Passports?

We're planning a cruise for Halloween next year on the sunshine. I see people always talking about passports. However the carnival agent said all we needed was our drivers license or photo id andmour birth certificates. Does anyone know if this is ok or not? We don't have passports and I don't even know what they cost or how to go about getting them or how long it takes. I just don't want any surprises or problems during the vacation so I would like to get this squared away beforehand. Thanks.

No. Any round trip cruise in the Caribbean region is fine.

Awesome! Thanks

DH has misplaced his passport when we moved :(. It's around here somewhere, but it's nice to know we have a fall-back if it doesn't turn up before we cruise!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Wow you certainly brought up a controversial topic! Everyone has an opinion on this issue.

Ok so while Its true you "technically" don't need passports for closed-loop cruises ... MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISS THE SHIP and get stuck in a foreign port!

Because if you find yourself stranded in, say, Cozumel, and you DON'T have your passport WITH YOU (or don't have one at all) - It will be difficult for you to get back into the USA. It will most likely take SEVERAL DAYS and you will be responsible for your own travel and lodging while staying in Cozumel.

Also, if you don't have a passport, then your only option will be to RETURN TO THE USA, after several days of being stranded, you will not be able to "fly to the next island" and catch up with the ship.

If you DO have a passport, and HAVE IT WITH YOU (and don't leave it in the safe onboard the ship), then you have the option to IMMEDAITELY fly to the next port island an meet the ship and re-board.

So, yes, it's true you don't need a passport as long as you make sure to not get stranded on a foreign island.

SO think of a passport like insurance.

Hope this helps!

There is a current thread about travel insurance, read the horrors. I will say the same thing I said about travel insurance, NEVER leave the USA without a passport. Too many things can happen, think kidney stone, appendix, or any hospitalization and you are royally screwed without a passport.

Wow you certainly brought up a controversial topic! Everyone has an opinion on this issue.

This topic always gets people riled up. We have passports since we travel a lot to Cancun or Aruba. We are also going on a European trip this week. So we will always have a passport. If this is a single trip on a closed loop US based cruise, then you can forego the passport. For a family of four, the $500 can be put to other uses.

As of right now if the cruise begins and ends in the same spot and it is in the Caribbean a pp isn't needed.

We just got ours for an upcoming cruise. I think it was about $110 plus a $25 processing fee per pp. They came in less than 3 weeks. Although, you don't need one for a Caribbean cruise leaving out of the US, it good to have it. If you have an emergency while on one of the islands you will not be able to fly home without

a pp.

Edited by khewston

There is a current thread about travel insurance, read the horrors. I will say the same thing I said about travel insurance, NEVER leave the USA without a passport. Too many things can happen, think kidney stone, appendix, or any hospitalization and you are royally screwed without a passport.

Well my appendix and gallbladder are already gone so we're good on that front lol. But I understand what you mean.

We're planning a cruise for Halloween next year on the sunshine. I see people always talking about passports. However the carnival agent said all we needed was our drivers license or photo id andmour birth certificates. Does anyone know if this is ok or not? We don't have passports and I don't even know what they cost or how to go about getting them or how long it takes. I just don't want any surprises or problems during the vacation so I would like to get this squared away beforehand. Thanks.

As said above, a hot topic for sure.

Some will say to bring a pp...then tell you to lock it in your cabin safe when you go ashore.

Some will say to bring a pp...then tell you to make a copy of it and bring that with you when you go ashore and leave the original in the cabin safe.

Others will say to bring a pp and keep the original with you at all times when ashore.

Of the above three...only the third one makes any sense.

Me? I say roll with the photo ID and birth certificate.

But what did I do? We got passport cards for everyone when my kids were 11 and 13. While many will say they are worthless but they do allow you to use the passport line when you return to the US and serve as a government issued photo ID. I liked having that for my kids who did not have a DL..not only on the cruise but for using as an ID for other things. And my wife was born overseas and has a naturalization certificate...and those you absolutely do not want to lose. You think a PP is a hassle...try getting one of those replaced (hundreds of dollars and 9-12 months).

I think when my youngest turns 18, we will get pp's for the entire family.

Or killed in an accident on an excursion.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/02/articles/excursions/carnival-passenger-dies-during-snuba-excursion-in-st-kitts/

While the story is extremely sad, I'll just point out (in case you didn't know) that particular individual running that website is the cruise line equivalent of an ambulance chaser.

