Celebrity Trying To Pull a Fast One!

jewlrybabe

Hi to all!

Has anyone else run into this problem? You look at the web site and say that's a great deal!! (say 565.00 pp).

You go along and order a drink package and $300.00 OBC

Next page your cost goes to $950.00 PP. They have nothing listed to warn you. So you will pay through the nose. For perks that before were complimentarily.

Big Bate & Switch going on.

Hi Jewlrybabe,

What I believe is happening, is that the lower price you're seeing is a resident or Senior rate. When you proceed, it's taking you to the "standard" rate - which generally includes a perk or two as you mentioned. If I'm correct about this, and you want the lower rate, you probably will not get the onboard credit or drink package.

It's definitely not a bait and switch, but more the result of various promos and pricing... and, a lousy booking engine on the website. I have not made an online Celebrity booking in years. I highly recommend calling 800-760-0654, and speak with a Celebrity rep directly.

Hope it all works out for you. Good Luck !

Just went to the Celebrity site for this cruise.

INSIDE cabin is $509, no perks, Big, Better, Best never applied to Inside Cabins.

If you buy the drink package and the OBC it comes to $934/person.

Ocean View cabin is $932, pick your TWO perks, and it is still $932.

Sorry, I don't see the bait and switch.?.

Edited by bookitdanno

March 27 2017 to April 1 2017

5 night sailing from sju

Lowest price I'm seeing is 509 pp, for a deck 2 inside cabin... but that does not include port charges, taxes etc

Hi Jewlrybabe,

What I believe is happening, is that the lower price you're seeing is a resident or Senior rate. When you proceed, it's taking you to the "standard" rate - which generally includes a perk or two as you mentioned. If I'm correct about this, and you want the lower rate, you probably will not get the onboard credit or drink package.

It's definitely not a bait and switch, but more the result of various promos and pricing... and, a lousy booking engine on the website. I have not made an online Celebrity booking in years. I highly recommend calling 800-760-0654, and speak with a Celebrity rep directly.

Hope it all works out for you. Good Luck !

When I put in the 55+ the rate for an inside drops to $459 PP. I don't see an offer for an inside w/ free extras.

I think it's what I said earlier. There's a 569 pp Oceanview resident rate for certain states, but discounted rates do not include the 2 perks. If you want the 2 perks included, it's 932 pp for the "Go Better" Oceanview cabin.

Hope this helps.

When I put in the 55+ the rate for an inside drops to $459 PP. I don't see an offer for an inside w/ free extras.

There wont be an offer with extras for inside cabins. In most cases, the extras are for Oceanview and above.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi to all!

Has anyone else run into this problem? You look at the web site and say that's a great deal!! (say 565.00 pp).

Next page your cost goes to $950.00 PP. They have nothing listed to warn you. So you will pay through the nose. For perks that before were complimentarily.

I think what is confusing to me is the comments about the purchase of the drink package and OBC along with the cabin.

I looked at the pricing and the closest I can see is the inside cabin for $509. However, the inside cabin does not qualify for the additional perks. In other words, if you purchase an inside cabin and a drinks package, you have to pay extra for the drinks package. If however, you book an oceanview cabin on that sailing, starting at about $930, included in that price are two perks.

I think if you look at the website, you'll see above the pricing for each category "except the inside category", the comment that indicates a special offer.

Wow. I read the original post, did my research, and posted a response, and when I go back to see it, there are like two dozen other posts (okay, an maybe a couple less) with the same explanation.

Edited by Bobby Dee

Just went to the Celebrity site for this cruise.

I AM NOT LOOKING AT AN INSIDE!! I AM NOT STUPID INSIDE cabin is $509, no perks, Big, Better, Best never applied to Inside Cabins.(I AM NOT LOOKING AT A INSIDE!!!!)

If you buy the drink package and the OBC it comes to $934/person.

Ocean View cabin is $932, pick your TWO perks, and it is still $932.

Sorry, I don't see the bait and switch.?.

Look at the front page on their website it says $569.00 that is what the front says

Look at the front page on their website it says $569.00 that is what the front says

Please post the url of "the front page," since many of us may not know which front page you are referring to. Many people want to help you out. Thanks.

Edited by emileg

Sorry, I cannot reproduce this issue on my system. Also, I Am not seeing that fare, at least for the 27 March 2016 sailing.

The least expensive fare being shown to me is an inside $509/pp before taxes and fees, then upon selecting that, I receive a fare of $509/pp.

This does not mean that if I check later, something different will be shown. As per other recent threads, X's fares are fluid.

I recommend the OP ring up X to secure that pricing, if they want it, if it is still available. Or if a TA is used, they may be able to secure the fare, BUT if it is an inside cabin there are no perks as described, being offered as I can see.

Rarely are there for inside cabins.

bon voyage

Hi to all!

Maybe it is not the 'official' X website you are using?

bon voyage

I've seen it on numerous instances especially if you are logged in and select the Qualify for Special Offers - You will usually see a special green sticky off the first screen over the price of the cabin.

Example - play with Reflections Dec 17 Ocean View listed at $799 - Choose Ocean View from the main search page - Choose Ocean View and the next screen is Go Better Selection for 2 free perks - but the price went up to $1,399. No if you want to force it to give you the $799 under the Teal Select button there is a link "I would like to keep my current discount". If you choose this option you will get the Residential Rate - $799 but no perks.

Now the interesting part of this cruise is - the price of the Veranda is the same as the OV - meaning it is a free upgrade you pick the highest level cabin for the same price. Even more interesting is they have a promo where Concierge is $20 cheaper than the OV and Veranda - One should choose the Concierge room.

I use to work as on on-line advocate for Celebrity before they dumped the trial. We saw it all the time and customers would really get pissed at us until we tried to explain it to them.

I am guessing for the last 9 months or more you could get the lowest level fares by bypassing the Big/Bigger/Best promotions. Quite honestly the Big/Bigger prices provided a good rate of return on the added cost but only if you really wanted those perks. (I personally could never see good value for money in the Best category.) If not why pay even a little more for perks you do not want?

Furthermore, unlike other cruise lines (are you listening NCL?), you have not had to pay an additional 18% tip surcharge for these "free perks" at final payment deadline. X needs to be thanked for that among other advantages they offer.

What they are doing now ahead of the big Labor Day sale is another story; it is called "marketing" and active Cruise Critic posters understand what this is all about. If you do not like it vote with your pocketbook, or alternately, use it to your advantage.:)