Questions about getting an engagement ring through cruise security quietly!!

My husband carried mine in his carry on. I was wondering why he was so attached to it going through security and during the flight. He keep looking at it like it was going to disappear.

But, it was a wonderful surprise.

Congrats.

I'd put it in a small cloth protective pouch and still put it in my pocket. I would not want something so important to be off my person.

Bob I might trust you but all other men should put it in a good box in their carry on that stays on their shoulder.

You might be required to take it out of your pocket at some time to enter. I believe (memory problems lol) we had to remove all items in our pockets on our last cruise in May.

Guess Bob ( Clarea) is the only person that doesn't have to remove coins etc from his pockets!!!![emoji12][emoji848][emoji13][emoji847]

Edited by gagirl7143

Guess Bob ( Clarea) is the only person that doesn't have to remove coins etc from his pockets!!!

It depends on the number of coins - sure, if you have enough coins in your pocket to create a bulge and weigh down your pants, the walk through metal detector (and security personnel) might detect that. The security personnel ask you to remove everything from your pockets to ease their jobs (since people forget stuff like phones and other large objects with enough metal in them to set off the detector) - not because they really want everything out of your pockets. If you've done the routine at the airport a few times you already know how much stuff you can leave in your pockets (and not set off the detector). The body scanners are another matter, but I have yet to hear of one those at a cruise port.

Seeing as this is your first cruise, you haven't experienced security checks at ports. We're not exactly talking TSA at the airport here!:cool:

You don't need to take off your shoes, you don't need to take anything out. The metal detectors are much less sensitive than those at the airport. I have never had them open my bag at all. Just put it through and you'll be fine.

On the off chance that they do search it, it's not like the pull everything out and hold it up on display. They unzip the bag, poke around inside and move on.

Probably only if they see a gun. If they see a bomb, they won't bother, they'll just run.

I had mine searched once because they saw a corkscrew on the X-ray.

Funny thing was that the confiscated it, even though it was the same corkscrew they provide you on the ship if you get wine sent to your cabin. (Which was how I got it in the first place.)

Funny thing was that the confiscated it, even though it was the same corkscrew they provide you on the ship if you get wine sent to your cabin. (Which was how I got it in the first place.)

That is so Royal Caribbeanish.

I went through the same thoughts and anxiety over this same question about 12 years ago when I proposed to my now wife on a cruise. What I did was hollowed out the inside of a book and put the ring in there. Then I wrapped it as a gift and kept it in my carry on luggage. It went through the x-ray machine without issue and never heard anything about it from security. It may all depend on security but they probably see these things all the time.

WOW, I was expecting to log back in and find one or two responses! THank you so much for the input, everyone! I think I've decided I'm just going to take it out of the wooden box and stash both, seperately, in my carry on. I think most of you are probably correct in that they won't care about a ring, and just in case they care about the box (its small enough to stash drugs, I guess), they won't be completely blowing the surprise.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. We are both in our thirties and have been through the ringer with various ex's over the years. We've discussed marriage many times and there is no doubt in my mind that she will say yes! I'll keep ya'll posted either way though. So excited for the trip. Fingers crossed for no rain!! Haha:D

Hey everyone! Just got back home from the cruise! What a fantastic time we had. Getting through security was easier than I could have hoped for. I left the ring in the wooden box, in my bag. It went through the x-ray and was back in my hand within seconds. No one seemed to care at all! What a relief. Oh yea, she said YES!!!! I dropped to my knee at the top of the cliff at Astwood Park in Bermuda. What an absolutely beautiful place. Even though there were two cruise ships in port, we were the only two people at the park! Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement!!!!:)

Hey everyone! Just got back home from the cruise! What a fantastic time we had. Getting through security was easier than I could have hoped for. I left the ring in the wooden box, in my bag. It went through the x-ray and was back in my hand within seconds. No one seemed to care at all! What a relief. Oh yea, she said YES!!!! I dropped to my knee at the top of the cliff at Astwood Park in Bermuda. What an absolutely beautiful place. Even though there were two cruise ships in port, we were the only two people at the park! Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement!!!!:)

But what about the cruise?

j/k, congratulations! Glad it all worked out OK.

I hope everyone who posted on here reads this. Congratulations!!

That brought Happy Tears to my eyes (I'm a sap, what can I say):).

Congratulations!

Nothing but the best to you and your future bride. You'll certainly have a great place to visit in Bermuda over the years!! Congrats...

Oh I'm so happy to read this today! So glad you came back to tell us all about it. Wishing you many happy years together!