If the person who died was just some random person who wasn't on a cruise ship, I doubt that it would have even hit his radar.

If you have government issued photo ID and government issued birth certificates, that is all you need for a cruise starting and ending in a U.S. port. Here's he link to CCL's ID requirements:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3MjQxOTMwMC9zaWQvaTYxV21lWm0%3D#Birth_Certificate

The above link gives detailed and accurate descriptions of the legal documentation required for your cruise. If you decide to go beyond the minimum requirements and get passports, just google "how to get a passport" and all will be revealed.

Lets try and take the emotion and bias out of the OP's question. Currently, if you take a "closed loop" cruise (which begins and ends in the same US port) to most ports in the Caribbean or Mexico...you do not legally need to have a Passport. At a minimum you need a birth certificate (you should check on the technical requirements for this document) and a government issued Photo ID. Assuming that all does well and your birth certificate passes muster (not all do) you will be fine...unless there is some kind of unusual situation that leaves you off the ship at one of the ports. Such issues could be a medical emergency, missing the ship, etc. If that were to happen, and you do not have a valid Passport, there will be delays and extra costs involved in getting your home. Bottom line is that the best document to have for any international travel is a valid Passport...but there is the legal exception for US Citizens on closed-loop cruises.

We will emphasize that not all Birth Certificates meet the requirements (we have actually seen a couple turned away from a cruise in Ft Lauderdale...because they did not have the proper birth certificates). So if you choose to use a Birth Certificate as your documentation...be absolutely sure to check the current requirements. We cannot stress this issue too much.

Hank

Ok so while Its true you "technically" don't need passports for closed-loop cruises ... MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISS THE SHIP and get stuck in a foreign port!

Because if you find yourself stranded in, say, Cozumel, and you DON'T have your passport WITH YOU (or don't have one at all) - It will be difficult for you to get back into the USA. It will most likely take SEVERAL DAYS and you will be responsible for your own travel and lodging while staying in Cozumel.

Also, if you don't have a passport, then your only option will be to RETURN TO THE USA, after several days of being stranded, you will not be able to "fly to the next island" and catch up with the ship.

If you DO have a passport, and HAVE IT WITH YOU (and don't leave it in the safe onboard the ship), then you have the option to IMMEDAITELY fly to the next port island an meet the ship and re-board.

So, yes, it's true you don't need a passport as long as you make sure to not get stranded on a foreign island.

SO think of a passport like insurance.

Hope this helps!

How long it takes to return is going to depend upon the individual circumstances and where one is when leaving the ship (and why). Under the right circumstances one can have the document they need to travel in less than a day (if one is in a port with a Consulate/Embassy with an emergency). I'm not reading a lot of stories about US citizens being stranded in port, so even in a place like Cozumel there has to be a procedure in place to get those traveling without a passport home. Should this happen my advice is to immediately contact the port agent- this individual has likely seen it all and will know exactly what you need to do to get home.

It is up to each traveler to assess their own personal risk level (very low for most) and their comfort with that risk coupled with their individual travel needs. We waited to obtain passports until we needed them for international air travel and used less expensive alternatives until then.

And even if one has a passport this does not mean that someone will be able to just jump on a plane and return directly home. I did read about one family that decided to leave mid-cruise for an emergency back home and they made it back in about 3 and a half days- about an hour and a half before another couple who had stayed on the ship.

We always take passports with us.

Many years ago while touring Europe, another couple traveling with us had their passports stolen in Italy. She had them in her purse and set the purse on the floor while having lunch. Quick as a wink it was stolen. They had copies of their passports in the hotel so they took them to the American Embassy and they were able to get new passports in a couple of days and rejoined the rest of us in a short time. So having copies of your passport and speed up the process of getting new ones quicker.

We always take passports with us.

Many years ago while touring Europe, another couple traveling with us had their passports stolen in Italy. She had them in her purse and set the purse on the floor while having lunch. Quick as a wink it was stolen. They had copies of their passports in the hotel so they took them to the American Embassy and they were able to get new passports in a couple of days and rejoined the rest of us in a short time. So having copies of your passport and speed up the process of getting new ones quicker.

Not to put too fine a point on it she had her purse stolen. Her passports happened to be in her purse. The State Department recommends carrying your passport separately from your other valuables to prevent just this type of occurrence.