South Beach

mufc99

We will be staying 2 nights in South Beach after our cruise next year.

On the full day we have there, we will probably just walk from one end to the other.

Any recommendations of which street to start and where to finish?

Dont want to keep walking if there isn't much worth seeing! :-)

Not too bothered about going on the beach - we have a beach where we live.

Are then any must do's at South Beach whilst there?

We will be staying 2 nights in South Beach after our cruise next year.

On the full day we have there, we will probably just walk from one end to the other.

Any recommendations of which street to start and where to finish?

Dont want to keep walking if there isn't much worth seeing! :-)

Not too bothered about going on the beach - we have a beach where we live.

Are then any must do's at South Beach whilst there?

Where are you staying? We've stayed twice, and have walked up and down Ocean Drive. The pretty Art Deco hotels are there, and lots of bars and restaurants (pretty raucous). Collins Avenue has shopping, and some more restaurants--we like a particular Cuban place, a diner really, called Puerto Sagua. Not much to see really except the architecture, just atmosphere to soak up. Pretty bizarre place.

Even if you live on a beach (and we do, just north of Fort Lauderdale), make sure you walk (or rent bikes or rollerblades) along the Miami Beach boardwalk. The beach is gorgeous and many of the hotels along the beach are interesting. If you are interested in Art Deco architecture (or discover you are once you arrive) there are a number of walking tours. Check out TripAdvisor for recommendations.

Other things to do: check out

TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g34439-Activities-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

Miami Tourism Site: http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/things-to-do

Just google things to see in Miami Beach for more results.

Edited by capriccio

The Miami Design Preservation League (the people who saved South Beach) offer a walking Deco tour.

Take that before you do anything else.

http://www.mdpl.org/tours/guided-walking-tours/

BlueHerons - I want to thank you for this recommendation. Our son is is having a destination wedding in South Beach in November and I suggested they share this with the guests since everyone will be staying for 3 or 4 days right in the Art Deco district. DH and I will certainly be doing it if only to get away from some of the wedding prep chaos!

BlueHerons - I want to thank you for this recommendation. Our son is is having a destination wedding in South Beach in November and I suggested they share this with the guests since everyone will be staying for 3 or 4 days right in the Art Deco district. DH and I will certainly be doing it if only to get away from some of the wedding prep chaos!

So happy to help! What a gorgeous time of year for a wedding!

Thanks for the info!

We'll be staying at the Essex.

We will check out some of the recommendations.

Think my wife wanted to check out some of the Dexter locations! :-)

I think most of Dexter is filmed in LA.

All of CSI Miami is filmed in LA except for the opening and closing scenes.

Only things filmed here that aren't Latin American are Graceland, Burn Notice (off the air for three years), and Ballers.

My husband actually had a part in Ballers a couple of weeks ago.

After my last cruise, I had some time to kill before my flight... I took the public bus out to the Bay Harbor islands and found Dexter's apartment. There are no trespassing signs everywhere and the area is heavily patrolled by the Bay Harbor police. You can't really see inside the complex without trespassing on the property. I even asked a local police officer if it would be cool to walk back and snap a couple of pictures, but it was a no go...

Pretty sad....but we found a map of some of the Miami film locations! :-)

http://www.seeing-stars.com/dexter/DexterMap-Miami.shtml

Pretty sad....but we found a map of some of the Miami film locations! :-)

http://www.seeing-stars.com/dexter/DexterMap-Miami.shtml

Just for the heck of it, I looked up some of those locations and I would stick to the sights that are in South Beach. Some of the mainland areas are either very sketchy or difficult to get to/defunct (Jimbos for one).

One last ask on South Beach.

With it being a flying visit, with us walking from one end to the other - are any of the side streets off Ocean Drive worth a look?

Would hate to miss something, be it a cool bar, smart coffee lounge, interesting shops, etc!

One last ask on South Beach.

With it being a flying visit, with us walking from one end to the other - are any of the side streets off Ocean Drive worth a look?

Would hate to miss something, be it a cool bar, smart coffee lounge, interesting shops, etc!

A great little gem is La Sandwicherie, a French sandwich, smoothie, and salad place, more of a walk up counter service, with a few stools, but their sandwiches are awesome. It's on a side street, I think on 14th Street, between Washington & Collins.

Across the street from La Sandwicherie is Club Deuce, total dive bar, but a staple for locals.

Check out Española Way (side street off Washington Ave).

An area less frequented by tourists is over on the west side of South Beach, off of West Ave. On Purdy Ave, there is Purdy Lounge, and a wonderful Italian restaurant, Sardinia.

Monty's at the Miami Beach Marina is a great place for happy hour.

Watch the sunset from the Mondrian hotel.

There are some other interesting little places in the south of 5th neighborhood, so be sure to spend some time there. One is the Big Pink, a great breakfast and lunch spot. Smith & Wollensky is at South Pointe Park and a fun place to watch the ships sail out of the cut.

Edited by brunello22

A great little gem is La Sandwicherie, a French sandwich, smoothie, and salad place, more of a walk up counter service, with a few stools, but their sandwiches are awesome. It's on a side street, I think on 14th Street, between Washington & Collins.

Across the street from La Sandwicherie is Club Deuce, total dive bar, but a staple for locals.

Check out Española Way (side street off Washington Ave).

An area less frequented by tourists is over on the west side of South Beach, off of West Ave. On Purdy Ave, there is Purdy Lounge, and a wonderful Italian restaurant, Sardinia.

Monty's at the Miami Beach Marina is a great place for happy hour.

Watch the sunset from the Mondrian hotel.

There are some other interesting little places in the south of 5th neighborhood, so be sure to spend some time there. One is the Big Pink, a great breakfast and lunch spot. Smith & Wollensky is at South Pointe Park and a fun place to watch the ships sail out of the cut.

Really great advice.

My favorite Cuban restaurant, Havana 1957 in on Espanola Way (they also have one on Lincoln Road and one on Ocean Drive).

The Deuce is a must stop for a beer. Happy Hour from 10am-7PM (it only closes for 4am to 6am) and make sure you go as its days may be numbered as its owner, Mac just passed away at 101. He was still bartending there up until he died.