Roll Call etiquette when cancelling a cruise.

gigianne

If you have posted on a Roll Call that you are on a particular cruise and then you cancel that cruise, do you post that you cancelled. I think this is common courtesy especially if you have joined private tours.

Edited by gigianne

I would definitely go back to the Roll Call and let them know that we had cancelled the cruise.

This way the person arranging private tours will know if they need to try and get a couple of other people to join the excursion -- may even help someone who wanted to take that excursion but were told there wasn't any more room.

I agree 100% gigianne. I've only had to cancel once, but I posted right away on the roll call.

some people put in work on the roll calls (meet and greets, luncheons, activities and nametags) as well as private tours.

I've even been on a roll call where the OP who started the roll call cancelled and didn't let us know.

It's the polite thing to do IMO :)

It would depend my degree of involvement with the Roll Call. I joined one well over a year out, when there was virtually no activity and only a couple of other passengers signed up. When we had to cancel the cruise shortly thereafter, I felt no obligation to announce it. Fortunately, that's the only cruise we've had to cancel, and on others where we have committed to onboard activities or group excursions, we definitely would have advised everyone.

I have had to cancel once and I let the roll call group know immediately.

What is more annoying, is people who sign up for the M&G and don't bother to show up. Name tags, reminders sent to the cabins, their names had been included in gift exchange etc.etc. and they end up no shows. Very bad mannered. There is always a way they cld have contacted the leader if an emergency arose to let them know. A lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes to make these M&G work. Some of them are huge with lots of activities that have to be worked out and thx goodness the majority of members appreciate the efforts that have gone into putting them together.

Common courtesy would suggest that if you have signed onto a Roll Call and for whatever reason decide to cancel, you should tell the Roll Call you will not be participating anymore.

If by chance I had agreed to participate in any private tours, I would send an email to the tour organizer as well as post to the Roll Call that spots are now available on certain tours.:)

What is more annoying, is people who sign up for the M&G and don't bother to show up. Name tags, reminders sent to the cabins, their names had been included in gift exchange etc.etc. and they end up no shows. Very bad mannered. There is always a way they cld have contacted the leader if an emergency arose to let them know. A lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes to make these M&G work. Some of them are huge with lots of activities that have to be worked out and thx goodness the majority of members appreciate the efforts that have gone into putting them together.

^^I agree.^^

I believe it's simply a case of common courtesy and manners. We have seen this happen on a roll call before. I am currently on one where the Originator of the roll call has disappeared, and does not respond to posts asking if all is OK. So we can only assume they have cancelled and no longer check the roll call. And hope it is nothing more serious than that.:(

Some of you may know that I custom make name tags for the M&G that I participate in. There is nothing more frustrating then returning home from a cruise with name tags for people who a) did not show up at the M&G or b) cancelled the cruise and did not post on CC. A little bit of common courtesy goes a long way!

If I've committed to attending a M&G, other event, or inclusion in a private tour, then I would consider it an obligation to let the roll call know I was canceling the cruise.

If I had merely signed up for the roll call, and nothing else, I would consider it polite to inform the others I had canceled.

Some of you may know that I custom make name tags for the M&G that I participate in. There is nothing more frustrating then returning home from a cruise with name tags for people who a) did not show up at the M&G or b) cancelled the cruise and did not post on CC. A little bit of common courtesy goes a long way!

I've had that happen as well on an "O" cruise after printing off dozens of fancy name tags. I vowed "never again" .

We had to cancel a transatlantic Miami to Copenhagen cruise on NCL Star a couple years ago. Had booked it a year and a half in advance but as final payment approached my employment situation was getting pretty rocky so we bailed. Good thing because an ownership change had me out the door two months later.

Aside from letting the Roll Call people know we would not be going with them I also tried to find someone to take over the web site I had created for the cruise. But nobody stepped forward and I never knew what happened to it. I had put many hours into it with pages for each port and lots of links for Miami and Copenhagen info. :(

YES YES YES

I currently have a roll call for the Maasdam 33 Day Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas for March 24, 2017 and have put quite a bit of work into HELPING other travelers (as well as for myself) on that cruise and would so appreciate being told if they had cancelled. I had to play detective and figured out two people, who had excursions with me, who had bailed. Some excursion owners will not accept your word that the person will not be there and in turn, fills a spot someone else may want.

So YES YES YES common courtesy would be so appreciated for you to take a couple extra minutes and post on the roll call that you have left the cruise.

Happy Sailing All!!

If you have posted on a Roll Call that you are on a particular cruise and then you cancel that cruise, do you post that you cancelled. I think this is common courtesy especially if you have joined private tours.

Yes!!

In the past couple years I've been on several roll calls where the OP just "disappeared". It's confusing and annoying. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After thinking it would never happen to me, I have had to cancel two cruises in a (very long) row. I posted on the roll call and the FC listing both times.

The first, an Alaskan cruise this year had a rocky roll call, my perspective of course, and not very welcoming as it was clear their was a clique organizing activities for select members only. Irregardless, I received some good wishes and regretful posts in reply. When sick such good wishes mean a lot.

The second cruise was booked for the summer 2017. Although I had done hours and hours of research and posted a port by port guide with photos, maps and weather I received zero comments in response to me cancelling. Not even a get well soon.

I think common sense and manners should dictate posting to others you have communicated/made arrangements with. Aalthough not required, a post in reply would probably be appreciated.

After thinking it would never happen to me, I have had to cancel two cruises in a (very long) row. I posted on the roll call and the FC listing both times.

The first, an Alaskan cruise this year had a rocky roll call, my perspective of course, and not very welcoming as it was clear their was a clique organizing activities for select members only. Irregardless, I received some good wishes and regretful posts in reply. When sick such good wishes mean a lot.

The second cruise was booked for the summer 2017. Although I had done hours and hours of research and posted a port by port guide with photos, maps and weather I received zero comments in response to me cancelling. Not even a get well soon.

I think common sense and manners should dictate posting to others you have communicated/made arrangements with. Aalthough not required, a post in reply would probably be appreciated.

Totally agree with the statement I have bolded.

I hope you are well soon and able to enjoy great cruises ;)

And might I add that Gigianne's name tags are works of art. I would be totally ticked off if I spent the time, effort and money to create them and had people who made no effort to let me know they had cancelled or just didn't show.

And might I add that Gigianne's name tags are works of art. I would be totally ticked off if I spent the time, effort and money to create them and had people who made no effort to let me know they had cancelled or just didn't show.

+1. We have cherished every one we have ever been lucky enough to receive.

Agree---they are real keepsakes.