Dress Code

As someone who follows the dress code (on both formal and non-formal nights), I can understand why many choose to ignore the formal night requests. Packing a suit is a hassle, who wants to wear a tie, etc. I can understand that.

I don't really understand why people won't honor the non-formal night dress code. A golf shirt and a pair of khakis is not asking too much.

and to stave off any protests about them going through growth spurts and whatnot so not wanting to waste money on something they will never wear again:

two words:

THRIFT STORES. for under $10 you can get a pair of khakis or Dockers in a neutral color and pair it with different polo shirts or other shirts with a collar.

at 16 they are starting to look at things like after school jobs, college scouting trips and impressing the ladies. now is the PERFECT time to teach them how to dress like adults and who to make that first impression be a good one.

Seriously these topics are childish. Dress code and dress expectations in society are everywhere. Parents - teach your children what that means, because at 16, he will soon be working, and he will have expectations. For young kids, follow the dress code. Is it really that hard to look presentable for dinner?

Most people on the ship, will follow the dress code. Most kids will also follow the dress code. Just like other places, their will be adults and kids, who will feel that it's not for them.

My husband makes it his challenge to try to go into the MDR via MTD in shorts and a button down short sleeve shirt. He has succeeded about 50% of the time. When he gets turned away he tries to sneak in the other door. If he gets turned away again then he run to the room to put his slacks on!

I can't believe he has succeeded only 50% of the time. I've seen shorts in the dining rooms every time I've cruised.

Wow' date=' after reading through this thread about wearing shorts, will I be over-dressed if I "dress up" most nights with maxi-dresses and bling? Most of the time, we cruise on Celebrity which I guess tends to be dressier.

Thanks![/quote']

There is no such thing as over dressed IMO. :)

Didnt Celebrity just relax their dress code and change the name of formal night within the last year though?

Edited by ryano

Wow' date=' after reading through this thread about wearing shorts, will I be over-dressed if I "dress up" most nights with maxi-dresses and bling? Most of the time, we cruise on Celebrity which I guess tends to be dressier.

Thanks![/quote']

You will not be overdressed, unless you are aiming to be in the bottom 5%. I think the vast majority of cruisers appreciate the ambiance of the MDR, and dress appropriately.

Edited by Goes Cruising

There is no such thing as over dressed IMO. :)

Didnt Celebrity just relax their dress code and change the name of formal night within the last year though?

Thanks, that's great! And yes, Celebrity recently relaxed their formal night to "evening chic" but the majority still "dress up." We were just on the Equinox in March, still quite a few tuxes, suits, sportcoats and ties, cocktail dresses..... Not so many gowns.

We were just on the Equinox in March' date=' still quite a few tuxes, suits, sportcoats and ties, cocktail dresses..... Not so many gowns.[/quote']

I think you will find much the same on RC. Not so many tuxes and gowns but lots of suits and cocktail type dresses. The majority make an attempt I find.

I think you will find much the same on RC. Not so many tuxes and gowns but lots of suits and cocktail type dresses. The majority make an attempt I find.

So happy to hear that, Ryano! I don't get a chance to wear the bling much at home, and DH doesn't wear a suit to work because he is a contractor. We both enjoy the elegance!

Happy Cruisen'

Susan

What would he wear for a summer job interview? Or a college interview? I live in Maine, so long pants are necessary because of weather for at least 7 months a year, but I do understand that there are places that weather does not dictate long pants. He will need them, however, for events coming up as he approaches adulthood. This is a great time for him to practice wearing clothes appropriate for the occasion.

Well said

Unless you are on a ship on which you can't.

That is the problem and why people ask these questions. RC needs to come out with realistic guidelines that are not 20 years old and enforce them or not.

That is the problem and why people ask these questions. RC needs to come out with realistic guidelines that are not 20 years old and enforce them or not.

Very, very true. I would like shorts to be accepted and written into the dress recommendations, especially for warm weather cruises. And it is unfortunate that so many posters state with certainty that shorts will be allowed. Without knowing the specific ship, the answer can be no better than "probably." Those ships that do not allow shorts seem to be in the minority, but they do exist.

But if the OP is sailing one of those ships and her son gets turned away, I guess it would be wise to print the posted guarantees that shorts are always allowed and show them to the maitre d' and hotel director.

Wear what makes you look pretty/handsome and comfortable.

Maxi dresses every night is OK.

You will NOT be overdressed.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Maxi dresses are actually very low maintenance, easy to pack, no brainers!! I can wear one, 2-3 evenings with different accessories. Works for me!

I appreciate the reassurance!

I would like shorts to be accepted and written into the dress recommendations, especially for warm weather cruises. And it is unfortunate that so many posters state with certainty that shorts will be allowed. Without knowing the specific ship, the answer can be no better than "probably." Those ships that do not allow shorts seem to be in the minority, but they do exist.

Grandeur is one of those ships; I know from personal experience, having been turned away from dinner in the MDR.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50153258&postcount=15

Basketball shorts are inappropriate. Belted dressy shorts barely pass muster.

And yet I saw them in CK one night.

I was on one cruise where the adult males wore basketball shorts/tops to formal night.

This is why some of us are cynical about dress code enforcement.

It amazes me at how many people think that rules do not apply to them and try to make excuses to get around them. Wear shorts in the WJ, dress nicely in MDR.

Go for the bling on formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by gagirl7143

and to stave off any protests about them going through growth spurts and whatnot so not wanting to waste money on something they will never wear again:

two words:

THRIFT STORES.

----------------------------

Amen. That goes whether you are 8 to 80. We took my dad and step-mom on a cruise for Dad's 80th. He's a farmer and doesn't wear suits. My step-mom went to the local thrift shop and found a beautiful suit for him...and it even had the tags still on it - had not been worn! He had a fantastic cruise and looked like a million bucks - but on a dime. He did joke however that he'll probably not wear it again until his "final journey." But in all seriousness -- it isn't that hard to find something nice yet inexpensive.

I was on one cruise where the adult males wore basketball shorts/tops to formal night.

Saw the same on Freedom last year. On formal night. They actually looked like they had just came straight from the basketball court. I dont normally notice stuff like this but when they are at the table right beside you and they show up 20 minutes late, its hard not to notice :)

Edited by ryano

Saw the same on Freedom last year. On formal night. They actually looked like they had just came straight from the basketball court. I dont normally notice stuff like this but when they are at the table right beside you and they show up 20 minutes late, its hard not to notice :)

My question though is why do people care? They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. If they are not being rude and disruptive, why does what they wear affect your vacation?

My question though is why do people care? They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. If they are not being rude and disruptive, why does what they wear affect your vacation?

I agree but basketball shorts are beyond anything I would wear. I will look nice enough in the dining room but I don't care what anyone else is wearing. Now if they smell like they just came from the basketball court then I would care.