Trivia...Love Boat ended as scrap...

WINEMANVISALIA

Princess Cruise Line's Pacific Princess; started live in 1971 as 'Sea Venture' for Flagship Cruises. In 1975 she went to the then brand spanking new Princess Cruise Line and became their 'Pacific Princess' and in 1976 became "the Love Boat" on the TV series. She stayed with Princess until 2002 when another ship, taken over from bankrupt Renaissance Cruises, became the new Pacific Princess.

In 2002, the 'old' Pacific Princess wound up at Spain's Cruceros Pullmantur as just 'Pacific', coupled with periods of charter to Brazil's Viagens CVC. In June 2008, she went to Spain's Quail Cruises, still as 'Pacific'. In November 2008, she arrived at the San Giorgio Del Porto Shipyard in Genoa, Italy for a dry-dock however, after financing problems developed, was promptly "arrested" by Italian authorities. In March 2012, she was sold to Turkish shipbreakers for scrap and given the new name 'Acif'. She arrived under tow at Aliaga, Turkey in August 2013 where she was broken up (see below)

loveboat.jpg.5d1a2ec7dbb5e0f1b92193ae7d941e96.jpg

loveboat2.jpg.fc0171e7e4b7e23054ad16da8011acc9.jpg

Kind of sad to see her listed over like that, ready for the scrap yard. :( Awhile back someone posted a link that showed various pictures of when she was in her prime juxtaposed with the same shot angle after she was worn out and abandoned. They were very interesting pictures - wish I would have saved the link.

Edited by 4hunters

Kind of sad to see her listed over like that, ready for the scrap yard. :( Awhile back someone posted a link that showed various pictures of when she was in her prime juxtaposed with the same shot angle after she was worn out and abandoned. They were very interesting pictures - wish I would have saved the link.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/01/29/cruise-ship-tour-love-boat/5011661/

Very sad as a past passenger on her I can most if details. It was fun as she was so small and provided a great cruise experience

Just wondering...how close to reality was the TV show in showing the ship?

I know the cabins couldn't have been anything like what they showed on TV, but how about the rest of the ship.

Hi,

I was a fan of the show and cruised aboard the original Pacific Princess in May 2002 (during its final season with Princess). Even though the ship was old at the time (and small by current standards), it was still a very nice ship. My stateroom was very small (nothing like the stateroom sets used on the series). The real ship did have the lobby with the winding staircase and the Lido Deck with the circular pools (however, the real versions were not as large as the sets usually used for the series). The series generally was filmed on sets in Los Angeles, but some of the episodes were actually filmed aboard the ship. It is fairly easy to tell the difference between the actual ship and the sets.

Chuck

Hi,

I was a fan of the show and cruised aboard the original Pacific Princess in May 2002 (during its final season with Princess). Even though the ship was old at the time (and small by current standards), it was still a very nice ship. My stateroom was very small (nothing like the stateroom sets used on the series). The real ship did have the lobby with the winding staircase and the Lido Deck with the circular pools (however, the real versions were not as large as the sets usually used for the series). The series generally was filmed on sets in Los Angeles, but some of the episodes were actually filmed aboard the ship. It is fairly easy to tell the difference between the actual ship and the sets.

Chuck

Interesting...I'll have to watch for the differences.

My family boarded the Pacific Princess in San Francisco back in 1978. We were seeing my Great Grandma and other family off on an Alaskan cruise. I was a young boy at the time. I remember it well. It was huge. My biggest disappointment that day was when I discovered the pools were all empty. I actually wore my swimming trunks under my pants hoping to sneak off for a dip in a pool during our visit. Back then, visitors got to board the ship. That was it. No fee, no photo, no food and clearly no water in any of the pools.

I saw the shows dreaming of a time when I would be able to go on a cruise. Little did I realize that I would be going on Princess as my primary cruise line. My first cruise I was disappointed when I saw our cabin and the hallways. The cabin was so small compared to what I saw on TV and the hallways were very narrow! Imagine it not looking like what I saw on TV. :rolleyes: I am sorry that I never was able to see the Love Boat before its demise. Like everything however the ship had to come to an end. :(

Hi,

Chuck

The ship's lobby with the winding staircase was inside the ship on Fiesta deck & not like on the TV series at the gangway.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/MS-Pacific-Princess-Deck-Plan.jpg

I sailed on her in 1996 and it remains one of my favorite cruises. We sailed from Hawaii to Ensenada and had to take a bus to San Diego to fly home. It's much easier to do a Hawaii cruise on Princess now.

Guess that was a regular itinerary...in 1992 we sailed the opposite direction taking a bus from SD to Ensenada and then 5 days to Honolulu.

Edited by Astro Flyer