage. If you don't live together, you can go through a company that specializes in covering jewelry like Jewelers Mutual at least for now (if you and your GF don't live together, she will have to cover it under her homeowners or renters policy). Jewelers may be more expensive than your HO/Renters insurer, but at least you won't have to worry.

When my then-fiancé proposed, he wouldn't let me wear the ring out of the house until we had the coverage documents in-hand.

It certainly COULD be an issue. My MIL used to cheat customs all the time, and was LUCKY she was never caught. She just casually wore new stuff home and said it was old. I hope customs is smarter, 30 years later.

A ring doesn't set off the metal detectors unless they are set to "11" (which I've experienced once at LAX, but it still didn't react to my rings). Put it in a soft pouch and there's really no need to worry.

But I, a big proponent of not-totally-surprise proposals (the biggest decision of a person's life with an expensive piece of forever-jewelry and we like to surprise people with it??), say to propose ahead of time so she can spend the ENTIRE cruise as an engaged person.

Or like someone said, do it while in the security line. You'll be "that guy" the whole cruise!!!

Except it's not an issue if he's telling the truth, now is it? A couple of times, CPB have asked if the jewelry we bought and claimed is what I have on, but beyond that, nada. What they usually ask is if you bought cigarettes or alcohol. Regardless, he has no reason in the world to worry over a piece of jewelry that she will be wearing off the ship. And, getting on, they won't blink an eye at any jewelry you bring with you. Once again, overthinking and not looking at this in a realistic manner.

I personally know a CPB officer and their concern is large amounts of cash, drugs, items not allowed by US law and stolen items. I wear and carry my good jewelry on cruises and have never been questioned about something I'm wearing. Of course, we always claim anything we purchase.

Also, if he wants to propose on the cruise instead of before, it's no one's business.

Edited by BND

Except it's not an issue if he's telling the truth, now is it? A couple of times, CPB have asked if the jewelry we bought and claimed is what I have on, but beyond that, nada. What they usually ask is if you bought cigarettes or alcohol. Regardless, he has no reason in the world to worry over a piece of jewelry that she will be wearing off the ship. And, getting on, they won't blink an eye at any jewelry you bring with you. Once again, overthinking and not looking at this in a realistic manner.

I personally know a CPB officer and their concern is large amounts of cash, drugs, items not allowed by US law and stolen items. I wear and carry my good jewelry on cruises and have never been questioned about something I'm wearing. Of course, we always claim anything we purchase.

Also, if he wants to propose on the cruise instead of before, it's no one's business.

I got questioned about my watch once. The agent asked to see the clasp. He was looking for wear.